Home General
Options

General Dissatisfaction Of All Aromatic Whiskey Blends

I have yet to find a decent Whiskey aromatic ... any suggestions. My first experience with a whiskey blend was Borkum Riff, and recently it has become one of my least favorite OTC blends. I smoked it for years but once the packaging changed I believe the blend changed as well. And it's become almost unsmokable for me. Although Borkum Riff does have a limited edition blend 36 Degrees North, flavored with California Wine which is pretty decent. But as for other whiskey blends I've yet to find a satisfying smoke. Maybe as long as I'm smoking aromatic blends I should just stick with the sweet vanilla, chocolate, maple, fruit, and caramel aromatics and forgo the rum and whiskey blends.   

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Rum seems to be a better fit with aromatic tobaccos. It must have something to do with the sugar level, or molasses, in the case of rum.
  • Options
    I was going to suggest Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream but it is a Cognac aromatic. I would suggest Comoy's Cask No. 5 - Bullet Rye. It's a decent tobacco in my opinion.
    Another decent one I smoked in the past year is Briarworks Bacon Old-Fashioned. It doesn't really give me the bacon flavor or aroma but the whiskey note is there.
  • Options
    Not sure if you'll agree, but while on business travel this week, I  bought a tin of Frog Morton's Cellar, which I think is an aromatic, and thought it was spectacular.  Just enough sweetness with a hint of whiskey from the stave cube.  Latakia is part of the blend along with some Virgina and it smoked a little warm but once I got my cadence down, it was wonderful.  Another blend that will join my permanent rotation.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Good to know there actually might be something out there after all.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. Jim,

I wouldn't get too attached to the Cellar. The big government gestapo doesn't want you to have anything made after 2007, so Cellar is out. You will have to find another Frog to love. Oh wait, ran out of the Syrian Latakia, Across the Pond is gone too. 

And no more Christmas Cheer for us. Christmas will be cancelled. 
  • Options
    @Philip - Cellar is still available and the FDA has deemed that they need an additional 3 months to deem if the deeming rule is going to go into affect.
    He can buy Cellar and try it and if he likes it, he can buy a supply.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    You are right Mr. Pappy, my stores are increasing as fast as my wallet can keep up. I sure hope McCelland makes a boat load of it. I'm also hoping what is on hand when the regs go into effect are grandfathered until the supply runs out. 

The problem is there are some other blends I'm trying to horde as well. The prudent thing is to assume the rule will take them out, otherwise it will be gone and it will be too late. I've been consulting actuarial tables trying to figure out what is the bare minimum I need to have in the vault. The good news is I don't need as much as I fear, the bad news is I don't need as much as I think. 

Your bottom line is the best course. Try it, if for no other reason to have tasted it, then if you like it put it away.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    When it comes to whiskey blends I haven't found a great one yet either. They all seem to smoke less like an aromatic and more like straight tobacco, flavor wise, to me. Not complaining as I enjoy that but if I'm going to smoke a nonaromatic... as far as rum I fell in love with Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake th other day. It's the first flake I have ever gotten to smoke as a flake that I don't just dump out because it won't stay lit for more than 5 seconds. It had greater flavor and just enough sweetness from the rum
  • Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    "holger danske - black and bourbon" is pretty tasty, it's mostly black cav.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Couldn't figure out where to post this, so....ya know....Irishmen, whisky and the old seven course Irish dinner (no offense intended, but.....)

wind and smoke
  • Options
    I guess I'll just cross my fingers that the whole FDA Deeming mess goes away, or they at least scale it back so blends manufactured after 2007 say, from now until the end of time, are excluded from the regulations.  Like cigars, it figures I'd have to get into a hobby that could end up being a shadow of it's former self sometime in the future. 
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    I enjoyed the sweet whisky twist from GH&C.  Downside is that it is nic heavy. The flavor is there and the aroma is certainly there.  So much so that my wife asked me if I'd been drinking after I smoked a bowl. 
  • Options
    MjhalbachMjhalbach Newcomer
    I order Sutliff Whiskey Cavendish by the pound. I have never tried Borkum Riff so I cant compare the two. But in my mind the Sutliff is a classic whiskey blend and the room is what I remember smelling when I was a kid.