Home General
Options

Interview with Jon David Cole on GSP

armandoarmando Newcomer
Hello friends, Thought some of you may be interested in this. I started a podcast and pipe smoking is very much a part of it. This week we interviewd JD Cole of Country Squire and had a good time. Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    mezzoduomomezzoduomo Apprentice
    Just listened to this.  Awesome...
    Great job JD!
  • Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    Thanks mezzoduomo! We're still a brand new show, trying to make it as entertaining and as diverse as we can.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Just listened to the podcast Sir, it was interesting to say the least. Great content and the sound quality was very good which can be a problem sometimes. 

Of course I liked it since the topic was near and dear, haven't listened to any other episodes yet. I'm assuming the guest, Mr. Cole, was the reason there was so much pipe and tobacco talk, but how much of your podcast do you think is normally dedicated to pipe smoking? Is this something you plan on discussing often? 

One thing I was bracing myself for was the crude, slob kind of thing which I hear so often with guys who make their own podcasts. It was great to hear a podcast (which has gentleman in their name) actually act like gentleman. At least this episode there was no swearing or low class stuff, it really came off well. Not that I have anything against a little blue language but in a public setting the people who do that are the ones with really nothing to offer. The podcast really came across as some nice guys who you would like to sit down with and smoke a pipe. Very enjoyable.

• Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    @Philip, Thanks so much or your feedback. It means a lot. We try to keep it clean and relatable to most guys (the Gentleman part), but we don't shy from a little edginess now and then (the Scofflaw part.) We made a decision to do that early on. Originally when I came up with the concept, I wanted it to blend the subject of "The Art of Manliness" (but funny) and the atmosphere of "The Joe Rogan Experience" (but clean.)

Not every episode is about pipe smoking. But we to begin every episode by lighting our pipes with a reference to what we are smoking and the pipes we are using. It helps create the atmosphere, but also introduces people to the hobby if they aren't already into it. Because of this, we do receive a lot of listener questions about pipes and tobacco.

In general I think of it as an old school Men's Magazine for subject matter, with the atmosphere of a barbershop or local tavern. We've had guests so far like a VFX Artist, a Style Blogger, a film historian, an artisan soap maker, a tobacconist... Coming up we have a comedian, an actor, a motivational speaker, a life coach, a magician, and shrink, a pastor, an author. It's pretty eclectic, hopefully that helps frame it in for you.

Thanks again for checking out the show!
  • Options
    Great interview, highly recommended.
  • Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    Thanks @mfresa! Do you listen to any other podcasts?
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @armando, no, but the three hosts sounds like interesting fellows...
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @armando, by the way, if you ever want to do a podcast on horse racing, my brother and I can help you put an interesting show together.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    Looking forward to listening to this Jon David is great on CSR and always has something witty to say.
  • Options
    @armando - Took a chance on listening this morning. It was enjoyable and informative. I just glad you had Jon David Cole on instead of Beau. 
    I will be listening to a couple of more of your podcasts and may become a subscriber.

I am a longtime listener of Country Squire Radio, The Pipe Magazine Radio Show and The Roadhouse (the finest blues you've never heard) podcasts.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Horse racing! One of the most enjoyable times of my life was the year I spent in Saratoga Springs. Just loved the races. I listen to too many podcasts already but I'm so interested in not only getting more episodes of The Gentleman Scofflaw, but checking out the one on ponies as well. Not actually ponies, that would be polo but you know what I mean. 

Now I want to catch a few chukkers of polo. I can't go two minutes without getting distracted. 

By the way Mr. Scoff, you may not have known and I'm sure you don't care, but the image of a skeleton smoking is what anti-smoking advocates use now, equating smoking and death. Your skeleton seems to be a bit more genteel being mustachioed and all, which fits your podcast nicely. I just point it out so you can be prepared to defend your robust pipe smoking skeleton against a particular ideology and their lame skeletons.

Now where did I put my jodhpurs?

• Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    @mfresa, Thanks! That would be an interesting topic for an episode. I will definitely get in touch when we get there. Right now our shows are booked up for the next couple of months.

@Philip I had not considered that until now. I was just trying to find a way to juxtapose the gentleman aspect with something rugged and scofflaw-esque. I thought of my punk rock days as a teenager and much of that culture uses skulls in a rebellious way. Same with motorcycle gangs and pirates I guess, haha.

Thanks @piperdave, hope it brings you some entertainment!
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @armando, sounds good I'll be here.
    @Phillip, I just got back from Keeneland two weeks ago and the experience was fabulous!  I would recommend it to all lovers of horse racing...  Saratoga is next on my list.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Got my ipod all loaded up with some Gentleman Scoffers. 

I'll second The Roadhouse podcast while we are on the subject. I've only been listening for a month or two but it really is great. 

Finally, not to start a fight but no other event is so different from what you see on TV or even expect than going to the track for a day at the races. I'm not talking about what you see at the OTB, I mean attending something like The Travers Stakes. It is just amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone to go. 

That's not just my opinion, I seem to remember Mr. Howard Cosell said something similar. That was from a guy who had a front row seat to all the best events of his time from Superbowls to Prize fights. 

To be clear, I'm not saying Horse Racing is better or more exciting, although I could make an argument, but what most people expect and what it's like are not even in the same ballpark.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Ok, now I'm hooked. Had to add Gentleman Scofflaw to my subscriptions. Really enjoyed the other shows. I may have to drop something else off my playlist because it seems like I just don't have enough time, but I have to make the time for these guys.

I'm thinking I'll probably lose the podcast on worm farming. My nematode and vinegar eel cultures are quite healthy and I don't get as many Tips & Tricks as I thought I would. 

Looking forward to new shows, thanks for the heads up.

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @Philip, I agree, the live event is much much better than television.  The ambience and crowd really adds to the experience.  What a fabulous sport!
  • Options
    Rshey1Rshey1 Apprentice
    Hey, congratulations on the podcast I've been looking for more pipe & tobacco podcasts
    I already listen to pipes magazine radio show & The country Squire. Now this will be added. It would be great to have one for every day, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks guys. I really liked it
  • Options
    mezzoduomomezzoduomo Apprentice
    @nicolestglaneltd
    How about if you add this podcast to the links on the 'podcast & youtube' section here? 
  • Options
    Just finished listening to the rest of the Gentleman Scofflaw's podcasts.
    I found their humor to be entertaining and irreverent. I've added them to my weekly podcast listen.

I have left a review on iTunes.
  • Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    @pappyjoe @mezzodumo @rshey1 Thanks so much guys, glad you like the show!
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed the show! I found the sound quality, even the with the phone connection very good. I have subscribed via iTunes.
  • Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    Thanks @daveinlax, we're still learning and trying to improve each show, glad it was entertaining for you!
  • Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    We're doing this sweet Instagram giveaway on this week's episode if you guys are interested. It's an aftershave that smells like Cavendish tobacco.

Also, @pappyjoe I think you'll like this week's episode, you got a little shoutout in our "listener mail" segment ;)