Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Irish Flake

I am a big fan of Peterson's Irish Flake, and have a number of the rectangular pop-top 50g tins in my cellar from recent years.
The recent shipment I received has the circular 50g pop-top tins.
Has anyone smoked these yet?
There is no description on these new tins.
Is the tobacco different from the recent past?

Comments

• Options
    Is there a different address or parent company name? If there's none and it tastes the same. I've read some people saying the square tins aren't as airtight as the round ones and don't keep the tobacco as fresh after opening.
  • Options
    A few years ago, Peterson changed their manufacturing of their blends to MacBaren, so the current Irish Flake isn't the same as the classic blend. However, Rattray's took over some of Peterson's old recipes under new names, and has the classic Irish Flake blend under the name Stirling Flake. A few other Peterson blends also moved over to Rattray's, but under new names, like Macbeth (Sherlock's Blend), Red Lion (Old Dublin), and Wallace Flake (University Flake).
  • Options
    APCookAPCook Newcomer
    @woodsman I think that is why I am concerned. There is no information on the new label. No parent company, no tobacco description. It is from a reputable source, so I know it is the real deal, but not sure if they changed it. I guess I'll have to pop the tin earlier than usual.
  • Options
    APCookAPCook Newcomer
    @thebadgerpiper this is a new switch in the last month or two, but I hadn't heard that about Rattray's.... I have been eyeballing some of their flakes, but have only had their English and VaPers. I'll have to grab a few Sterling and see what's up.