Home General
Options

When You Know There's Too Much Goop In The Bottom Of The Bowl

After a spell of damp and rainy days today proved to be a picture perfect day for an early morning smoke in the sun. So I pulled out a badly battered Oom Paul/Hungarian basket pipe that is clearly on it's last legs. Crack are abound, and fills are becoming more apparent. I'm expecting it to be my first experience with pipe burn-out in the near future. And as is the case with many basket pipes the draw hole seems to be drilled improperly so I can't get a pipe cleaner completely through to the bowl making it a chronic gurgler. So I do the best as I can while smoking - then give it a good cleaning afterwards.

Making matters worse was my choice of tobacco. I opted for my home-made concoction "Root Beer Float" which after adding excessive quantities of Watkins food grade flavor concentrates, as you might imagine, it's quite a moist blend and can cause the best pipes to gurgle.

After finishing my smoke I tapped out the residue and set the pipe down on the concrete stoop beside me as I drank the remainder of my coffee. Afterward I went back into the house to give the pipe a proper cleaning and what do you think I found ... an ant swimming in the puddle of goop on the bottom of the bowl.   

So when do you know when there is too much goop in the bottom of the bowl?  

When it's deep enough to become a water park for an insect.         

Comments