Home The Lounge
Options

Non-Smoker Piper?

This is going to be very strange, I'm not a smoker and never was. I picked up the pipe again after 16 years as a way to relax like i enjoy a good bourbon. I have always loved the smell of a good pipe and decided to pick it up again (my wife hates the idea). I never smoked cigarettes and do not like the smell or anything about them. I dont smoke my pipe everyday.  I dont crave smoking my pipe like i dont crave a pour of bourbon or wine.  I dont consider myself a smoker even now.  Do you?  Should i say i am a smoker now if someone asks me?

Comments

• Options

@Londy3 I was never a cigarette smoker either. I developed a strange attraction to the pipe at an early age - probably greatly influenced by those Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies - and stuck with it. And it took me many years to discover the pipe as a source of relaxation instead of just blowing smoke and having something to do with my hands. Like you, I've never craved a bowl in the way a cigarette smoker craves that nicotine hit. And should I choose I could go for days without smoking. I do it all the time when I'm sick. If I have a cold or upper respiratory infection I'll lay off the pipe until I'm well. And not miss it. Unlike cigarette smokers who you'll see on their deathbed from throat cancer, with a cigarette protruding from the hole in their throat. 

As for whether or not you should say you're a smoker is something else all together. First and foremost to whom are you speaking to? And why would they need to know that information? Maybe I've been watching 'The X-Files' too much but I don't trust anyone. Revealing too much information about yourself sometimes comes back to bite you in the ass. That information about being a smoker might have a negative effect on everything from applying for a job to getting health insurance. The people who know me well, are aware of me being a pipe smoker because they've seen me actually smoking a pipe, or entered my house and discovered my pipe collection. So unless you find yourself in a situation when an old friend shows up unexpectedly while your smoking your pipe and says, "I didn't know you smoked a pipe." Well, that's when a response like, "Oh yea, I've been smoking for about seven months and really enjoy it." might be applicable. Otherwise unless your discussing joining a pipe club with a like minded individual then volunteering information about something most consider to be a vice or detriment to your health should be seriously considered.

I have to go now I think I hear the black helicopters circling my house again.