Home General
Options

If You Can Smell The Tobacco Does It Mean The Mason Jars Are Not Working?

Besides having a closet shelf overloaded  with larger Mason Jars of bulk tobacco I have a small decorative chest acting as a coffee table in my family room where I keep smaller easy access 4oz. Mason Jars of tobacco for daily use. What I've noticed is upon opening the chest the delicious aroma of the various pipe tobaccos seem to permeate the inside of the chest. And while that's a nice aroma it has me a bit concerned. If my Mason Jars are indeed sealed properly, shouldn't that aroma be contained in the bottle and not leeching out? Any ideas?     

Comments

• Options
    I might add that there are also tins of premium tobacco which I've cracked open ... so maybe the aroma is coming from them instead. But a general sniff of the tins doesn't reveal any aroma escaping from them either.
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

Best thing to do for peace of mind, is to dip the top of your mason jar in paraffin wax, after sealing it as tight as you can get it by hand. This will help insure that your mason jars stay air tight, regardless of temperature and humidity fluctuations.

As for aromatics, some of them ghost a pipe so hard, I wouldn't be surprised if you might be able to smell them clean through the door of a bank vault.

• Options
    Opened tins, especially square ones tend to dry out indicating air exchange.