Home General
Options

Antlers: Tips and Tricks

I think that pipes carved from animal antlers/horns are very unique and cool looking. I am thinking of experimenting making some myself. Does anyone have any tips for working with said materials?

Comments

• Options
    I've always found it very difficult getting the deer to stand still long enough for me to lite the tobacco.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I have made tamps from these materials which they are quite suitable for. When you get past the hard exterior they have a much more hollow fibrous quality. The chances it will conform to what you want I assume will be minimal, at least for the bowl. The stem offers much more possibilities. Inlaid perhaps?

As far as it's ability to withstand the high temperature, I have no idea.

I do suggest that if that is your dream, then by all means, full steam ahead. There is no problem a dedicated man can't solve if he is so inclined. Please gentleman, refrain from wife jokes. 
  • Options
    I've seen several artisan pipe makers use parts of the antler more for decorative purposes between the shank and stem in much the same way as a metal band might be used. But I can't imagine the horn or antler would be able to take the heat for any extended period of time. Which is why many wood products other than briar are more prone to burn-outs. Should you go ahead with the project please share the finished product and your personal experience with the group. I'd be interested to know how it works out.  
  • Options
    Back in 1972 we had this one guy who would later get out of the Coast Guard and become a "free-spirit" who spent his free time making pipes from antlers he bought during port visits in Alaska. I had one of his made from the base of the antler with a copper stem wrapped in sailor's twine and varnished. He made the mouthpiece out of antler also. 

He made quite a few of them and sold them to crew members for $20 each. I remember mine actually smoking pretty good but you couldn't clinch it. 
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    On the show Hell on Wheels, the main character Cullen Bohanon smokes an antler bowled pipe throughout the entire series. It looked really cool.
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    Edit: It should also be noted that later on in the show he switched to what appears to be a paneled meerchaum.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I agree. Antlers make stunning pipes. I had one back in the day. 
    These beauties were posted in another antler discussion:

5O2N7XYY22S2

L2GTXJGKMTEO
  • Options
    Yeah those are great.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I wonder if they smoke as good as they look?
  • Options
    I stand corrected - that looks like a mighty fine pipe with a thick enough wall to handle the heat. I wonder if it's more like Meerschaum in that it's not something you'd want to build up a cake in the bowl.  
  • Options
    DarmonDarmon Master
    I've made a few writing pens and a few tampers from antlers. They smell when you are drilling or sanding or working the antler itself.  I am curious to see if the burning tobacco would take on some of that "smell".  Since when working the antlers its getting hot and the chamber will get hot while smoking.  I've only ever seen antlers used for the shank.  Interesting thought though. 
  • Options
    I tend to agree, cutting generates that burning bone smell, I don't think they'd be fireproof.