Home The Lounge
Options

Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.

Being the relative noob here @ TPL, I realize that my modest pipe stable
and tobacco crawl space (not big enough to be a cellar :P ) are really nothing more than a "good start" compared to the briar & leaf collection many of you here have amassed.

Not being one to shy away from a challenge I am doing my dead level best to correct this.

A
month or so ago I was perusing ebay looking for "tobacco jars".  I
wanted a couple of good sized jars for some of my fave's, ya know, MM
965, Frog Morton, Margate, etc...

Well I happened upon a fella in
PA that was selling 29 Anchor Hocking Tobacco Jars.  The seller didn't
want to ship em, and to be frank, he was asking too much for them to
begin with.  (Ya'll know I'm a csob right?)  This guy has an ebay store
and is always buying inventory from stores that are going out or are
outta business.  Over a few days we exchanged several emails and talked
on the phone a couple of times.

Oh, did I mention that most of
these jars still have tobacco in em?  Yup, he bought 29 jars from a C.B.
Perkins that went outta business.  He's not a pipe smoker and told me
that he was probably just gonna "Throw the Stuff Out"!  :o   I know right?!?!?  (I think he could sense my TADness over the phone and was just messin with me)

I
had him open a couple of the jars and check the tobacco, he stated that
it didn't seem dried out at all and some of them were surprisingly
moist.  I know, I know, what the heck does this guy know right? 
Regardless, the tobacco, if it's smokeable, is just a bonus, I was
really after the jars.

Oh, and it just so happens that my 24 y.o.
son Seth was on an assignment up there, not more than an hour from
where this fella was located, so there goes my "how in the heck am I
gonna get these without driving 8 hours each way" problem".

So,
over the last month or so I've been kinda keepin an eye on things up in
PA, and after talking to my son and learning that this was his last
week up there, I decided to reach out and check on the jars again.

Long
story short, we came to an agreement over the weekend and Seth met the
gentleman yesterday afternoon and picked em up for me. 

Seth and my prized cargo should arrive @ our house this coming Sunday or Monday.

Now, I've just gotta figure out where to put all of this stuff

The modest beginnings of a "Tobacco Shelf"...  The top one on the left, a couple of months ago.

imagephoto image_zps49jrgokd.jpeg">

My haul after the TAPS Show last month

imagephoto image_zpstrltdf7r.jpeg">

The Tobacco Shelves, as they appear now...

imagephoto image_zpsgkbc5keb.jpeg">

The latest acquisition...  Looks like I'm gonna need some more shelves.

imagephoto s-l1600_zps83smrcoy.jpg">

imagephoto TAD2_zpsppjxt8qh.jpg">

Comments

• Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    And I just thought my case of TAD was bad, what a cellar!

After seeing these pictures it has flared up even worse!

How did you come about the tobacconist jars of tobacco? 
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    You have nowhere near enough! Better step it up.

Is that a copy of Tiny Tim's autobiography Tiptoeing Through the Tulips on the shelf?
  • Options
    Philo, I found em on ebay, by accident.

Phillip, I've pretty much read every book on my shelves at least once and I do not ever remember reading a Tiny Tim autobiography.  :)

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @Bonanzadriver, you can store them at my house LOL :-)
  • Options
    What a haul! You no longer have a tobacco cellar - you have the makings for a tobacco store. Definitely don't chuck out any of the stuff if it's too dry. Just rehydrate it and you should be ready for the FDA DEEMING Apocalypse when and if it occurs.  Funny how quickly a hobby can become an obsession in the course of a year or two. It's happened to me and probably a majority of the guys and gals who post here. 
  • Options
    ghost,

I'm in trouble bud.   7 months ago I had one pipe, my Nording Freehand, and 1 bag of tobacco, Borkum Riff Bourbon.

Now I'm sittin on something like 40 pipes, 35 jars, 18 tins and half a dozen pouches of tobacco, and this is before the 29 new jars arrive. 

As for where to store all of this???  No worries, I've found some more book shelves on sale on craigslist...  :-)

• Options
    @Bonanzadriver, nice haul, the same thing happened to me a couple months ago, now suddenly I have a nice tobacco cellar.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Sir, I would lend you my copy of Mr. Tim's book, but it's autographed and I would be devastated if anything happened to it. 

Also, I know the discussion is about the budding Fort Knox of Tobacco you have going, but that collection of pipes may be the best thing in the photo. Very nice!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    Quite an impressive collection for such a short time span!  Your first photo shows your tobacco on a shelf near a window.  Might not be a good idea to allow direct sunlight to shine on your tobacco. 
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

Nice score Bonanza! Some of the best finds in the hobby, are leftovers from an out of business tobacconist.

You could just put all those books up in the attic, and the bookshelves would look pretty impressive if you just dedicated them exclusively to the hobby. You might think I am joking, but in reality I am not.

• Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Bonanzadriver, really good collection, not certain such acquisition is a negative. 
    Until joining TPL, never gave a thought to cellaring, or even crawl spacing tobacco, nor the bureaucrats in DC attempting to regulate every aspect of human life. Anyway, the idea of buying and giving some limited space for storage of bulk tobaccos struck me as an idea whose time has come, at least for me. Thanks to Ball and Kerr and Mason for providing a variety of canning jars. I now have several pounds of my favorite tobaccos stored. I even acquire about a half pound of Dunhill 965 which was severely dried out. A few buts of apple, change out over two weeks, a very smokable mixture was the result. 
    Thanks for the post, always good to hear of other's approach to the hobby.
  • Options
    Good looking setup, I like the "Fit" of your new jars, very efficient.