Options

Wind Covers

Who uses Wind Covers?
What kind do you use?
Have any that are junk?
What is the best Wind Cover?

Comments

• Options
    I bought a couple Wind covers from China and the first two they sent were junk, the tabs were bent and it kept sliding out of the bowl, they were real nice about it, they sent me two more and they work great, I asked if they wanted me to return them and they said do what you want with them, if you can fix them good if not no worries.  Knowing I had two good ones to replace them I took some needle nose pliers and bent the tip of the tab, they hold real good now and I don't even think a Tornado could pull them out.  lol 
    I have to older pipes that have wind covers made on them, they are hinged so they are always attached to the pipe, personally I like to remove a wind cover if I don't need it so these new ones are nice. 
    Tell us your story on Wind Covers....
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I do not even know what a Wind cover is? Never seen one before.
  • Options

@Hiker Here is a picture of a wind cap or wind cover.

• Options
    @hiker007 they are very useful on them windy days, the one Ghosts pictured above is one of many designs. 
    When I get more time I will post pictures of a bunch of different covers.
  • Options
    I've got a pretty neat old Windless Sparkproof, or is it a Sparkproof Windless...  ?

It has the built in wind cover.  After spending hours and hours cleaning it up and restoring it I haven't had the heart to smoke it.

• Options

I use the removable ones for very windy days and when walking in the woods on Red Flag days.

• Options
    @Bonanzadriver I have two pipes with wind covers that were mounted on them, one German and one Swiss, I cleaned them both up and the look so good I think they will not be smoked anytime soon, they will be hung up to look at so I feel what your saying.

@Woodsman I have a few removable covers to use on my pipes on them windy days, them days when you have ash and sparks flying due to strong winds, sure don't want them hot ashes on my shirt or in my beard! lol 
    I would recommend everyone to have at least one or two removable wind caps/covers, you never know when a strong wind might come up out of no where, sure wouldn't want to start a fire somewhere and sure wouldn't want to have to relight your pipe in the wind.

• Options
    Digging out the old camera today, should have some pictures tonight or tomorrow....unless I forget, that happens more than I like it to!
  • Options
    EricRuarkEricRuark Newcomer
    I use wind covers all the time. I live on a sailboat and, in my case, they are almost indispensable. There are times, when I wish I still had my Bavarian Alpine pipe with the porcelain bowl and built in wind cover.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Do they make them to fit all pipes?  How does this work? 
  • Options
    @Londy3, Yes,they are adjustable, you just place on top of the bowl once your pipe is lit, it keeps the ashes from flying out of your pipe on windy days, if you have to relight you have to remove it.
  • Options
    The one I use is designed to fit bowls from 9/16" to 13/16", basically a medium 3/4" bowl. You Squeeze the two outer tabs and insert the two lugs in the bowl, if you have to tamp the cover has to be removed. If you smoke down  a short way and need to remove the cover let it cool down first because they can get very hot in the beginning of your smoke. You can relight through the cover, once again watch the heat. 
  • Options

@Woodsman Just so happen to have this little beauty, complete with attached wind cap - received as a gift from a fine fellow named Frank.  And I'm really enjoying it. We've had a lot of windy days lately and it's performing like a champ. Thanks again my friend!

• Options
    Taking pictures today, I will take pictures of standard wind cover, a modified wind cover and two pipes with mounted wind covers.  Should give people ideas on what we are talking about.
  • Options
    OK Here we go... Pictured are my Swiss and German Pipes with Standard Wind covers or caps built on them, you can smoke these pipes with covers on or off but they stay attached to the pipe, other Wind Covers are pictured that can be put on most pipes, the have springs with plungers on one side and tabs on other side, tabs go down into the pipe.  A lot of times these type will slide back up because they are cheaper metal and bend easy, one way to fix this is to bend the tip of the tabs with needle nose pliers, I have a picture of one with tabs bent and one without for reference.  Easy to to and they will not slip out on you.  
    Sorry for the grainy pictures but this is my older camera, not the best camera to do this.

Wind covers
    Wind covers on Swiss and German 
    Swiss, German and wind covers
     Notice tab is bent on one of the covers, both tabs on the one cover are bent and it holds onto the pipe very good. 

Close up of wind cover tabs-straight and bent
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 Those are some beautiful pipes. Reminds me of the pipes I see people smoking in the old Universal Horror flicks as they enter a Transylvanian inn and come upon the old innkeeper puffing one of these beauties who warns the customers not to venture forth beyond the Moors - or near the Castle Dracula after dark.   
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Once again, I find that I'm the guy who has completely missed the boat. While I agree that the pipes with wind covers are unique and beautiful, I've never sought or owned one.

The major difficulty I've had when smoking a pipe under windy conditions is getting the damn thing lit in the first place. Once it's going, smoking it has never seemed like that much of a problem. Keeping my hand loosely cupped over the bowl generally seems to do the trick.
  • Options
    I've got an older Wally Frank Viking with a wind screen that cuts the wind when it blows from the front like when you're steering a boat.Wally Frank Viking
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Thanks
    @Topaz75 I hear you, I did that for a while and then decided to stop getting my hand burnt, besides the two pipes in the picture were my first pipes with covers/caps and I got them because they called out to me and told me to get them...lol  After I got them and decided I wouldn't smoke them much I decided to get a couple cheap removable covers. 
    @Woodsman I sure like that pipe, never seen one like it but it sure is nice and it is unique!  Might have to find or make one like that! 
  • Options
    I bought a couple of the Chinese ones on Amazon.  Got the first chance to try it in a good breeze yesterday and it helped with keeping the pipe from overburning.
    At the price ($9 something for 2) they are no big loss if I ever misplace one.
  • Options
    @motie2 Looks like someone sliced a marshmallow in half, poked a hole in it, and then placed it on top of a button. But not before wiring it to a pipe.   
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Obviously, you've never seen a bottle of Grolsch Beer.

183d8c4e3d71900da044762bc9000e56

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 5.10.53 PM
  • Options
     I haven't seen the pop tops since my sojourn at Fischbach, Germany drinking Parkbrau half liters. Tower Rat Forever!
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Guys there is no way air can get into the bowl with one of those unless a hole is drilled through the ceramic. Looks cool though.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Is there anyone else who didn't get that it's a joke?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Weber had a solution: "The Windpruf"

WEBER WINDPRUF PIPE
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Yes, @motie2, I'm a little slow on the uptake :-)