Home General
Options

Sacramento: does anybody smoke a pipe around here?!

I flew up from San Diego a few days ago and visited a fine local cigar shop with a nice lounge (no alcohol, but that doesn't surprise me).  Of the 15 or so guys that were in and out of the lounge for the two hours I was there, not one was smoking a pipe.  That's seems to be the case nearly everywhere I go these days.  If anyone knows of a good lounge where pipe smokers are are likely to congregate in Sacramento, I'm all ears!

Comments

• Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer

The only two places I've been to were Perfecto Lounge (cigars) located at 973 Pleasant Grove Bvld #110, Rosevile, Ca 95678 and Casillas Cigar Co located at 2031 16th St
    Sacramento, CA 95818.  I've yet to see anyone smoking a pipe in either one.  Try heading over to the Briar Patch (pipe & cigar) shop at one of their locations:  Loehmann’s Plaza - 2529 Fair Oaks Blvd.  Sacramento, CA 95825 or Downtown Sacramento - 1107 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95814.  I've not been to the downtown location but I've been told that is the place to be.  They'll at least be able to offer recommendations on where you might find fellow pipe smokers on a night out.

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    They use to have a pipe club but I don't know if it survived Gary Malburg moving back east. I've never been to The Briar Patch but they have an impressive selection of high grade pipes on line. I'll probably see the the mom and daughter in Chicago tomorrow.
  • Options
    Update:  I ended up at the Briar Patch on Fair Oaks boulevard which I learned is closing on Father's Day.  The downtown location is staying open.  They're closing because the landlord refused to renew their lease.  I was also told that California is increasing their tobacco sin tax from 29% to 65%.  The gentlemen I spoke to said he wasn't 100% sure about the current and new tax percentages but he was in the range.  Very sad.  The shop had a great selection of pipes and tins and also had a nice lounge ($7.50 for guests).  I ended up there two nights in a row.  The first night there were even pipe smokers there!
  • Options
    @jim102864 - the tax issue is taking it's toll.
    E. Crosby Tobacconist down in Modesto (1hr south of Sacramento) is closing it's doors this year too. After 48 years serving Modesto, Ed decided to wrap it up. Good B and M tobacco shops are hard to find. Those that have a knowledgeable tobacconist, great community, and a blending selection are even harder to find.