Home General
Options

A Millennial's Frustration

Some of you may or may not have noticed the recent Pipes and Cigar's Facebook ad aimed at "hipsters". I first read about it while on the pipetobacco subreddit and it quite honestly frustrated me.

Perhaps the primary reason for my frustration, is in the fact, that the stigma attached to hipsters however justified it may be is something that I personally do not want attached to myself. Yet I find that it is simply because I am a millennial, and I enjoy pipes and pipe tobacco. My personality is such at I am infatuated with tradition, old ways of doing things, and dare I say am prone towards a more conservative worldview. It is my sense that the older crowd looks at someone like me and grumbles in dismay and thinks of me as just another hipster attempting to resurrect a perceived dying art in our culture at an attempt to be "ironic"... whatever that means anymore. On the other hand I have my peers, who look at me and have practically the same reaction. No matter what I say, or do, I cannot break this stereotype that has been thrust upon me, whilst I sit here having very few commonalities with actual hipster ideology, save a love for coffee and fascination with early 20th century Americana. People cannot seem to differentiate between a hipster and a regular millennial, and I feel like this is the source of the problem. Take the 60s-70s and the Hippy movement, you can't even think about those decades without assuming all young people were hippies, when in fact the vast majority were in fact not hippies. The same goes for my generation, yet because for some unknown reason the hipster seems to hold some mystique because they can't bathe, and adopt the worldview of an amoeba, all millennial pipe smokers MUST be hipsters. I reject this sentiment, and quite honestly hope that it dies very soon.

What does it mean to be a 25 year old pipe smoker in the world today? Must I BE a hipster in order to enjoy smoking pipes, which I inherited from my God father?

To be sure, this isn't an opinion shared by everyone in the pipe community. I appreciate what This Pipe Life and The Country Squire have done to help bridge the gap between the younger crowd with the seasoned pipe veterans. It would just be nice to not have a label thrust upon my fellow millennials and myself that is quite possibly undeserved. I find it hard to relate to 80% (probably more) of people my age, let alone hipsters my age.

Comments

• Options
    @philosopiper - The short answer is no. You don't have to be a hipster to smoke a pipe. The difference between a pipe smoker and a hipster pipe smoker is "why do you smoke a pipe?" If you do it because you think it's cool or hip, then you are a hipster. If you do it because you like the taste of good pipe tobacco, the tactile feel of the pipe and the relaxation which comes from the process of smoking your pipe, then you are a pipe smoker no matter how old your are or how you dress or how you wear your hair.
  • Options
    PhilosoPiper, At no point during your post, did you mention craft beer, so I think it is safe to say, you do not qualify as a hipster!
  • Options
    Philo,

from my limited time here I too would chime in and not put you in the hipster/poser camp.

Sadly though, unless in the company of other true pipers, I have always experience a "sideways" glance from folks over the years whenever I was smoking my pipe and sometimes my cigars.

I started smoking both back in 1982 while in the Navy, when I was only 18 or 19.  Some of the glances were from folks my age that were smoking cigarettes.

I think it was Einstein that said something along the lines of...

"People of superior intellect often encounter mocking and ridicule from those of inferior thought process" 

I think Albert was on to something...  And he, of course, was a pipe smoker.

At least we're in good company.  :)

• Options
    @PhilosoPiper Although I'll be 66 years old this June, you and I are kindred spirits. You're an old soul trapped in a young body. And I like that. Someone not only willing to continue a long held family tradition inherited from your Godfather... but also willing to buck the barbs or your peers as well as the grumblings from the older crowd to do something you enjoy. Pipe smokers are first and foremost 'individuals' ... and we wear it as a badge of honor. Be they so-called Millennial hipsters, x-Hippies, 50s' sci-fi movie scientists, or old codgers sitting on a porch swing. So don't be too concerned about stereotyping ... pipe smokers have been stereotyped for years ... and usually wrongly. We come from every walk of life, all ages, nationality, gender, and I'm sure that somewhere in the galaxy this week-end some Alien species is having an Intergalactic Pipe Show. For the most part old timers are quite happy to see members of the next generation carrying on the tradition of pipe smoking. Any grumbling you may have heard coming from their direction could have been from a hungry stomach more so than giving you the stink-eye for blaspheming the pipe culture by your mere youthful presence. The most positive comments I heard when watching various YouTube videos of the last Chicago Pipe Show was how happy many of the older guys were to see younger guys attracted to the hobby. You represent our future and whether or not a long standing tradition dies in the coming years or soldiers on. And as for not being able to relate to 80% of the people of your age ... I haven't been able to do it my entire life no matter what age I was. That's because I think for myself and don't think as part of a group Collective. Don't let them get you down - "They are Borg - they seek to add your biological and technological distinctiveness to their own." F**K em' and enjoy your pipe.   
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, couldn't have said it better myself.  Rock on, Philo!!
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    I appreciate the response everyone! 

@ghostsofpompei, you cannot trust anyone who thinks a cube is a good shape for a spaceship! I certainly am an old soul, when it comes to most things. One of the things that I love the most about this community is that guys like you, @pappyjoe, @xdutchx, and all of the rest not only embraced the younger crowd. You all take the time to communicate with us, and allow us to learn from your knowledge of our collective hobby.
  • Options
    Nice to have a place to come to for advice. I wish places like this were around when I first started out.   
  • Options
    @PhilosoPiper I saw that same ad on the pipetobacco subreddit. As a fellow "Millennial", I totally get the frustration and worry about being viewed as a hipster. P&C made a strange call with that ad, and I'm not surprised by the blowback from our community.

I look at it like this, it didn't matter to us that pipe smoking is in for the hipster crowd. We chose to take up pipe smoking because we wanted to, and nothing can take that away from us. We both value the tradition of smoking a pipe, and have an appreciation of old fashioned things. There's many things in my life that intersect with hipsters, such as my beards, a love of coffee, and the occasional craft beer. If someone views me as a hipster, I can't help that, but I know I am who I am, and could care less if people think of me that way.

Just ignore the hipsters. If they smoke a pipe to look cool, they'll be gone and looking for the next fad soon enough. Meanwhile we'll still have our hobby and what we appreciate about it.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    As a world renowned misanthrope and someone who thinks pretty much everyone is a hippie I would suggest you just do your own thing. From my understanding of that type of personality they tend to mimic the habits of real men to cover their beta status. Hippie chicks love them because they can push them around and the hippie benefits because they couldn't get a real woman.

Stand out from them by actually being a strong self confident man, something they can never achieve.
  • Options
    @philosopiper -Confidence in yourself and strength enough to not care what the "the crowd" thinks.  You enjoy smoking a pipe, much like the rest of us, because it is enjoyable and relaxing as well as a part of worldwide tradition for centuries.  People sometimes comment negatively on the surface but secretively, they may be impressed but not have the confidence to smoke a pipe in public.  I will be 56 this June and I remember my days in High School when cigarettes were the "in thing" and if you were "cool," you smoked cigarettes.

I was smoking a pipe since I was 15 and followed in my father's footsteps so while my mom did not like me smoking, my dad was fine with it and gave me a couple of his pipes.  I was a local volunteer firefighter in my community and at age 17, I was the only guy smoking a pipe at the firehouse.  Everyone either smoked cigars or mostly cigarettes.  Of course, some of the older guys would razz  me about smoking my pipe.  I didn't care.  As time went on, I noticed guys approaching me one on one to ask questions like why a pipe or how do you keep it lit or isn't it to much work?  As I answered their questions individually, I found that one by one, those same guys who teased my at first, were becoming pipe smokers.  One person would casually pull out a pipe and light it, then another, then another still.  To my surprise, about a little more than half of the guys at the firehouse were well on their way to becoming pipe smokers.  Why?  They thought it was funny and old fashioned on the surface but individually, they thought differently and saw that I had the confidence to continue smoking my pipe no matter what they said.  Most folks enjoy the aroma of pipe tobacco and tend to unconsciously gravitate toward the aroma, if only for a moment or two.

So my point is confidence, attitude, and inner strength is all you need.  I share this and for what its worth, hope it makes a difference to anyone who may need a little reassurance.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    PhilosoPiper, enjoyed you comments as it appears others have also. As to how others may view you, being a " hipster ", the important issue is how do you view yourself? I have always found the world and the people in it the most interesting area of study and interaction. Being described as an " old soul ", being interested in old ways, should be quite a compliment. Pipe smoking, such a hobby appears to attract thinkers, individuals that have an interests in many things, in understanding these fragments of experience that we call life. Read some Thoreau, some Emerson, set your own path, life is a trip,sometimes a long strange trip, nevertheless fascinating.
  • Options
    @PhilosoPiper -- Howzabout a hipster pipe tobacco ad?

under 30 copy
  • Options
    I just realized I won't be 66 this June - I'm already 66. I'll be 67! Oh my God I don't even know how old I am.
  • Options

I've smoked since I was 15 as well, came out of High School as the "Beat" movement started so I spent lots of time in Jazz and Folk clubs in NYC. When I got out of the Service the Hip" movement got rolling. But I don't identify myself as other than just me. Hippies are now in their early to mid 70's so I don't see that you could be forced into that category.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Hippies are everywhere and are not bound by age. I'm not sure what hippiesters are exactly but it's best to keep your guard up. 

Although some hippies dress up real nice and put on ties, underneath they're still the same. The old trick to check for fleas may not always be true today, but it's always a good policy to keep clear if you're not sure. Chanting and drum circles are also big tip-offs.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    @ghostsofpompeii: Not knowing how old you are is actually a good thing. I try not to think about it myself. When someone asks me how old I am, I often truthfully respond with, "I'm not sure, I'd have to figure it out."
  • Options
    I remember when a forty year old asked me, back in the day, when was I gonna grow up? Now, I'm seventy. (And yes, the picture is recent; I have really good aging genes).

The truth in thirteen words: 

Inside every old person there's a young person screaming, "What the hell happened?"
  • Options
    @motie2 I may have mentioned it before but it bares repeating. Ray Harryhausen (special effects genius/stop motion animation) and author Ray Bradbury were lifelong friends with a love of fantasy/science-fiction and above all dinosaurs. And the pair made a pact that they "Would grow old ... but never grow-up". And that's been the philosophy I continue to live by. I can still recall being a teenager and having my bedroom decked-out in assembled and smartly painted Aurora Models of the complete Classic Universal Monsters collection, as well as stacks of Famous Monsters Of Filmland Magazine, and a collection of 8mm 200 ft. Castle films all related to horror or monsters of some sort. And when my Mom would entered my room ... especially if I was watching some cheesy horror flick on my portable 13" TV ... she say the same thing every time: "When are you going to outgrow that ridiculous monster phase?" And I'd always respond ... "Hopefully, never."    
  • Options
    "Grow up," flung as an insult, usually carries the subtext, "Stop growing."

@ghostsofpompeii -- As a life-long Sci-Fi /Fantasy aficionado (I joined Science Fiction Book Club in 5th grade, and was a childhood devotee of Famous Monsters of Filmland) I can identify with almost everything you've opined..... except your ruminations on hippies. 

I represent that remark. <grin>
  • Options
    @motie2 I was a hippy - and proud of it back in the day. Hopsack pants, paisley and tie-dyed shirts, the double-breasted shirts worn by the Monkees ... I had it all. I wore the most outlandish clothes in High School. I can recall unzipping the inside lining of my Father's long winter coat and wearing it fleece side out as though it were a knee high woolly vest. I looked like a cross between a sheepherder and one of the 12 Apostles. The only difference was I was wearing it over my paisley shirt, and wrapped around my neck was a red and white checkered ascot that looked like part of a table cloth from an Italian restaurant. No self respecting Apostle would be caught dead wearing something like that around Jesus. Then there was my Clint Eastwood - Man With No Name' phase when I cut a hole in the center of a tablecloth and wore it like a poncho. And the funny thing about High School back then - I might not get a second glance because everyone else was dressed just as outrageous. That's why I could never say anything about the clothes my two boys were wearing while growing up in the 80s' as teens. Parachute pants and that long trench coat look was probably pretty tame by the attire of the 60s'. So fear not Mr. Motie, I love the hippies - married one actually. 
  • Options
    I have been told that spending 21 years in the military "stunted" my growth. Or, as a friend once asked before I retired, "When are you going to grow up and get a real job."
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, if it ever comes out what I do for a living, I'll tell you my father's last words.
  • Options
    @motie2 - You mean you're not a priest?
  • Options
    No sir, I am not.
  • Options
    PhilosoPiper

Don't let labels placed upon you by the inference of others bother you. Don't bother worrying about anything but yourself and your family and friends. Dress, act, and live your life the way you want.  Usually folks who hang labels on others do so due to jealousy or a narrow world view. I was in the military in the peak of the Hippie movement (1967-1974) and when I got home immediately became part of the "real world" working, getting married, having kids, and building a career that would last a very long time. At that point having seen war, I wanted peace just like the "love children". So, I suppose some folks who didn't know any better may have thought I was a "hippie" of sorts due to the music I listened to, some of the clothes that I might have worn.....but beyond appearances and my age those people were considerably off base. And yes, I started smoking my pipes at that time. We still have not as a society learned to NOT judge or assume based on appearance, but on the character and actions of the person.

I personally do not care what label someone may hang on me so long as they know and acknowledge that I am a good person.

So don't fret about being thought of or considered a millennial or a "hipster" or anything else because you like pipes, that only defines you as a "Pipester". Welcome to the world of pipes and tobacco. Wear the title well.

"Smoke 'em if you got 'em"
  • Options
    @pwkarch - in my experience, the people most against going to war are those who have been to war. While I served in the Coast Guard from 1972 - 93, I didn't serve in a "war zone."  I have known quite of few anti-war pacifist though who really had no clue what the reality of war is/was. The only know what they were brainwashed to believe. That being said, I served with a lot of prior military men who did serve in Viet Nam as well as some of the Coast Guardsmen who served over there. They are more against sending troops to war than any other group of people I know because they have lived it. That being said, to a man, they would all do it again if called upon.
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    I love the conversation that my mini rant has started. It isn't so much the labels that I don't like, it is modern man's fear of really getting to know people and creating generalizations about them instead.
  • Options
    PappyJoe

Oh how right you are. To really dislike or hate something you need to go nose to nose and stare it right in the face. That way you have first hand experience and you can tell people with confidence that you walked the walk. It was a good thing we were young and maybe inexperienced. I think they should make all the older guys go to war instead of the young. We are already pissed off about a lot of things, don't sleep well, won't take crap from anyone (except the fair maidens at home). Some of us have the training, can still hit the paper, and sort of know what to expect. Double time would need to be changed to 3/4 time, and pushups would need to be outlawed. Ten mile hikes should be leisurely 10 mile car trips with rest stops and beer rats, and every pack needs to include cigars, pipes, and pipe tobacco.

I am at the point in my life where I avoid drama, but I will also not take any more crap. So Boot Camp would not be a good idea, besides I have been there and was not fond of it the first go round (too much yelling and screaming). So if I had to,  I would volunteer to go in place of some young guy who has yet to really live his life. It is a shame that so many young people have died through the ages before they really experienced life. My son was the first in our family to not have to go into the military, but with all the crap in the world today I worry every day about my 5 grandsons.

Although I have never protested, I understand when I see "peace protesters".......but I am not sure they fully understand.

Hand Salute Pappy, and all the other pipesters here who served.
  • Options
    @PhilosoPiper A forum like The Pipeline is a great place to banter with people of all generations, and get a better understanding of what makes us different while at the same time discussing what originally brought us together - pipes and tobacco. Mutual love of pipe smoking started our relationships on the right foot - and once we got that foot firmly wedged in the door and had time to mingle with the crowd we discovered ... "now here is a group of people I could enjoy spending some time with". Life doesn't present many opportunities for three generations to gather together in kinship and talk with one another and not at one another. But it seems to be working fine here at The Pipeline. Young or old we're all seeking the same goal ... that perfect smoke. And in my relatively short time here I've discovered it's a great place to foster inter-generational friendships as well as dispel generalizations and stereotypes..     
  • Options
    This probably goes against the grain in this forum, but if there were LIKE buttons here, I would press them after each of the comments posted. Great comments all!