Home General
Options

Outdoor smoking

Has anyone ever purposely sat on your deck, or in your yard, smoking a pipe or a BIG cigar to tick off one of your "Pain-in-the-Ass" neighbors that needs a kick in the groin?

Comments

• Options
    @tim12string Tim, I live in Gary, Indiana, and if you piss off a neighbor they simply shoot you then go back in the house and turn the music up even louder. That's why I get along with my neighbors. I may need them to patch up a bullet wound or perform CPR on me one day
  • Options
    tim12stringtim12string Apprentice
    I live in WV. Same situation. I was just venting. :-)
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Tim12string, my closest neighbor is a quartermile away, living in a rural area there is not much that can be done to piss anyone off. People tend to mind their own business. I guess what I am saying, I smoke away. By the way, I lived in Raleigh County back in the early 70s before moving to DC, lived outside of Mt. Hope. It was very rural.
  • Options
    I've lived in the same house since 1989 in a relatively quiet neighborhood where we all pretty much keep to ourselves. The only problem is when someone on the street behind us has a party and the base is turned up loud enough for us to here it in the den. Strange thing is, we go outside to see if we can hear where its coming from and you can't hear the music.

I have the biggest lot in the subdivision. It's about 160 feet from one side of the back yard to the other and close to 200 ft front to back. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, I have the same problem with noise.  Can hear it inside the house but not outside.  I think the roof acts like a giant eardrum.
  • Options
    In cases like that it's usually the thumping bass you're probably hearing ... especially when you go outside and can't really tell where it coming from. My neighbor was having a party one night and I was practically bouncing up and down on my couch from the rumbling bass. But when I opened my door I really couldn't hear it that much. But you could tell by the flashing colored strobe lights pulsating from the back windows of his house that they were doing some serious partying.
  • Options
    I'm lucky enough to live with a woods on three sides and a neighbor 100' away with a good few trees between us. This in the most populated county in the state. My neighbor is a great lady that is country raised and we show each other a lot of understanding, She doesn't smoke but, doesn't mind my doing it,
  • Options
    tim12stringtim12string Apprentice
    Well, I smoked a stogie in my yard in "nose shot" of him. He said nothing, but I think I got my point across. DON'T MESS WITH ME!
  • Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    Haha. I live in SoCal. Technically it's illegal for me to smoke near the building of my apartment complex. But I set up a sweet patio to do so that everyone can use, so nobody complains.
  • Options
    My wife and I have been thinking of downsizing and moving to a different (and hopefully much safer place) in the near future. We haven't rented since we were first married and have owned two different houses. Not at the same time. But we're at a point in our life when we're actually started to consider a duplex, condo - or God forbid - rental once again. I hate renting because I'm left with a shoe box full of receipts and nothing tangible to show for it. Plus I've never been too fond of the idea of being attached to another building or that close to my neighbors. But we're also discovering so many condos and apartments have impossible smoking restrictions - not just inside  the apartment or condo (which I can understand) - but on the grounds on and around the building as well. So in many cases I can't even smoke on the back patio even though they allow barbecue grills, which create a Hell of a lot more smoke than my pipe. Boy they sure are making life hard for us smokers..  
  • Options
    Without knowing where you live now, we can't really suggest safer places for your to move. Initially my thought would be to find a small house in the country because that tends to be safer than living in say... downtown New Orleans. Of course you also have to look at the proximity of the house to family/friends. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I live in Gary, Indiana. Stayed here because I worked in the Steel Mills - and now I'm kinds stuck here cause no one in their right mind wants to buy my house and move here. I live one block out of the city limits so I'm not actually a resident of Gary City proper but I'm part of Calument Township. Meaning I don't have city sewers, water, police, fire department, or garbage pick-up from city sources ... but do have a Gary mailing address. It's like having all the bad mojo that goes with living in Gary without the conveniences of city living. So we have a well, septic tanks, Independent Fire Department, pay for my own garbage service, sketchy snow removal, and County Police. Since the majority of crime in the area seems to be gang related squabbles, turf wars, and drugs I'm not a part of either so I'm relatively safe unless I happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Of course robberies and home invasions are a problem. Our home was broken into about three years ago - but once we got a security system we've been lucky. (you can't hear it but I've just knocked on wood). Sadly when you've hit the age I'm currently at you don't look for amenities like location to attractions, restaurants, theaters, and places for sight seeing ... you check on the location of the nearest hospital.    
  • Options
    Well then, "come on down" and join us here in Pinehurst. 

We've been here for over 12 years now.  The last few years it's been voted both "The Safest Town to Live in & The Number 1 Town to Live in" for the state of NC.

If your needs are modest you can buy a 1 bed condo here for under $100K.  Heck if you're willing to work on it I've seen em go for $40K.  The average home here is probably somewhere between $200k & $300K, not to suggest that there aren't plenty of $1MM+.

We have over 45 golf courses within a 16 mile radius and somewhere around 20 country clubs in the same area.  Lots of Tennis, Croquet, Lawn Bowling and swimming pools.

If golf isn't your thing we have an area known as "Horse Country" with training, riding and vet facilities just east of town in the community of Southern Pines. 

We have Ft. Bragg Army Base nearby as well as Pope AFB.  Also have Camp McCall just down the road (Band of Brothers).

Several micro breweries, pubs, great restaurants and nice shopping for those that like that sorta thing.

I know many folks who work their whole lives to save up to move to a great retirement area.  I decided to move here when I was in my early 40's and enjoy it while I pay for it.  :)

• Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    My dog goes out in the back yard with me while I smoke. She barks the whole time. My neighbor does not mind my smoking, but hates the barking.
  • Options
    I'll smoke on my front porch, garage or back patio.  Nobody seems to mind on my own property, in my car or walking my dogs at the park I get a bit more attention.
  • Options
    I almost forgot ghost,

We also have a top rate hospital with the best Geriatric care in the state.  :)

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - I've had friends in similar situations to yours. They bought houses and then the economy went to hell and their nice middle class neighborhoods were affected by the increase in crime which usually happens when small cities see a growth in crime because no one has jobs.
  • Options
    Speaking of outdoors smoking, the wife and I went to an antique street fair yesterday and I took a pipe loaded with Rattray's Exotic Orange with me. Smoked it while we were walking around (does that make me a Lunter?) and didn't hear any negative comments. Did hear a couple of "where's that nice orange smell coming from" and one "Oh! That must be what I'm smelling." 
  • Options
    All of my neighbors smoke, drink, and practice firearms safety right off the back porch. Nobody in my neighborhood gets rude, because that would make about as much sense, as walking across a NASCAR track during the final lap of the race.
  • Options
    I like the way you describe things xDutchx.
  • Options
    EricRuarkEricRuark Newcomer
    I live on a sailboat in an out of the way marina just off the Chesapeake Bay.  I generally smoke in the open cockpit with a drink in one hand and my pit bull lounging on the seat next to me. No one bothers me.008
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Once upon a time, I was sitting peacefully smoking my pipe at an outdoor concert in the beautiful New Jersey shore town of Ocean Grove. Irish folk singers as I recall.

As I sat on the green, I became aware of a woman nearby who was loudly coughing and complaining about the pipe smoke. This hardly seemed justified, as we were outside on a breezy evening and I really wasn't located that close to her.

Nonetheless, being the swell sport that I am, I quickly extinguished the pipe and refrained from further smoking. Of course, since I had no place to put the pipe, I did continue to hold it in my hand.

The cool part is that the woman in question continued to cough and complain about the pipe for a full half hour after I had ceased smoking it. Apparently, the mere sight of a pipe is enough to trigger hysterical behavior on the part of certain members of the general public.
  • Options
    madmanmadman Newcomer
    I smoke in my house because I hated my wife as much as I love my Petersons Connoisseurs Choice.....she's gone now
  • Options
    DixonHillDixonHill Newcomer
    Two quick stories building off of @Topaz75's. These appeared on another forum several years ago.

1) One guy wrote about fly fishing on a river and another guy was several yards away teaching his young son to cast. Our guy had a pipe clenched in his teeth whilst casting his line. The father notice and irately approached, yelling at our guy about how revolting his pipe was and how it was ruining the experience for him and his son. Our guy stared blankly at the irate dad, took his pipe from his mouth and noticed it was empty. He had just clenched out of habit. No amount of explanation soothed the savage dad.

2) Another piper and his wife boarded an airplane for a flight to visit grandkids. His empty Peterson was nestled in his shirt pocket with the stem poking out. A flight attendant came by and said that he would have to put the pipe away as it was offending another passenger. The piper mentioned that his Pete was empty and was just in his pocket. Not good enough for the attendant. It had to be out of sight, thus out of mind for the offended passenger, who it could be argued was out of her mind anyway.