Home General
Options

Disapointment

So today while doing some screen repair of our screen porch in anticipation of spring eventually coming to the Jersey Shore, I thought I would smoke a cigar instead of a pipe. I have not touched my cigars in probably 3 months or so in favor of my pipes. My cigars are not gas station cigars but top shelf perfectly humidified and well cared for. My cigars have been my go to smokes for quite a few years. I admit I have neglected them here of late as I got back into my pipes in a big way again.

I could not devote the attention to my smoke like I might normally do since I was working . It did go out several times and had to be relit. My concern is the fact that I did not enjoy it, and I might even say I didn't like it. This was one of my favorite sticks. Some months ago that thought would never have originated with me. Anytime I was in the yard, or driving somewhere in my truck I had my cigar burning and enjoying it. What the hell happened? Maybe just an off day?

I am hoping this was just a fluke. This was a premium cigar perfectly kept, slight yellowing of the cellophane wrapper and just smelling like fine aged aged maduro cigar tobacco. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 to 600 top quality cigars here that I have been buying and resting. I cannot simply disregard or forget due to several issues not the least of which is the investment and the value.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so did your cigar desire and appreciation return at some point?

Comments

• Options

pw, I smoke much more pipe tobacco than I do cigars, but it hasn't always been that way. I have found that I cannot really enjoy a premium cigar, unless I have a couple hours to sit down and relax and appreciate the nuances of the stick. I think this is why you hear some folks refer to some sticks as "yard cigars." If I cannot focus on all that the cigar has to offer, I might as well just smoke a $2 to $4 cigar, and enjoy the nicotine that it provides, while my focus is elsewhere.

They say that women are much better at multi tasking than men, and I believe it. While the rest of the world is constantly trying to get me to speed up, I am making a conscious effort to slow down. I like to blame it on my southern upbringing, as well as my appreciation for fine tobaccos, single malts, and single barrels.

• Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    Humans are in a constant state of flux. I loved pabst blue ribbon when I was younger
    then years later got into craft beers for a bit. I recently started exploring scotch, whiskeys, whiskys and bourbons.

I also used to smoke about pack of cigarettes a day until I started vaping about 5 years ago. I love vaping. I am well aware I traded one addiction for another and I would never say vaping is 100% safe but I find it so much more enjoyable than smoking cigarettes. Dip has always been the monkey on my back. I grew up in he south and even in the 90's we could dip in school with little repercussions if any. I still dip occasionally but kicked it years back as I saw what it does to your gums and teeth. Now, I love my pipe.

I don't know what I'll love tomorrow but I love not knowing what I'll love tomorrow.

• Options
    Having smoked thousands of cigars over the last 3 1/2 decades I would venture the guesses...

1.  It was possibly more moist than you usually smoke.
    2.  It was the fact that you were sitting it aside from time to time and not maintaining a steady draw.
    3.  It was a dud.

I've experienced all of the above from the same make and model of cigars from the same box.

But, if it's completely discouraged your from smoking cigars again, well then, send me a PM and I'll give you my address and will properly dispose of them for you.  :)
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Personally, cigars have just become what I smoke while on the tractor and can't be tamping and relighting, and when you're done you can pitch it in the pond.