Home General
Options

Should one have a "Guest" pipe?

Just wondering if its a good idea or polite to have pipe designated for company? Maybe you have a friend come over to visit who forgot his pipe at home and you want to share a newly acquired tobacco blend. Or you have a guest who has never tried pipe smoking and is curious. kind of a old communal tavern pipe idea. Does anyone have a "guest pipe? What is the protocol or pipe smoking etiquette in a similar situation? 

Comments

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @BrettGignac, that is an absolutely brilliant question.  I have often thought it was only good manners to have a pipe for a guest.  Maybe a corn cob, since they don't require breaking in?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I don't think this is expected of anyone, however having a couple of new Missouri Meerschaums laying about might prove auspicious should one care to proselytize on occasion. Do the world a favor: convert a cigarette smoker.  
  • Options
    I never thought of it but, it's not a bad idea. I have a few I put aside to help some of our newer smokers that have a disaster happen to their only pipe so that would be another use for one of them.
  • Options
    That sounds like a good idea, never considered that.

• Options
    I think it's a great idea to keep a pipe available for guests. I keep a guest pipe on my rack for guests. I've had people come over that expressed an interest in trying pipe smoking, so I'll pull it out and pack it for them to try. It's the best way to introduce someone to smoking a pipe, especially since they'll be sitting with someone who knows what their doing. Once they've tried it and gone on their way, I'll give it a good cleaning and leave it ready for the next guest.
  • Options
    What's a guest? I get excited when a stray cat enters my yard and gives me a polite meow. The last unexpected guests I had that dropped by came when I wasn't home and stole my TV and sound bar, my wife's jewelry, and a couple of iPads.  
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    That is a wonderful suggestion. I always keep a fresh Country Gentleman in reserve for anyone who would like to join me. I also have been keeping a small dividend of loose tobacco to give to any pipe smoker I may encounter as a gesture of comradery. 

Putting those together with possibly some matches and a horseshoe nail would make such a wonderful gift. You could offer a guest a smoke and send him off all set with hopefully a great memory of his introduction to pipe smoking. 

I believe Mr. Gignac, you are onto something. 
  • Options
    I have a couple of old, underused briars that I have designated as loaner pipes. I just clean the stems real good with grain alcohol before and after use.
  • Options
    Subtilis87Subtilis87 Newcomer
    During college, we started a pipe club and we purchased 7 Missouri meerschaum corn cobs for members who did not own their own pipe to smoke.  I would sanitize the stems between each meeting.  College has come and gone, and now these pipes serve as my "guest pipes"
  • Options
    It sounds like a nice idea but then you're left with the problem of how many pipes should I have - one new pipe for each guest - or one pipe for all guests. And if that's the case you're assuming they don't mind putting a pipe into their mouth which was in someone else's mouth earlier. And if that doesn't seem to be an issue with them because they assume you've properly cleaned the pipe between uses ... then why buy a pipe specifically for guests when you can just as easily offer one of your own. I'm sure the rules of etiquette have changed drastically since the days of the common tavern pipe. As have health issues and communicable diseases. What might have seemed like etiquette or protocol in the early 18th or 19th Century would clearly be deemed a health risk today. So unless you plan on having a cigar box of full of dedicated inexpensive Dr. Grabow pipes still sealed and sanitary in the original cardboard and plastic packaging for guests I see no benefit in buying a dedicated pipe you'll never smoke for someone who might come over for a smoke. If you want to be the perfect host offer him or her (what-ever the case may be) one of the pipes you consider to be your best smoker. And if he or she accepts you've got yourself a true pipe buddy.    
  • Options
    Never though about this, but yes, why not? Keep a couple of corncub pipes for guest may work.
  • Options
    DarmonDarmon Master

I picked up one of MM Smokeable Seconds Grab-bags for such the occasion.

• Options

The more I thought about this question the clearer my answer became. If you have more than one pipe ... and chances are most members at this site have a few in their collection - why have a special pipe for guests? You have several cups, dishes, glasses, and forks & spoons in your home. And when guests come over you don't have a special coffee cup, glass, or eating utensil for them, do you? You simply reach into the cupboard and place before them the cup, glass, dish or spoon you might have used yourself the night before. Properly washed, of course. So why should it be any different with your pipe? If you feel comfortable enough sharing a pipe with someone - provided you keep your pipes cleaned after smoking - why not remove one from the pipe rack from your private collection?  

On a practical level I'd assume anyone coming over to your home who is a pipe smoker would probably have their own pipe on their person, making this discussion a moot point. I seldom go anywhere without my pipe and a supply of tobacco in my pouch. So I'd be more apt to imagine a situation where I share one of my favorite tobacco blends with a guest than one of my pipes.    

• Options
    AristocobAristocob Newcomer
    Since we sell Missouri Meerschaum pipes this is an easy one for me, but even before we sold them I always kept a handful of MM Legends around for gifting to pipe-curious friends to try and keep as my gift to them. They may never smoke them again, but years later countless friends and coworkers have shown me their first pipe that they kept as a memento and it has always been the Legend that they received from me. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    This is a wonderful question. As a nice gesture, offer a new cob. They are inexpensive and they can share the experience. Especially, if they never tried or would like to try.  Why not?
  • Options
    Keeping a spare cob is a good option, since you can let them keep the cob if they enjoy themselves. I've given a friend of mine three briars and a cob the past few years, and he actually enjoyed the cob the most.
  • Options
    philwiedaphilwieda Newcomer
    I buy some MM nose warmers for about $2-$3 a piece, either corn cob or hardwood pipes. They're cheap, and good enough for a short smoke. The guest can take it with them if they want. If they burn through or get gunned up, I just pitch them in the trash.
  • Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that does this.

As I've stated in the past, I seem to have amassed a small stable, 40 + Briars and  6 or so MM's.  Admittedly, all but a few of my briars are old estates that I've resurrected.

Looking out over my desk right now I see that I' have about 15 or 16 of the briars in rotation for my enjoyment, but that leaves 20 or more, plus the 3 or 4 unsmoked MM's, for guests.

We are fortunate in that we live in a very social community.  Our weather is generally good and we seem to either host or attend cookouts / parties on a pretty regular occasion.  As a matter of fact, I'll be hosting a poker game up in the mancave in a bout a week and a half, June 2.

When we have folks over or when I'm having a poker game, the guys inevitably make their way up to the mancave.  Over the years it's usually been to enjoy a few cigars and sip Scotch, Bourbon or drink beer.

Since I've been bitten with the pipe bug I have had the opportunity to expose a dozen or more guys to pipes.  Several did so a bit reluctantly. Others seemed to really enjoy it.  I've probably converted 5 or 6 to the briar brotherhood, admittedly only 1 or 2 of them smoke somewhat regularly, but nowhere near as often as we here @ TPL do.
  • Options
    Smokingpipes.com

Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be

Monday, September 25, 2017 by Rachel DuBose

Loaning out pipes is a delicate subject at best, and I think it's safe to say we'd all rather pass on a corn cob than hand over a prized briar. When a friend from college dropped in a while back, however, I offered him my Dunhill, based solely on many years of friendship and the fact that he swore he had become a pipe smoker. We sat on the balcony, watching a hockey game through the sliding glass door, puffing on our pipes, and reminiscing about the days when we played together. A rescheduled flight had brought him to my door, turning a normally frustrating situation into a pleasant night.

The entire time, I found myself resisting the urge to remind him to pick his pipe back up when he set it down for too long — or worse, cautioning him to slow down when he puffed with too much intensity. "Slow down, but keep it lit" has been my own pet project over the last few months, and I instinctively wanted to teach the lessons I'd learned. More than that, though, I was concerned about my poor pipe. At one point he reached for the bowl after a round of quick puffing, opening his mouth to say something about the game — and then nearly dropped the pipe in his rush to set it back down. He stuck his thumb quickly in his mouth and grimaced at me. "Hot!"

"Yeah, it'll do that if you're not careful," I said, but it was with a laugh. I couldn't help it; he looked ridiculous, and it was obvious he wasn't as experienced as he'd claimed. Luckily, when I inspected the pipe after he'd headed back to the airport the next morning, it hadn't taken on any damage. Despite my nerves, I decided it was probably best that I hadn't interfered. Still, I considered it an entirely new lesson learned, and will make sure to keep a handful of cobs on hand from now on — just in case someone else unsuspectingly needs to borrow a pipe.

• Options
    I think having a few new MM Cobs around is a good idea, definitely the most sanitary and safest option.  Some would not want to smoke a used pipe and would be instantly turned off by it.  If they enjoy the smoke...or not...they can keep it....or toss it.  Heck, the cost of a new cob is about the same as a cigar that gets burnt to ash anyway.

I have tried in vain to "corrupt" several cigarette smokers to the pipe.  It is futile.  It seems that cigarette smokers, in general, just don't have the time to bother with a pipe.  They have a different mindset.

I think I have made "pipe kits" - each with a pipe (all decent briars), a wide variety of sample tobacco's, a pipe nail or pipe tool, some pipe cleaners, and matches, for about seven or so people that thought they would like to try a pipe.  Two were non-smokers, two cigar smokers, and the rest were cigarette smokers.  Out of all of them the only one that still smokes a pipe is one of the cigar smokers. 

I am not going to make anymore "kits" until I find they enjoyed smoking a "test" cob and want to join the 'dark side'.....sometimes we have cookies :)

• Options
    Well as a few of my smoking buddies have been known to stop by on a pretty regular basis they acually have a pipe stashed in my cabinet just incase they forgot theirs at home.
  • Options
    I would never use a Dunhill as a lender pipe to one of my friends. Sorry, I love them, but that's just asking for trouble. Instead, I keep a St. Ives pot billiard to "guide" friends into pipe smoking. I've only lent it out once, but it's ready should a friend mention an interest.