Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Latakia Blends are Aromatics

I am just curious if any of you have listened to Brian Levine's latest interview with Rob Cooper? In the interview, he states that he feels that Latakia blends are aromatics, and that he prefers unadulterated Virginia blends. I don't believe he mentioned any particular blends that he considers unadulterated, but I may have missed something.

If someone else had made this statement, I would chalk it up to lack of education. However, with Mr. Coopers 40 plus years experience in the hobby, I couldn't help but pay attention.

It was my understanding, that all pipe tobacco had some sort of processing involved, and that if a tobacco was truly unadulterated, it would not be smokeable and to the liking of most pipe smokers. I had always believed that the reason cigars did not offer chemical tongue bite, was because they were not adulterated the way pipe tobacco tends to be processed.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Comments

• Options
    It's semantics if you ask me.
    One definition of aromatic is "having a pleasant or distinct smell."
    Aromatics are generally thought of as tobacco which has been topped or cased with something to give it a different aroma or flavor. 

If you agree with that, and then break down the statement its base of "give it a different aroma or flavor" it is only logical to categorize latakia as an aromatic. It is processed in a manner that imparts the aroma and flavor that we know as latakia and is different than if the tobacco is just dried. The same can be said for other tobacco which are processed in specific manners like perique or dark fired Kentucky Burley. 

The bottom line to me, is that as all pipe tobacco has a "Pleasant or distinct smell" then all pipe tobacco is aromatic.  

That may be over-simplified in some people minds but stop and think about it. 
  • Options
    As a contrarian, I'd opine that Latakia and Perique have their place in English blends and VaPers, but by themselves they are aromatic in the same sense a horse barn in summer is aromatic. (No offense intended.) 
  • Options
    I though unadulterated meant you only slept with your wife. 
  • Options

@ghostsofpompeii, It is my understanding, that the definition if adulteration is "to corrupt, debase, or make impure by the addition of a foreign or inferior substance or element."

Remember, she is your better half, and you are most likely the foreign or inferior substance. Just sayin.... :^)

As for the term "aromatic," Merriam Webster defines aromatic as-

of, relating to, or having aroma, having a noticeable and pleasant smell, having a distinctive quality, having a strong smell "The peat burns with a pungently aromatic smoke."

Working from this definition, the term "aromatic,"  indicates absolutely nothing, in steering a pipe smoker in the right direction, who is sensitive to chemical tongue bite.

I would think that there is a substantial difference in the processing of a tobacco like Latakia, which has been flavored by smoking with aromatic woods and herbs over small fires in a closed barn, vs. tobacco which has had Propylene glycol added. Propylene glycol is a solvent which has moisture regulating, antiseptic and preservative effects. It also gives a milder smoke. It is also used as a processing agent. As a humectant it helps minimize the generation of dust and fines. Its secondary function is to act as a solubilizing agent for other tobacco additives, such as flavorants.  It also hinders tobacco mold formation.

These are the processes that tend to give some pipe smokers chemical tongue bite, which is why some pipe smokers tend to seek out "non-aromatic," pipe tobacco. It is my understanding that this is one of the distinctions between "mini mart cigars," and "premium cigars." I would have no problems smoking a cheaper cigar made with filler leaf, but it is the Propylene glycol that ruins the experience for me. There is no tongue bite involved, but the flavor of the tobacco is off in these cheaper cigars, after Propylene glycol has been added.

From the very beginning of my pipe smoking journey, I found frustration in attempting to purchase tobacco that minimized chemical tongue bite. The general consensus from pipe smokers, is to stay away from aromatics if you are chemical sensitive. However, if the term aromatic is used to describe the scent of a tobacco in the tin, or in the room note only, then how much is the term aromatic really worth?

I suppose my interpretation of the term "aromatic," may have been way off base from the very beginning. I have been using the term to differentiate between tobaccos, in an attempt to find blends that are more user friendly. I suppose finding those tobaccos that I can tolerate, and therefore enjoy are all that matter. If the Virginias I enjoy can be defined as non aromatics, but I can just as easily tolerate and enjoy most aromatic  Latakia blends, I suppose I have achieved my goal.

• Options
    @motie2 - There you go projecting your opinion on others. Some may find a horse barn in summer to be a pleasant smell. LOL

• Options
    @PappyJoe -- Nah. My opinions are my own. No  proper English blend smoker would consider my opinions under any circumstance, except perhaps @ghostsofpompeii after his recent Perique accident, although I don't know his feelings on unadulterated (I love that word) Latakia. So, regarding my puerile offerings, read 'em and reap, if you will. (Heh, heh: ".... if you will." ~ Dusty Rhodes)

As to horse barn smells, it seems that while there are general aversions amongst the populace, each person is sensitive in varying ways to different smells, or, as St. George Carlin put it, (paraphrased), "Your own gas smells OK."   Me, I'm really bothered by the smell of aged mercaptans, making it very hard on me when visiting nursing homes. Excrement -- human or animal -- I've cleared stables in August -- doesn't faze me at all. I also despise certain fabric softeners (go figure).

I've already admitted that I don't really like the taste of tobacco per se, but that I take great pleasure in pipe smoking. And who here is gonna let me "project my opinion" on them? Of course, and on the other hand, (now hunting/pecking with the left), this is "TPL" not "TTPL." 

And to leave you smiling, go over to the Shits and Giggles discussion and check out my riddle.
  • Options
    @motie2 - We let you project your opinions. We just do give a shit about them. 
  • Options
    @ParryJoe -- Of course. Thank you. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe       Can't type and index fingers have minds of their own.
  • Options
    @motie2, now you've got me worried, that retirement homes could be the next primary terrorist target.
  • Options
    @xDutchx - I don't follow. Help me out here?
  • Options
    @motie, mercaptan is one of the chemicals responsible for the foul smell of bad breath and flatulence, and is supposedly highly flammable. A few years back, I remember seeing a you tube video, where a couple of teenagers were demonstrating that flatulence is indeed flammable.
  • Options
    @xDutchx -- I've actually done that. It hurts. For several days. 

And include the 2 or it doesn't work: @motie2
  • Options
    @motie2 - if the typing don't get you the spellcheck will.

• Options
    I used to be good at it; now in my dotage, I ask SWMBO, an art major, how to spell things. I have the spell check turned off so it doesn't spy on me. <grin>
  • Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    I agree Lataika (and English blends) are aromatics. The history is Great Britain did not allow "chemical" flavorings in pipe tobacco until recent times, and that is why English blends evolved to be pleasantly aromatic without "chemicals". Besides English/lataika blends provide a pleasant incense like aroma (therefor are an aromatic). 

Learn it [be]for you burn it @motie2
  • Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    And yes @xDutchx there is a general consensus that propylene glycol holds moisture (therefor creates steam) and contributes to "tongue bite".
  • Options
    @motie2 - Are you familiar with the old British tv show Rumpole of the Bailey?

• Options
    @glohman, there are a few significant others out there, who feel that Latakia smells just like a house burning to the ground. I'll bet that the term "aromatic," might be an adjective that never enters their mind.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- Certainly I'm familiar with the series.
  • Options
    @motie2 - I was wondering where you got the term "SWMBO". We used to watch Rumpole all the time.

• Options
    I got it from personal experience: by not obeying once or twice.

Me: It won't happen again."
    She: "I know."

(I think she got that from Gibbs.)