Home Ask an Expert
Options

Selling Estates Through 3rd Party

I was curious as to whether or not anyone has ever sold any estate pipes through smokingpipes.com or even P&C?

If you have, how much of a percentage do they typically take?

It is something I have always been curious about, especially when it seems much easier to just post them on Ebay or offer them up for sale on the various pipe smoking forums.

Comments

• Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

It is my understanding that the going rate is around 30%, but some brokers may charge a little more, or a little less. If the pipe needs restoration work, the broker may offer to purchase the pipe outright in it's existing condition, or they may charge more than 30% commission, to compensate for their labor.

It would seem to me, that this service would be ideal for someone who values their own time, and would rather have someone else handle the negotiations for a reasonable fee.

I inquired once about such a service, and I was asked the brand names, on the pipes I wanted to sell. I got the feeling that the seller didn't really want to resell any cobs, or pipes that originally retailed for lower values. I suppose if they invest a couple hours in listing, and shipping a pipe, they would like to make more than $15 on a transaction, if the winning bid was only $50.

• Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    Thanks @xDutchx, this has been something I have been curious about for some time so you have put my questioning to rest.