Home Ask an Expert
Options

Tamping: Pros and Cons

To tamp, or not to tamp.... and when? How often? That is the question. I know @PappyJoe advises minimum tamping, especially in a slow smoking contest, but opinions and practices vary.

My preferred practice is to tamp after the charing light, and then try to avoid tamping unless/until the pipe goes out. This provides a most satisfying smoke, especially with a carefully packed bowl. (How to pack the bowl -- other than the widely heralded "spiral packing method" -- is a whole 'nother folder.)

I found this illuminating excerpt at http://www.puff.com/Content/Pipes/the-art-of-tamping.html where tongue bite/irritation is also discussed.

<<The reason you need to tamp as you are smoking is because when you pack the bowl, there are some gaps in the tobacco.  Also, as you smoke, the tobacco expands and as it expands, it pushes some tobacco away from it and causes air gaps.  As you get more experience, you will learn that sign when it starts to burn itself out.  You will first notice that your normal pull isn’t giving you the same amount of smoke.  This is when you should hit it with the tamper.  Don’t hit it hard, just give it a light tamp.  Think of it like you are stoking a fire; sometimes just a light poke of the logs will cause a flare up.  If you tamp too hard, not only will you pack it too tight and you will have to pull too hard, you could also tamp the ember out.  All it takes is a light touch.  As you gain more experience you will learn when you need to tamp, and how hard to tamp.  Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get it right in the beginning.  All of us have had to learn the proper techniques through experience and we all do it differently because it works for us.

If you’re like me you may be reading this saying “aw you experienced pipe smokers are just crazy.”  Believe me, I didn’t see the value in it either.  Over time though, I learned it is the best way to keep a consistent smoke going and it completely ended all tongue irritation problems I had.  I no longer have to deal with pain when drinking hot coffee or eating salty food, or even dealing with the pain when swishing with Listerine.  I can smoke to my heart’s content without having to worry about it.  Some tobaccos don’t need a tamp and others need more attention.  You will learn the signs and just do it without thinking about it as needed no matter what you are smoking.  Give it a try and keep working at it.  You too will see that tamping will increase the enjoyment of puffing on your favorite pipe and tobacco.>> 

Comments

• Options
    @motie2 - Balance is the key. Over tamping is the same as stomping out a small fire. Stomp hard enough and you put the fire out. How hard you tamp is also key. Generally speaking after the first light, I tamp firmly. Any tamp after the first one, I more or less let the weight of the tamp do the work. I am currently experimenting with putting the tamp on the tobacco and just rotating the tamper.
  • Options
    I find tamping to be a part of the pipe smoking experience. Never overdoing it but tamping with a gentle hand to keep the tobacco compacted loosely enough for proper air flow while maintaining contact between the tobacco and the ember.
  • Options
    I agree with @ghostsofpompeii, it's part of the process,I tamp after the charring light and only tamp when the ash gets too high in the bowl, I relight very little.
  • Options
    All my tampers are very light and I use them sparingly. As Motie2 said if your smoke output per puff drops down that calls for light tamping while puffing. One thing I do is when you've got a buildup of unsmoked tobacco on the sides of the bowl, I push it off towards the middle and tamp while puffing. This often will get it going. Keep your tamps light.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Some people I see use the tamp to poke the ash around. Take the pipe out of their mouth and fiddle around while they are looking down into the bowl. I have had more success when drawing while tamping and just trying to finesse the ember around.

I suppose if it's gone out, doing it the first way is a way to sort of reset things. 
  • Options
    I do have a habit of over tamping my bowl. It's a habit I've made with clenching and writing. I'll tamp if I get stuck and need to think. I will use that time to spread around the ashes and push the untouched tobacco into the middle of the bowl.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    If your pipe goes out, does anyone dump the lose ash before tamping and relight?
  • Options
    @Londy3 If I have an excessive amount of ash in the pipe I'll dump it before relighting. Don't like the taste of burnt ash as I'm drawing on the pipe to light it.
  • Options
    @Londy3,I leave it in, I was told when I first started that the ash keeps the pipe cool, so I leave it.
  • Options
    If I have a deep bowl I'll dump a little ash before hitting the bottom of the bowl with a lighter.  Ensures complete combustion.
  • Options

On a "normal sized bowl I will usually tamp 3 to 5 times before it's finally dead. As many have already stated: 1. I tamp after the initial charring 2. I consider it part of the smoking experience 3. I tamp very lightly, adjusting the ash to an even level. Usually the last tamp consists of lightly pushing the ash/tobacco combination slightly away from the outside of the bowl and toward the shank side of the bowl. I seem to get a little more smoke time with it positioned a little more over the air hole. Again, using a very light tamp...

I like @PappyJoe idea experimenting with circular movements with the tamper. Thank you sir for giving me something new to try...  

• Options

I tamp quite often, especially so after I get the pipe lit, and begin to build noticeable ash. I agree with pipeman83, that the ash should be left in the bowl for cooling purposes, until it begins to interfere with keeping the pipe lit. What the ash does, is restrict air flow, and in turn helps to keep the pipe cool. I have found that it is much easier to dump ash when the time comes, if you let your pipe rest long enough, that it returns to room temperature. If you try raking out the ash while the pipe is warm, sometimes you will lose some unburned tobacco in the process.

I prefer the method of working my tobacco in the shape of an upside down cone, or teepee. This keeps the burn centered, as well as keeps the ash ventilated, allowing heat to escape vertically, while still allowing oxygen to reach the burning ember.

I never focus on keeping the pipe lit, but instead focus on keeping the pipe barely lit. Sometimes that means my pipe goes out, but it keeps the pipe burning as cool as possible for maximum flavor. I've found that if I use my tamper properly, I can help to keep the pipe barely lit, while at the same time keeping pipe temps as low as possible.

• Options
    @xDutchx I like the upside down cone method.
  • Options
    @xDutchx — I’m curious about this teepee method of maintaining the ember. I’ll have to try that out.

I also tamp quite often. I tried tamping more often after hearing the “Tamp Dat Ash” episode of CSR. I’ve found that I have significantly fewer relights now. And, consequently, enjoy cooler, longer smokes. So I always suggest to those having trouble keeping their pipe lit to tamp often. That said, I also apply very minimal pressure during the first half of the bowl. About half way through I have to tamp harder to make any difference. 
  • Options
    I tamp the ash to keep to keep my pipe going.  A gentle tamp makes a difference and rarely do I need to relight my pipe.  I have friends who scoop out the ash and some who do not use a tamp at all.
  • Options
    A lot of people tamp with their fingers once the ash has built up.
  • Options
    +1 on the "inverted tee-pee" method.  Works spectacularly for me.
  • Options
    I tend to tamp more often than I might need to, but with a light hand, so relights are rare.