Home Pipes & Tools
Options

History of tobacco pipes

I thought there was a history of pipes discussion but I couldn't find it using the TRL search engine. Sorry.

<<Would you like to know why Savinelli pipes have such a storied history among pipe smoking enthusiasts? Want to wow your friends with your knowledge of the favorite tobacco pipes of Mark Twain, Sherlock Holmes, or President Eisenhower? It’s all here for you, in our completely bias and often incomplete tobacco pipes history and the stories of the brands that make them. Choose your favorite brand and impress your smoking buddies with a little trivia. We can’t promise they won’t make fun of you if you begin referring to your favorite pipe as a thoroughbred, but we’re sure they’ll be impressed that you know why the thinking man smokes a Peterson Pipe;but a clever chap prefers a Vauen. Waste a couple hours here and you’ll be calling yourself a pipe smoking aficionado and have the knowledge of pipe history to back up your claim!>>

Comments

• Options
    motie, thanks for posting this! The history of the hobby is one of the major aspects, that make it so rewarding for me, and a lot of others.
  • Options

@moie2 Thanks for the info. The more I know the less stupid questions I have to ask on the forum.

I'm sure the answer is somewhere on the internet - but for the life of me I can't figure what prompted the very first smoker to crumble up a leaf - light it - then stand over the fire and deeply inhale it. Then after the initial coughing jag he or she takes it a step further to create a device to pack those crumbled leaves into (for lack of a better word let's call that device a ... pipe ... Yea, that sounds good for now - I'll think of a better term for it later) then stuff it with leaves and begin puffing. Who does that sort of thing? Possibly the first guy to open up a clam or an oyster and think ... that looks like something I want to put into my mouth.   

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- What we now call Indian tobacco (Lobelia inflata or puke weed) has been growing wild in the Americas for 8,000 some years. Around 2,000 to 3,000 years ago, it was chewed or smoked during cultural or shamanistic/religious rituals. The tobacco we smoke today is a different plant., Nicotiana tabacum, which became stuff folks smoked much later. With the arrivals of the Europeans in the 16th century, the consumption, cultivation, and trading of tobacco spread to Europe.

Chances are smoking per se did not begin in North America, but most likely in the Middle East. 

"Watch the lambs frolic after they eat that plant. Hmmmm." 
    Some gets thrown in the fire and folks down wind frolic. 
    "Hey, let's portablize the stuff so we can always have it at hand."

Hence: pipes.
  • Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    @motie2 Nicotiana rustica was indian tobacco, lobelia was a component of there blends, nicotina tobacum (tobacco of commerce) was a genetic mutation that occurred just before the arrival of Europeans (gaining a chromosome). 
  • Options
    @glohman -- Thank you. You are, of course, correct!!! But I was close ;-)
  • Options
    Here's a link to an interesting article I found recently.

A couple of years ago I found a document on-line discussing churchwarden pipes that was written in German if I remember correctly. It provided a lot of information about the pipes going back to their popularity with Hussar calvary officers and to their use in churches. Also talked about how the church warden smoked the long pipes because it kept the smoke out of their eyes.
  • Options
     @PappyJoe -- Thanks. Great article!
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    @motie2 Thanks for sharing the article! I have been wanting to read more about this topic so your post was timely!
  • Options
    Happy to serve!!!
  • Options
    I just checked out the information provided by the original link on Rinaldo pipes.

Let's just say it's very old information as the Rinaldo company now makes 1,500 pipes a year in 116 different shapes. 
    Monjure International is the U.S. distributor for Rinaldo.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    When I first began smoking a pipe, mid 70s, an owner of a pipe and tobacco store, that became a friend, gave me a few hours of work in his store. I basically worked for product, pipes, tobacco etc. He had me read two books regarding pipes and tobacco, one being a book by Dunhill, the other a book primarily about tobaccos, cannot remember the name. Although the primary point of the hobby of pipes and tobaccos for me is enjoyment, knowing more about the hobby only adds to such. 
  • Options
    Thank you Motie2, you're a true Fount of Knowledge.  I really enjoy your finds.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXzFzVjjVpQ

Alan Kerslake
    Published on Sep 25, 2011
    A short video of the history of pipe smoking. And the recommendation of a book.
  • Options
    @motie2nice video.  Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    Excerpt from https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tobacco-pipes-pipe-smoking-guide/

The History of the Tobacco Pipe

The history of the tobacco pipe is long and quite fascinating and could fill many volumes. As it is the purpose of this piece to cover many and several aspects of pipes and pipe smoking, a limited and general look at that history seems the practical course here.

I suppose we can all be grateful to John Rolfe who had the inspiration to plant tobacco seed from Trinidad in my native Virginia soil – just a few miles from my birthplace – in 1612. His first crop of tobacco ( nicotiana tabacum ) found great favor at court back in England, as it was a far tastier smoke than the rough native North American species introduced in London some years before. And popular it was, as just over a ton of Virginia tobacco shipped to London in the year spanning 1616 -1617.

And by 1620, some 40,000 lbs. of tobacco made it’s way from the banks of the James River in Virginia across the Atlantic and up the Thames to London docks. Much of this tobacco was consumed by “drinking” the smoke from a pipe. So, some four hundred years ago pipe smoking was taking England and Europe by storm.

The pipe itself, as a means of smoking tobacco, had a much earlier appearance. Some 3,000 years before Englishman John Rolfe’s fortunate experiment at Jamestown, Native American tribes         were smoking pipes in the Mississippi Valley area of the U.S.  Ancient relic pipes found there were adorned with figures of animals and other decorative markings and were mostly made of porphyritic and other hard stone. Early English and European pipes were generally made of clay and were the simple long stemmed pipes that many know today as the clay tavern pipe.

Most clay pipe making was done in London and Bristol in the 1650’s using clay from the abundant nearby deposits in Devon. Though adequate, clay pipes were fragile and were frequently broken, often leaving the smoker with tobacco and no way to enjoy it. By the early 1700’s, meerschaum from Turkey and Africa was beginning to be employed to fashion tobacco pipes.

Carved Meerschaum Pipe

Carved Meerschaum Pipe from the Dr. Sarunas “Sharkey” Peckus Pipe Collection as seen in Collecting Antique Meerschaums by Ben Rapaport

Meerschaum, from the German for “foam of the sea”, is mined from deposits of the skeletal remains of microscopic sea creatures that settled to the bottom of ancient sea beds and was compressed over millions of years. The highest quality meerschaum is found in Turkey near Istanbul. This attractive chalk white material has the consistency of soft cheese when first extracted. This facilitates the ornate and often beautiful carvings one associates with these pipes. As the material is warmed by the sun, or in a warming room, it hardens and can provide a very pleasant, cool and dry smoke. Because of it’s capacity for accepting ornate carving, meerschaum pipes became quite popular with the upper classes. It did, however, share the unfortunate trait of the fragility that plagued the clay pipe, still smoked by most commoners of the time. As a result, pipe smoking was in decline by the turn of the 19th century, being replaced by the cigar and the cigarette. There was a growing need for a robust, serviceable and economical material for pipe making.

Dunhill pipe courtesy Uptowns

Dunhill pipe courtesy Uptown’s

Nearly every pipe one encounters today is fashioned from briar. It is a nearly perfect material for a pipe bowl. Though fine grained and quite hard and heat resistant, briar is reasonably light weight, non – toxic, and often can be quite beautiful. And best of all, it is far more durable than either clay or meerschaum.

Some may say that the advent of the briar pipe saved the pipe smoking pastime from being supplanted by cigars and cigarettes. In the 1820’s artisans from the French town of St. Claude in the Jura Mountains, renown for their wood carving skills, began to produce pipes with bowls made from the burl of the white heath tree.  (erica arborea) This wood was called “bruyere” and through the years has become known as briar.>>

• Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited January 2022
    Yesterday I was watching an old episode of Time Team (British version) and they were digging on an old cotton mill from the mid 1700's. While digging they came across a bunch of old clay pipes with purposely shortened shanks/stems. The shanks were shortened not because they got rough, old, nasty, etc., but were purposely shortened from the beginning so the workers could still smoke while working and not catch the factory on fire (with all the cotton fiber in it obviously). Apparently, the manageability of a shortened pipe meant fewer accidents. 

Anyway, the archaeologists said that this is where the pipe term "stubby" and/or "nose warmer" comes from. Does anyone know anything different or are they correct? My guess is that they might be correct simply because it seems to be an odd piece of pipe trivia for trained archaeologists to memorize.