Home General
Options

Poor customer service

motie2motie2 Master
After the recent face plant at Pipes and Cigars, I was curious about how other forums and commentators dealt with the subject of poor customer service at pipe and tobacco shops. The folks in our forum appeared to be quick to criticize, but also quick to forgive. (I said I was going over to http://www.smokingpipes.com but when things settled down I went back to http://www.pipesandcigars.com) Many if not most of us are still doing business with P&C. The customer service critique I found the most interesting was by one jamestkirk2282 on March 31, 2014, but relating to B&M (Brick and Mortar) shops. It also mentions prejudice against Dr. Grabow pipes (a prejudice I shared until some of you straightened me out about Grabow's and Yello Bole brands).

<<Recently I was out shopping around my hometown and decided that I needed some new tobacco. I decided to stop in to my local B&M who has just recently opened up a new store closer to me. I asked him what tobaccos he would recommend, and once he saw my Dr. Grabow Riveria, he said “I wouldn’t load anything into that cheap piece of shit.”

Needless to say, I was more than a little pissed off. I said “Sir, all pipes work the same way; they all have the big hole for tobacco, a small hole in the back and a stem to smoke from, no?” He went into this diatribe about how the Petersons he had on the shelves smoked way better because they are made from quality woods, and not the castaways that Dr. Grabow uses. I decided then and there, that, if I go back to them, it will not be at that location. However, I said to him “Sir, your customer service is poor, and I wish to speak with your manager, is he available?” He gave me a sour look and said to me “No, he went to get more pipes, sorry”

That night, as I was headed home, I picked up the phone and dialed their main number for customer service and told of my experience in their new location. Whomever handled it was aghast and appalled at what had happened. They told me that the store does not treat customers in such a fashion, and assured me that they would deal with the clerk. They went on to tell me that they would offer me a pipe of my choosing or a gift card if I wanted. I told them that their apology was enough, butt if I ever went back to them, it would be a long time, if ever, and for the time being, I would be buying my pipes and tobacco from the internet, or another store. She felt heartbroken over the incident, but at the same time, it was shocking to me because I always felt that all pipe smokers, whether or not it was a Peterson or a cob, we all treat each other with respect and kindness, for one day, you may be the one needing the help.

I guess in some manner of karma, they had to close the location in the mall, and now only have two locations open. I was not hoping for them to close any shop, as I want my town to be a thriving pipe community, but if that is how they treat their customers – and I’ve been a customer there for years – then I reckon that is what they get, no?>>

Comments

• Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    motie

People can be asshats at times for sure. In my younger, stronger days I would have made a scene and called him out. But now that I a "seasoned" citizen, I would just laugh at the guy and tell him he just lost a probable $100 tobacco sale because of his demeanor, and that he would never see me in that store again if he were working the counter. I would have then done the same thing, called his employer and told him how disgusted I was.

As I get older and perhaps more mellow, I find there are so many nasty people in these commercial venues. Unfortunately it is in all probability due to the fact that these types are all that are available to the business owners for what they want to pay. Also, this is the fault of societal failure, family values, and perhaps education. These types have never been taught how to properly deal with and respect other people. I find there is no longer any respect for those older than themselves.

This dude may have thought he could get a sale on an expensive pipe, without knowing anything about tact or diplomacy.

Several years ago I had a torn achilles tendon and I was in a cast and had to (toward the end of my situation) use a cane and have my wife drive me around. So I decide to visit my local B&M for few good cigars with my "chauffer". The manager who was my friend was behind the counter while his.subordinate was stocking shelves. His subordinate worked part time and was just a strange load mouth dude. So I limp back to the humidor door with my cane, and I asked "pardon me" to get past the clerk. He looks at me and said if I bumped into him he would shove the cane, well you know where. I was flabbergasted as I was a very good and loyal customer, and I am a rather large guy and surprised by this short fat dudes' attitude. With that, overhearing the "confrontation", the manager told the clerk he would need at least four friends and himself to deal with me physically even in my current condition. I just looked at the dude, laughed and went about my business. Several minutes later when I came out of the humidor the manager was STILL reaming this kid out and apologized to me profusely. I was like, "no problem he is just an asshat". I have not seen him there since.
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

I used to think that folks like this congregated in certain activities, hobbies, industries, church etc. What I have found over the years, is that it's a people problem. Some folks are simply not satisfied, until they can stir some $hit. Sadly, stirring $hit seems to be what they are best known for, and their proudest accomplishment.

I remember when I was a youngster, hearing an old man make the statement, "People are trouble." I remember thinking to myself, what a horrible jaded outlook on life. At the same time, somewhere in the back of my mind, I had a feeling that he was telling the truth, and passing on some valuable information.

• Options

@motie2 Reminds me of my experience at The Tinder Box when asking the tobacconist behind the counter about aromatics and he smugly replied, "You want something sweet eat a donut ... you want to smoke a pipe choose tobacco." Now keep in mind The Tinder Box had several aromatic house blends he could have recommended, instead he decided to be an arrogant jackass and belittle me in front of a few of his regular customers who seemed to be in on the joke. I made it a point of not entering the store when I saw him behind the counter - then one day I went to the Mall and the place was gone and transformed into a Thomas Kincaid shop. If it was Karma that resulted in the eventual store closing it's a shame because other counter people were very pleasant and helpful and didn't deserve to lose their jobs. What all brick and mortar shops need to realize - regardless of what they sell - is the only things they have going for them are customer service and convenience ... because it sure isn't price. Especially tobacco shops. You can pay anywhere from two to three times the price at a B&M as an online store. Playing the role of arrogant Pipe Snob may have been his way of embarrassing you into buying one of his more expensive pipes ... but all his actions accomplished was keep him from selling over-priced tobacco to a paying customer.

• Options
    I had a co-worker named Alan in the Coast Guard back in the late 1970s who had an interesting experience when he went to buy a new camera. We were both photojournalists and had access to Coast Guard equipment, but we also both had our own cameras for non-Coast Guard work. Anyway, he went into a camera store with his wife and was looking at the new cameras. They were both in jeans and t-shirts at the time. No one came up to him and offered to help so he stopped on clerk. The clerk looked at him and said, "You can't afford any good Nikon equipment. Maybe you should look at something cheaper." 

Well, my friend who was very level headed said okay. Then he stopped another clerk and asked for the manager. When the manager came up to him, he pulled out an envelope with $3,000 in it, showed it to the manager and said, "I came in here to buy a new Nikon but that asshole over there refused to show it to me because he didn't think I could afford it. I'm taking my money elsewhere."

Alan walked out. Went to another store and got a good deal on his camera. A couple of weeks later he went back to the first store and ran into the manager who told him that clerk had been fired and gave him a discount on a couple of lenses.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    @motie2 - Most of us started smoking a Dr. Grabow pipe. I still have my Dr. Grabow pipes and smoke them every now and then as well as my Wenhall which was my favorite in the 70s. The best pipe is the pipe that smokes well, is comfortable, and is enjoyable to it's owner.  Obviously, a pipe with a big price tag is not always the best smoke.  Neither is the most expensive tobacco necessarily the best smoke. 

As for that clerk, he was clearly ignorant and although the shop you mentioned closed, it was likely for the better if they had that type of representation and service.  Just curious, since he was so opinionated and prejudice, was he a pipe smoker and if so, what pipe brand was he smoking?  Sounds like he was pushing Peterson but wonder if he smoked one himself? 
  • Options
    @charles - most likely he got a commission on sales and the Peterson's pipes meant a bigger commission.
  • Options
    My closest B&M is 3 towns over, they sell tobacco and pipes as a sideline, mainly they sell cigars. They allow cigar smoking but, not pipe smoking; so, I allow them not to be a store I deal with. J&R Cigars in Hanover allows pipe smoking and lets the local Pipe Club to meet there. It's about 14 miles away and well worth the trip. 
  • Options
    philwiedaphilwieda Newcomer
    I think certain specialty businesses have employees and or owners who think they are the "expert" and will expound their opinion on what they "think" is right. I haven't had too much issue in tobacco shops, but in gun shops…lots! Some owners are in the business(tobacco, guns, bar/tavern) just so they can brag about owning one. Those guys lose in the end.
  • Options
    A wise shop owner would carry the Dr. Grabows as well as the expensive pipes to cater to as many new and regular customers as possible. Plus the price for having a display of Grabows won't put too big a dent in his overhead budget. Then he or she could focus on matching customers with tobacco blends and reel them into the hobby. Then once a new smoker has made a solid connection to a few favorite tobacco blends, and experienced the pleasure of pipe smoking they're more apt to go headlong into the hobby and all that goes with it - including stepping up and buying the more expensive pipes.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    The only B&M near me is Barrister Cigars. The owner told me he doesn't stock very much for pipe smokers, but he'd ".... order anything I want," (at a premium price, of course, but he didn't mention that. The next closest place, Smokers Haven in Metuchan, carries a very large stock of pipes and pipe tobaccos, but all the tobaccos are house labeled and bulk. It is, however, a really nice pipe tobacco menu -- http://smokershavennj.com/pipe-tobacco/ 
    If I ever grow tired of Sutliff blends, I'll definitely look into Smokers Haven
  • Options
    My local B&M is right across the street, so I don't have too far to go, even though they are predominately a cigar shop, he does have a section for pipes, tobacco, and other accessories, and has his own house blends and welcomes pipe smokers amongst the cigar crowd, and he welcomes our pipe club twice a month, it's a family owned business that was started by his father and now he owns it. I've been a customer there for 32 years.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I have used Thompson Cigars for placing on-line orders. I live close to Tampa and have enjoyed visiting the Thompson Wharehouse Store. However, during my last visit the clerk was very rude to me. I have placed another order on-line, but have not been back into the store. Customer service can either make or break a business. On a different note, I enjoy visiting my local B&M, Edward's Pipe and Tobacco. They attempt to get to know their customers on a first name basis and like to personally get to know you. I know I might pay a little more in the B&M, but I like having a local place to hang out and smoke at.
  • Options
    As someone who spent a few months in sales (and hated it), I can't understand this mentality of insulting the customer and their taste in order to push a different product. I understand if there's a bonus for selling these items, but you have to earn the trust of the customer and treat them with respect. I remember a friend of mine bought me a pipe lighter for my birthday from a Tinderbox we'd been to, and had a hassle with the guy behind the counter. The guy sold him the lighter, but was much more interested in trying to get him to buy a cigar from him instead. While I'd certainly go back to that store if I was in the area (it's an hour and a half away from me), I wouldn't put up with that.
  • Options
    @Hiker007 - I placed some orders with Thompson Cigars about 10 or 15 years ago and at first everything was pretty good. Even ordered a box of their personalized cigars and they weren't too bad - I remember them being about on par with some of the $4 or $5 dollar cigars at my local B&M. Then their quality and service started going downhill and I finally emailed and called them and told them to take me off their mailing list. 

I found a couple of Edward's Algerian Briar pipes a while back and have finally gotten around to getting the bowls cleaned and de-ghosted to my satisfaction. Now I'm working on the stems in an effort to save them. They were both badly oxidized and chewed up. Do the still sell Edward's Pipes?

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master

<<Edward’s pipes were originally produced in St. Claude France when Francais actually was a world-class pipe maker with longstanding business & political connections to Colonial Algeria that allowed them to obtain the finest briar.

During the tumultuous 1960's, Edward’s created a business model to offer the finest briar available in both Classic and Freehand shapes - all at a fair price. They bought the company & equipment and cornered the market on the finest, choice Algerian Briar just before the supply vanished in political turmoil of Algeria's independence. Edward’s packed up both machinery and briar-treasure to America, safely caching the essentials to create a new pipe-making dynasty. This was a coup, for the 70’s and 80’s were grim years for pipe smokers as quality briar all but disappeared.

Edward's Design Philosophy is hard to pin down, think of their style as the "American Charatan" with unique & clever twists all their own. Today, they fashion pipes in several locations across the USA. All of Edward's pipes are Algerian Briar - a fact very few pipe companies can claim, and all are oil-cured utilizing natural finishes - no strange concoctions are used to interfere in your tastebud’s dance with the briar. Algerian, Calabrian, Sardinian, Corsican - take your pick, but Algerian Briar is generally considered the finest smoking briar ever used. When combined with oil-curing, Algerian takes on a magical quality that even Alfred Dunhill recognized as far back as 1918 as the choice for both his Bruyere and Shell.

http://www.otcpipes.com has a nice collection of vintage Edward's pipes along with scans of Edward's catalogs.>>
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    The otcpipes link is dead. Sorry.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @motie2 I wonder what the clerk would have said if you had one of your
    EA Carey pipes instead of the Dr. Grabow?  As far as P&C well...  I am still waiting on the rest of my order and I have
    not placed any new orders with them nor do I plan to. I know they have had some nice
    sales but not for me I am still bitter for now; I will stick with my local B&M. Sorry to hear about your experience.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @piperdave -- I wouldn't have cared. I love my four Carey's and my Carey-derived Duncan Hill (the only one I paid more than $15.00 for). We each have our favorite pipes and brands of pipes, and my mind is made up. I also am on a limited budget and couldn't even begin to own some of the fantastic pipes y'all have. Sure, I'm envious, but I'm also a realist.
  • Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    I think customer service is relative to the location and good in question; if you really want it, or it is a rare item you are likely to deal with poor service to obtain it. If it's just a pouch of carter hall you will take your business else where (provided its not an hour away). And so far as clerks being rude and not recommending a type/style of tobacco requested, they should not care. The pipe is the car and the smoke is the gas, they should not care what car you drive or what  grade of gas you put in as long as you are buying. At that point it's not poor service (that reflects on the business) but poor salesmanship (that reflects on the individual).
  • Options
    When it comes to rude service I vote with my money and my feet. Life is too short to deal with that kind of thing.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @Woodsman Agreed. While Pipes and Pipe tobacco are a small market there are many places to spend my money without the rude treatment.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    People are strange. There was, and may still be, a bar in North Beach in San Francisco called "The Saloon". Back in the 1970s, there was an elderly bartender there whose specialty was verbally abusing the clientele. The regulars actually seemed to enjoy it and probably would have been disappointed if at some point the bartender didn't call each one of them an asshole.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    @PappyJoe. To answer your question. I have always thought that the name (Edward's) of the B&M I visit was named after the man who first opened it. However, I learned this week that at one time pipes were made and refurbished at the location. It has changed ownership and now focuses mostly on cigars (even with serval house blends.). They still carry a few pipes and a small selection of pipe tobacco. They are very friendly towards pipe smokers and have plans to attempt to once again reach out to the pipe community.