Home Ask an Expert
Options

New to tins

I've been enjoying the pipe now for a little over a year.  I've only smoked "house" blends from local tobacconists but I recently bought a tin of Drew Estates Harvest on Hudson.  The house blends that I had been purchasing were fairly moist, and that's what I got used to.  However, when I opened the Drew Estates tin, I found that it was dramatically drier.  It wasn't crumbling or turning to dust when handled, but it was drier than what I'm used to.  My question is; is this normal?  It still smokes well and tastes amazing (a much more subtle flavor than the house blends I'm used to).  I'm just curious if I need to add some moisture or not.

Comments

• Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

Jake, it really depends on the blend. Some blends are heavily cased with propylene glycol, and will hold quite a bit of moisture. House blends of the aromatic variety tend to be heavily cased, but not always. Again, it all depends on the blend.

When drying my tobacco prior to smoking, I like it slightly crispy, but not so dry as to have it crumble to dust during the process of loading a bowl. Depending on the particular blend you are smoking, you will learn your preferred ideal moisture content for that blend through trial and error

Some blends in particular, such as the Sam Gawith flakes, need additional drying time, because they tend to hold extra moisture, even though they are not heavily cased with propylene glycol.

• Options
    @WookieeJake I believe that's the normal consistency of Drew Estate Harvest On Hudson. If it seems to burn too hot you might consider rehydrating  the tobacco - which is a relatively easy procedure. There are several YouTube Pipe presenters who can show you a few easy methods. You sound like you might be an aromatic smoker like myself - and a majority of the blends I smoke are moister than many seasoned vets actually like. So I'm inclined to believe your tobacco is probably just right as is. 
  • Options

Dutch and Pompeii, thanks fellas.  I really appreciate the input.  I do like the aromatics, but I'm trying to see what all is out there; taste a little bit of everything.  Really glad a stumbled on this forum.

• Options
    I would venture to say your tinned lend is fine; it's the bulks you have been buying that were too wet. Welcome  to the hobby.
  • Options
    I appreciate the input and the welcome Jud.  That seems to be the general consensus that I've gotten from here, local tobacconists, and other research I've done.  And just as aside, I really cannot praise this forum enough.  I think I've found a new home.
  • Options
    @WookieeJake Welcome to the group. Nice bunch of guys and gals here to help in any way they can. I've been smoking for a little over 50 years and I'm still learning new things that make my pipe smoking experience much more enjoyable. I developed some really bad habits that I wasn't even aware were bad habits. But once corrected I damn near all but eliminated tongue bite, can usually smoke without relights, and can make a bowl last two or three times longer than when I puffed like a locomotive. But I must admit ... I'm still an aromatic smoker and haven't graduated to English blends. But that sure hasn't kept me from enjoying my pipe. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @WookieeJake -- I'd like to add to the welcome expressed by @ghostsofpompeii (our local aromatic guru). If you have any questions or concerns, bring 'em up and one of us will be there to help ya! 
  • Options
  • Options
    Welcome @WookieJake to TPL!

I find that house blends are moister than blends in tins, but that could be due to most house blends being more on the aromatic side of things. The dryness of blends in tins doesn't bother me, since I prefer my tobaccos being more on the dryer side.

You can always by a little coin humidifier to stick in your tins. Your local tobacconist should sell them alongside the little pipe knickknacks like pipe tools and reamers. You could place the tin contents in a mason jar and stick the coin in there to hydrate them a bit, but that's up to you.

I find tobaccos from McClellands and Cornell & Diehl have more moisture to them from how they're tinned compared to other companies. You should check their tins out if you'd prefer to have blends with more moisture in them.
  • Options
    You guys are absolutely awesome.  I've learned more here in the past week than I have in the past year.  I really do appreciate all the input.  As for the dryness of the Drew Estates, I think I actually like it.  Bought a Missouri Meerschaum to smoke it in, and I really can't complain.
  • Options
    A lot of people say that if you pinch some tobacco and it stays in a clump it's too wet. If you pinch and it just falls apart, it's good. If you pinch and it breaks to pieces, too dry.
  • Options
    I've never had a Drew Estates blend that was dry when first opened. The 4 I've tried haven't been overly moist but weren't dry to the bone either.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Here are classic tins, most full and sealed, available for purchase.

• Options
    Thanks for the time machine ride Motie2.