Home The Lounge
Options

the ultimate pipe smoking playlist: bluegrass

Your voice has been heard! Bluegrass is one of your favorite kinds of music to listen to while smoking a pipe. Let us know your favorite bluegrass songs to be compiled into the ultimate bluegrass smoking playlist. Submissions will be accepted through 4/30/2017.

Comments

• Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    Really not bluegrass, but "the night they drove old Dixie down" covered by Gro Anita Schonn (I think their Finnish), is a good one.
  • Options
    Any Banjo and Fiddle playing is good!
  • Options
    Oh and that good ole twang voice.
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    Sweet Tennessee: Judah And The Lion
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    John Hartford's Aereo-Plain
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle be Unbroken
  • Options
    I've done my best to keep this list strictly to the more traditional Bluegrass sound, staying away from the Folkgrass sound that is so pervasive in newer Bluegrass music (which I am a huge fan of).

Punch Brothers:
    - Boll Weevil
    - Soon or Never
    - Flippen [The Flip]
    - Hundred Dollars
    - Rye Whiskey

Chris Thile:
    - Wayside - Back In Time
    - Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
    - Watch 'at Breakdown
    - Brakeman's Blues
    - Heart in a Cage
    - The Eleventh Reel
    - My Little Girl in Tennessee (w/ Michael Daves)

String Cheese Incident:
    - The Remington Ride
    - Colorado Bluebird Sky

The Infamous Stringdusters:
    - 17 Cents
    - Tears of the Earth
    - Colorado

The Greencards:
    - Adelaide

Sierra Hull:
    - Don't Pick Me Up
    - Bombshell
    - Hullarious
    - Only My Heart

Dan Tyminski:
    - Wheels
    - How Long is this Train
    - Heads You Win, Tails I Lose
    - Some Early Morning

Emmitt-Nershi Band:
    - New Country Blues

Wood & Wire:
    - Dancin' On My Grave
    - Anne Marie
    - Greener Grass
    - Mexico
    - Coal Mining One
    - Love Gone Wrong
    - Galveston

Trout Steak Revival:
    - Brighter Every Day
    - Ours for the Taking
    - Wind on the Mountain
    - Pie

Town Mountain:
    - I'm on Fire

I'm With Her:
    - Crossing Muddy Waters

Ricky Skaggs:
    - Blue Night

Cornbread Red:
    - Under Pressure
    - Take Me Out

Love Cannon:
    - Take On Me

Nickel Creek:
    - Ode to a Butterfly

The Deer:
    - Little Bluestem

Mandolin Orange:
    - Train Song
    - Little World
  • Options
    "Here & Heaven" by Chris Thile, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, Yo-Yo Ma, & Aiofe O'Donovan
    It's not traditional Bluegrass, but it's a sweet, sweet song.

• Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    Is "fire on the mountain" bluegrass?
  • Options
    LumberjackWizard, you mind sharing a few of your favorites with the newer folkgrass feel?  I would be very interested.  I haven't listened to bluegrass for long, but these seem to be repeated on my playlists more than most:

Chatham County Line - Carolinian
    Yonder Mountain String Band - 40 Miles from Denver
    Greensky Bluegrass - Past my Prime
    Mandolin Orange - Take This Heart of Gold
    Mandolin Orange - Waltz about Whiskey
    Mandolin Orange - Hey Stranger

• Options
    Jens Kruger and the Kruger Brothers.  Real bluegrass.
  • Options
    Jimmy Martin, Hank Williams III, David "Stringbean" Akeman......
  • Options
    Going to go through my Bluegrass list tomorrow and I will list a few good bands.
  • Options
    Never owned a Bluegrass record nor do I know the name of any particular bands, but every year on Labor Day in Earl Park, Indiana the town holds a Labor Day Week-End Festival that might well be the inspiration for a Norman Rockwell painting. Besides great festival food, craft vendors, tractor pulls, and camp sites for tents and trailers - there is a week-end long Bluegrass Music Festival. And besides the musicians who perform on the main stage you can walk throughout the park as musicians sit around campfires just "picken' and grinnen'. One person may get up and move to another campfire while someone else with a guitar or banjo takes his or her place. It's a true celebration of Bluegrass music. You can't help but find yourself tapping your toe and smiling along with them. It's the one day of the year I surrender to the sound of Bluegrass and let it wash over me like a Spring rain. There is a joy in Bluegrass music that I don't think you'll find in any other music genre. Rock and Industrial musicians always appear to be mad or aggressive - or wasted, Indie artists stare blankly at their shoes as if on Prozac, Blues musicians are ... well playing the Blues, Classical Musicians are too serious and workmanlike, and Rappers and Hip Hop artists terrify me by their jerky gyrations and aggressive nature, but Bluegrass musicians are a 'happy go lucky' lot and a joy to behold. And the Earl Park Labor Day Week-End Festival is the only place I'm likely to see a fellow pipe smoker... Corn cob - not briar. 
  • Options
    armandoarmando Newcomer
    One Tiny Sin - The Sidehill Gougers
    Wake Me - Mandolin Orange
    Rock My Soul - Shannon McNally
    Sulphur to Sugarcane - Elvis Costello
    Changes - Langhorne Slim
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Bluegrass! Now you're playing my music. Many of you may not know but I'm known as Five String Phil, a long time banjer picker from way back. Besides my glorious pipes nothing comes close to my favorite old jo (which is worth more than my car) and my lovely Lady Rose open back. 

I'll try very hard to control myself in this genre, and say that besides the the well know standards like Dueling Banjos (originally Feuding Banjos) and Cripple Creek, I'd say nothing really beats a good run through of Sally Goodin', Mr. Jim Mills does such a great job with that. If you want to listen to a little Clawhammer there are so many versions of Cluck ol' Hen that are wonderful.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Knew I was going to do this. 

I forgot to mention that whenever you hear someone playing the banjo you have to yell out "Hey! Do Foggy Mountain"

And you'll get the biggest smiles doing The Ballad of Jed Clampett. Earl was a genius with his three finger style.
  • Options
    Glad someone mentioned Foggy Mountain Boys. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Harry McClintock

• Options
    Norman Blake
    Alison Krauss did a little Bluegrass 
    Soggy Bottom Boys
  • Options
    The Whites
    Peasall sisters
    The Cox Family
    John Hartford
    Fairfield Four

• Options
    The Stanley Brothers!
  • Options
    My introduction to Bluegrass music was the film Bonnie And Clyde.
  • Options
  • Options
    I have always liked Bluegrass but really got back into listening to it when O' Brother Where art thou came out.  lol
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Wolf41035 -- A question, sir. Is the young boy from that movie, the same actor that plays "Chris" on NCIS New Orleans???
  • Options
    Not sure but he is the one who played on the movie Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift.  I will look into it and see.
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    Just about anything from Doc Watson or Bill Monroe.  Both are Bluegrass Legends imho.
  • Options
    Based on all of your suggestions, a playlist has been compiled on the This Pipe Life Youtube and Spotify pages. You can check it out on our newest section, The Music: https://thispipelife.com/music/.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their favorite songs, artists, and albums!