Home General
Options

How to deal with tobacco snobs?

Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
I do not have a large budget to spend on over priced cigars and pipe tobacco. So, I have to look for good deals. I am not afraid to try an inexpensive smoke or buy something discounted. I have discovered some tobacco snobs who turn their nose up at anyone who is not smoking the most expensive tobacco. How do you deal with tobacco snobs? What do you feel about smoking inexpensive tobacco? This post goes for cigars and pipe tobacco. When I am talking about inexpensive tobacco, I am not talking about the junk at gas stations.

Comments

• Options

It's really hard to tolerate anyone who is an out and out snob about anything. Be it tobacco, wine, food, music, or top of the line products. I smoke OTC blends as well as better quality blends. And when-ever I get something of better quality I try to get it on sale. Not because I'm a tobacco snob - but because I'm cheap. I've never been out to impress anyone with how much I paid for anything - if anything I'd much rather comment on how cheap I was able to get some over-priced item just by shopping around. I smoke what I like and so should you and anyone else. I have a simple two word philosophy for arrogant snobs ... "F**k em'". (Depending upon how you say it, "F**k em'" might actually only be one word). It's sad how some people seem to relish inflicting misery on another fellow human being. Sucking the joy out of the hobby and trying to make you feel inferior in some way. The time may be coming when the only tobacco you can get is the so-called junk at the gas station. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!    

• Options
    At the end of the day I buy, use, smoke, drink, drive, fly, live and wear what I want. 

I've been blessed to have had many great people in my life and have also been blessed that I have had many times that I earned far more than I had ever dreamed.

That being said, I am a thrifty/frugal csob.  With the exception of food, clothing & most tobacco, I usually buy used.

My car is a 1990 Allante.  I love it, has the removable hard top and room for luggage and two sets of golf clubs in the trunk. 
    My plane was a 1965. 
    With the exception of the Luciano Bulldog I won @ the TAPS show a few weeks back, my Dunhills, Savanelli's, Peterson's, Nording & all other pipes are estates, the newest of which is the Nording, it's an 87
    My golf clubs are 1982 Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper's
    My Mont Blanc pen, a gift from a dear friend and mentor, is a 1988
    My Rolex is a 1962, many of my watches are from the 30's, 40's & 50's.
    I have a closet full of Dress Shoes & Silk Ties, many of which are also from the 80's.

All of that to say this.  Although many of these are considered expensive or status symbols, I bought em used (cheap) because I appreciated the quality, craftsmanship & style of them.  I would never have paid the New Retail price for any of them.

My normal golfin cigars are Arturo Fuente Curly Heads (about $2 a piece).

In the last 6 months or so my modest cellar has grown from 1 pouch of Borkum Riff to somewhere around 50 jars and tins.  With the exception of a tin of Penzance, all of them were bought on sale or are Match blends.

Because of my being thrifty, I am able to buy more expensive Scotch, Bourbon, & Cigars that I like to enjoy on special occasions with my family and friends.

Snobs, in my opinion, are really no different than bullies were when I was a kid.  They usually have deep self esteem issues and are the type of folks that feel a need to try and make others look bad or inferior in order to make themselves look better.  Pathetic really.

If I perceive that they are passive aggressively being contemptuous towards me, I usually just laugh at them.  If they persist, I'll turn it around on em.  If they still persist I'll just call em out.  Just like most bullies they will usually shrink when you stand up to them.

If, however, I see them trying to intimidate someone else, I will confront them immediately.  Words just can't convey how much I dislike bullies.

It is my opinion that the reason people behave in such a manner is mainly because they are never called out on it.  Most people around these folks will remain politely quiet.  Sadly this is nothing more than a tacit approval/acceptance of their behavior and sadly just stokes the flames of arrogance and incivility.

Just my $.02

• Options

I came to the conclusion a long time ago, it's just part of the hobby, especially so if I visit some brick and mortar tobacconists, and hang out in the smoking room. Sitting in the chair to one side of you, will be a gentleman's gentleman, who will always be able to regale us all with a story that would rival anything that Sherlock Holmes, or Spiderman could relate.

On your other side, will be a highly educated fellow, who during the first five minutes of conversation, will reveal that he has a masters in physics, and relate how many job opportunities are available to him because he possesses that degree.

Straight across from you, will be a techie, who has his head buried in his phone or laptop, and rarely looks up to acknowledge anyone's presence.

Protecting the security of the shop, will be another brother of the leaf, who is always armed with at least 3 concealed pistols, as well as a fourth, which will always be the largest, and proudly displayed on his hip. In between rants about Hillary Clinton, and Barak Obama, he will get up to go check the security of the parking lot 3 to 4 times an hour, with a cigar hanging from his mouth that is usually always tunneling.

Behind the counter, will be the clerk, who immediately becomes the general manager, just as soon as the owner departs the store. Surrounded by a plethora of superior people, he feels the need to relate stories of his days as an MMA fighter, back before he retired and then continued to brawl in bar room fights, while bar hopping on the Harley.

When you come to realize that a lot of the info you are getting is pure fiction, and that the smoking room at the local tobacconist is where some of these characters have established their primary identity, you can start to put things into perspective, and begin to actually feel sorry for some of these folks, who are legends in their own minds.

I have often lamented that premium cigar and pipe tobacco is a luxury product, produced for the elite. I believe it is one aspect that can actually drive some customers to purchase exclusively online, in order to avoid all together the pretentious snobs that can be prevalent in our hobby.

• Options
    Don't worry about it.  My thought has been, "Smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipes you can afford". You should educate yourself about what is available in your price range, and be aware that most of the stuff in 1 lb bags (Gambler, for example) is merely RYO tobacco relabeled to avoid taxes.

The reverse is also true. Don't knock things just because you can't afford them.
  • Options
    I don't deal with tobacco snobs. I just ignore them.
    I have had the opportunity to smoke some expensive (anything over $10) cigars and have found some of them to be lacking when it comes to draw and flavor. 
    On the other hand, I have smoked many cigars in the $5 - $8 range that were very good smokes. I have smoked genuine Cuban cigars that weren't any better than El Cheapo hand rolled cigars. 

The problem is that no matter what you buy, the higher cost is often related to the higher hype the product receives. Sometimes the higher price is just a marketing gimick in and of itself. Oh! I'll buy this cigar because it's $12 because it's more expensive than that $7 cigar!. 

The same is true of pipe tobacco. A lot of pipe smokers turn up their noses at over-the-counter blends. What they fail to consider is that the OTC blends still available have been on the market for a long time where others have failed. If they were that bad, people wouldn't buy them and the manufacturer's would stop selling them. 

The only caution on pipe tobacco is what @judandhispipe mentioned - There is a lot of RYO tobacco on the market which has been relabeled as pipe tobacco to avoid taxes. You can find them in gas stations and cigarette shops in the south as well as online. There are also a few that are sold on-line in tins that are just RYO tobacco. Do you research before buying too cheap.
  • Options
    I would also encourage you to read the various tobacco reviews out there, especially those by JimInks.  As a result of this I've picked up a couple of good deals on the big bags of baccy...

Smokers Pride Black Cavendish can be bought by the big bag at reasonable prices. (the last one I bought was on sale @ P&C for $13 or so) and is a pleasant easy going smoke.
    Smokers Pride Whiskey isn't half bad either.
    Prolly gonna try their Cherry out here in the near future.

4 Aces on the other hand is like smoking a floor mat.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    What I find interesting about this thread is that it is us pipe smokers who are often targeted by the general public as being snobs. One of the most common stereotypes of a snob is a caricature of some guy walking around with his nose in the air and a pipe in his mouth.

I'm sure there are those who would argue that a forum like TPL is just a place for snobbish pipe smokers to hang out and celebrate their own brand of snobbery. After all, we are vastly superior to those cigarette-smoking heathens.
  • Options

I enjoy mainly Bulk Tobaccos is that being anti-snob like driving a VW Beetle during the time of the American Behemoth Automobiles?  

• Options
    @Hiker007, I agree, my budget is such that I cannot buy alot of expensive tobaccos either.I buy bulk, it's the most inexpensive way to go, fortunately I was gifted with several mason jars of blends from a former pipe smoker so I have plenty to last me, some of the blends are very top shelf and I could not afford to buy them myself, so smoke what you can afford, that's my feeling on pipes also. I enjoy Carter Hall, very affordable and a good smoke as well, nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    What area of human engagement does not have so called snobs? Pipes and pipe tobacco hobbyists are no different. As to pipes, choose whatever interests you, whether it is a specific brand or some other aspect about pipes. For me it is about smoking and enjoyment. As to tobaccos, if the least expensive tobacco gives you enjoyment, smoke it. The primary purpose for me, is enjoying the hobby of pipe smoking.
  • Options
    "4 Aces on the other hand is like smoking a floor mat."
    It's relabeled RYO.
    There's a lot to be said for the codger burleys. I've grown awfully fond of Lane RR.
  • Options

Just posted this on another message - but thought it appropriate for this discussion as well.

Hope you're treated better by the cigar crowd than I was when entering the cigar bar near me in Merriville, Indiana called Karma Cigar Bar. As it turns out the place only sells cigars, lighters, and mixed drinks ... no pipe tobacco or supplies what-so-ever. Not even pipe cleaners. I entered the place recently because before moving to their new location the owners did sell pipes and pipe tobacco ... but at that location did not have a liquor license. So l guess once they made the transition from tobacco store to Cigar Bar they dropped everything but cigars. And man did they have a nice assortment of quality cigars throughout the establishment. Very nice longue ... unfortunately I walked in smoking a pipe and was immediately singled out as something of an oddball. There were six gentlemen seated on the four couches and large chairs which made up a square around a massive coffee table - only two of the gentlemen seemed to be together watching some sporting event on the flat screen TV, while the others busied themselves with a variety of activities from reading magazines, to fiddling with their phones or iPads, and one fellow just stared off into space enjoying his cigar. They were as different as night and day ... a well dressed businessman, a gentleman in what appeared to be a hooded jogging suit, a seriously tattooed biker dude wearing a Rock & Roll T-shirt, an overweight gentlemen who took up nearly a third of one of the couches, and the two guys watching TV who may well have been construction workers. I couldn't find anyone at the counter and asked the closest guy to me seated on a couch if he knew if they sold pipe tobacco in the place. He looked up at me as if I'd just shaved his dog and made a grunting sound. I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. Then the businessman who seemed annoyed by my presence looked up from his magazine and said, "Sorry Professor Pepperdine, the lecture hall is in the next building." Everyone got a big laugh at my expense then went back to what they were doing, leaving me to stand there with my pipe in my mouth feeling like an old fool. There is an ongoing discussion on pipe and tobacco snobs also on this forum so I'll post this comment there as well. Now it has me wondering if there are also cigar snobs who look down upon pipe smokers.        

• Options
    @Bonanzadriver et al -- A  review spot I've found invaluable is the good old http://www.tobaccoreviews.com
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Cigar shop can be as cliquey as most pipe boards. I travel a lot and am the new guy in a lot of shops and I just pick out a few sticks find a seat and mind my bidness. Usually by half way through cigar they're dying to get the story of the new guy and asking you the questions.

• Options
    Thanks motie,

I go there all the time
  • Options
    I must be the turd in the punch bowl.  Meaning that I personally can't shrug off such rude behavior and have an inability to not call someone out on being such a pr!ck.

With the guy that grunted, I would have loudly replied...  "What was that?  I didn't understand you".  Hold him accountable for being dismissive or contemptuous.

To the guy that called you professor periwhatever the response would have obviously been...  "Ha, you're very funny, but then again looks aren't everything"

I always start out trying to keep it a bit lighthearted but definitely poignant enough that they're being called out for being inhospitable.

As I've said before, the reason folks behave in such an unacceptable manner is most likely because you, me and others tolerate it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to make my problem everybody elses problem but certainly expect as courteous of treatment as I offer anyone else.

just my $.02
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver My first inclination is always to try and charm them with some sort of humor just to let them know I'm one of them. When that doesn't work - and I discover I'm not one of them - I'll avoid a confrontation if I'm outnumbered or outmatched. I'm old - but not stupid.
  • Options
    I'm with ya there ghost.

I am almost always the guy that will say hello to everyone when I walk into a room or an elevator.  I always try to break the ice and "lighten the mood" if you will.

I don't want to come across like a hardass here, but the older I get the less tolerance I have for rude self centered folk.

I realize some folks are more introverted or might be having a bad day, still doesn't excuse rude behavior.

I guess I'm living a bit of a sheltered life.  Work in an office where I've known 5 of the guys there for almost 13 years and spend time with them socially.  Have been in our house for the same amount of time and know most of my neighbors and enjoy cookouts and golfing with most of them.  When I'm at the club, even though it is a resort destination, I know most of the staff and even go to church with many of them.

Same story with my grocer, banker, barber, etc...

It's usually when I'm traveling or go to another town, or happened to get matched up with some NY or NJ out of towner that I encounter the tools. 

All in all I'm quite fortunate and should really just be thankful and count my blessings.
  • Options
    I enjoy walking past folks most mornings and saying, "Good morning" as I pass. It freaks people out out.....
  • Options

The Northern New Jersey Pipe Club meets at a J&R Cigar Store.

As to the stereotype of a snob with a pipe is from the illustration of the BMOC(Big Man on Campus) of the late 50's to the 70's. I can't remember Hippies being called "Hipsters" but then I don't remember too much from 65 to 71.

• Options
    Hitz53Hitz53 Newcomer
    It's all a matter of taste like in beer. A guy likes Miller High Life and some snob says that it isn't "real" beer and St. Pauli Girl is. Or that Taco Bell isn't real Mexican food.. What matters is what you like. They don't taste for you.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    @Hitz53 I love Taco Belll.