Home General
Options

Dumping The Ash As You Smoke

As an addendum to the @motie2 post about tamping during your smoke it brought to mind a related subject - how members deal with pipe ash as they smoke. If you continue to lightly tamp down the tobacco throughout the smoke, do you occasionally tap out the top layer of ash residue just above the ember to cut down on any ashy flavor - or do you simply smoke all the way down to the bottom of the bowl and then dump?

I personally find that so long as I don't require a re-light at some point n the smoke I'll simply let the entire contents burn down to the bottom of the bowl and then dump the ashes. But if I'm forced to relight I'll lightly tap out the top layer of ashy residue so I don't get the ash flavor.    

Comments

• Options
    Pretty much the same story for me.

I also like to smoke a pipe while golfing.  Having experienced the pipe ash in the eye scenario one too many times, I find myself dumping ash on the course with great frequency.
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

The ash can serve an important purpose, in controlling the oxygen content that enters the pipe. This in turn, will control the heat, so ash can definitely contribute to a better smoke. However, different tobaccos produce different consistencies of ash. Some are finer, some are coarser, so it depends on the blend, as to how much ash needs to be left.

Typically, I will use my pick to aerate the ash if it is of a fine consistency, and try to work with it. If I still struggle to get the pipe re lit, I will dump a portion of ash and give it another go.

• Options
    I have found an occasional problem relighting my pipe if I dump the ashes. For some reason, the tobacco that's left doesn't want to stay lit.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    I think the ash acts like a bit of insulation, keeping the heat in.  Might be more important in winter.
  • Options
    I like leaving the ash mot of the time, not only does it help with heat but if tamped down good it helps keep pipe burning consistently (not to much but not going out) in the wind.  I do dump a little if it goes out and it is around half way done but I tamp it first and just turn it over and I don't shake it at all. 
  • Options
    I usually remove ash as I get past the halfway point. I find that relighting can be an issue if there's too much ash at the top. Just removing a scoopful will usually take care of the job.
  • Options

If a soft tamp causes the draw to get harder, I tap the ash out.