Home The Lounge
Options

the ultimate pipe smoking playlist: jazz

edited April 2017 in The Lounge
Your voice has been heard! Jazz is one of your favorite kinds of music to listen to while smoking a pipe. Let us know your favorite jazz songs to be compiled into the ultimate jazz smoking playlist. Submissions will be accepted through 4/30/2017.

Comments

• Options
    I like the music from the German jazz/fusion band Passport and would love to add their 80s' era albums "Cross-Collateral" and "Infinity Machine" to the list. But if you're only looking for an individual tune and not a complete album then I'll go with the Dave Brubeck jazz classic track "Take Five".    
  • Options
    I tend to think of artists or albums, not songs. But how about Billie Holiday, "God Bless the Child" - the one with Eddie Heywood's Orchestra backing her. Or June Christy, "Something Cool".
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Miles Davis: Kind of Blue

Charles Lloyd: The Water is Wide

Any solo piano piece by Thelonius Monk
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    +1 for Kind of Blue

Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard

anything by Monk or Ellington
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    if it's got to be a particular piece then: Blue in Green from Kind of Blue or My Foolish Heart from The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings
  • Options
    The album "Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau" is a duo album featuring Mandolin, Piano, and some vocals. It's an interesting jazz album.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    "I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good" - Oscar Peterson Trio
    "Brownie Speaks" - Brad Mehldau Trio
    "Hey Joe" - Brad Mehldau Trio
    "Jam" - Brad Mehldau Trio
    "Where Do You Start" - Brad Mehldau Trio
  • Options

Jazz is one of those music genres that has a variety of sub-categories, making it hard to pinpoint and label a specific sound.

Jazz is the bongo driven beat and narrative poetry associated with a 50s' Beatnik coffee house. The seductive purring of Ertha Kitt in a smoke filled lounge backed by a trio of spaced out musicians - upright bass, piano, and some cat behind a drum kit quietly sweeping his snare with a pair of brushes. When Jazz is good it can evoke that sexy sax driven melancholy mood captured so well by composer Bernard Herrmann for his soundtrack "Taxi Driver". And when Jazz is BAD ...(BAD as in "that Shaft is a BAD mother f**ker" bad)  it's dangerous, subversive and high octane adventure for the strong of heart. A perfect example is the brain numbing avant garde noise and dissonance of John Zorn who embodies the punk sensibilities of Acid Jazz.

Such a schizophrenic contrast ... sensuality, melody, and romance - melancholia, rage, and aggression - all harmoniously packaged under one label ... Jazz. 

Miles Davis set a new standard for Jazz with his album "Bitches Brew" which laid the groundwork for what would become Jazz-Fusion, which includes bands like Chick Corea and Return To Forever, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Passport, and Colosseum II. And from that sub-category yet another branch sprouted as New Age Jazz from artists like violinist Jean-Luc Ponty, Jerry Goodwin, and bands like Shadowfax,  So it hard to imagine all these Fusion artists reside under the same umbrella as vocalists like Tony Bennett, Billy Eckstine, Mel Torme, Louis Armstrong (the guy who pioneered Jazz scat singing), Amy Winehouse, Norah Jones, and Al Jarreau. So as this list continues to expand you can see that Jazz is one a genre that requires a much larger tent.   

• Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    Kind of Blue all the way!  The whole album, but if only one tune - Blue in Green
  • Options
    Acoustic Alchemy, Down to the Bone, Dave Brubeck Trio, David Benoit, Peggy Lee, Cyndi Lauper, So many groups and individuals have added to the vast list of Jazz. 
  • Options
    What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Just came in from an afternoon pipe.  Sitting out on the company patio, enjoyin MM965 in a Bent Bulldog listening to Sade.  Probably not "Jazzie" enough for the true purists, but enough jazz for me today.  :)
  • Options
    Been listening to Mannheim Steamroller and feel this orchestral new age band fits into three categories classical, rock, and jazz.
  • Options
    Listened to some early Wynton Marsalis yesterday. Got interested in his music in 1988 when his brother Ellis did a photography internship with the Coast Guard in New York
  • Options
    Listening to Getz & Gilberto on YouTube now, which suggests, of course, their great "Girl from Ipanema".
    Other list suggestions:
    Herbie Mann, "Battle Hymn of the Republic", from Memphis Underground.
    "April in Paris", by Count Basie.
    "Djangology",by Django Reinhardt.
    "Europa",by Gato Barbieri.
    "Lush Life",  by John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
  • Options
    Anything from Pat Metheny Group, Pat Metheny solo.
  • Options
    I'm with those who favor "Kind of Blue," but more to the point, Miles' "Sketches of Spain." Oh, yes.
  • Options
    Another great jazz/fusion band is BRAND X. Some of the early albums feature Phil Collins of Genesis on drums. Great energetic fusion. Might actually contain some of Collins' best work as a drummer. 
  • Options
    I'm more toward Smooth Jazz like Dave Grusin "Mountain Dance".
  • Options
    Hot Lips Page, John Coltrane, Norah Jones.
  • Options
    Miles Davis came back with "Time After Time" before he died, Winton Marcalis has got some great works out there. Mel Torme had some fantastic stuff.
  • Options
    This jazz thread got me to reminiscing about music the other night.  I decided to play a little Maynard Ferguson and it reminded me of the time, back in 1975 or 76, I was in middle school living in Douglas Wy.  I was first chair trumpet in the middle school band and the newly formed Jazz Band.  Our instructor was a young guy, Scott Garret or Gehret, I believe, right out of college. 

He was a great musician, played slide trombone, and all of the girls in school thought he was Hawt!  Which was ok because his wife was a smokin Bo Derek lookalike.  :)

Anyway, somehow /someway Mr. Gehret was able to book the one and only Maynard Ferguson and his band to perform a concert in lil ol Douglas WY.  I seem to recall that Scott had met or toured with Maynard while in college. 

The really neat thing was that, in exchange for our roadie efforts (grunt labor) our Jazz band was given a 1 day workshop by Maynard and his band.  That meant that I got to actually sit down one on one, ok ok, more like 12 on one with Maynard Ferguson.  Of course the H.S. Jazz band was there as well, but I'm pretty sure Maynard spent more time with and had more fun playing music with our Jr. High band.  :)
  • Options
    There were two things Playboy Magazine taught me as an impressionable youth growing up in the 50s' & 60s'. The first is apparent, a young boys fascination with the nude female anatomy - and my amazing discovery that women beautiful enough to be crowned the Playmate Of The Month all appeared to have staples located somewhere on their body. And the other thing I learned thanks to Playboy Magazine was the world of Jazz. Besides seeing where the staple would turn up on the Playmate Of The Year I always looked forward to the results of the yearly Playboy Jazz Poll. It was there I learned about the Jazz greats of the era and developed an appreciation for artists like Dave Brubeck. To this day my favorite instrumental Jazz song is "Take Five". And besides being surrounded by a bevy of gorgeous girls Hugh Hefner had a true affinity for Jazz. At one point Playboy even had a record label featuring compilations from assorted Jazz artists. Hefner also sponsored the Annual Playboy Jazz Festival, as well as hosting two late night talk shows that aired in the 50s' or 60s' sometime after midnight - "Playboy's Penthouse" and "Playboy After Dark" featuring some of the finest Jazz artists as musical guests.        
  • Options
    madmanmadman Newcomer
    Al Fin Te Vi by Carlos Henriquez when I'm smoking  a bowl of McConnell's Pure Caribe.   
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @madman -- Hi. Welcome. Lemme ask you: is that a hedgehog?
  • Options
    Sidney Bechet 
    Eddie Condon
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - Ahhh! Playboy! I actually read the articles. Seriously. Well, after looking at all the photo spreads and reading all the jokes. 

Playboy doesn't always get the credit it deserves for the writing that appeared on its pages but there were some heavy-hitters of the 60's and 70's who wrote features for the magazine.
  • Options
    There's an awful lot of artists being mentioned here, but not many tracks. I thought the idea was to mention tracks, to get a playlist. If you just list artists, then someone else has to find the tracks. (Of course, I might have misunderstood the intent of the thread...)
  • Options
    Maybe it's me ... but I've never really been a track type of guy. I'm not the person who puts on a CD and skips tracks to find that one or two songs he prefers. I listen to an album or CD from beginning to end and tend to rank  an album by it's entirety. So even bands that I absolutely love and are auto-buy purchased when a new album comes out I may not know that actual name of each individual track ... but I can tell you the name of their albums and can rank each album from best to least liked.  
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Charlie Parker: Loverman, Embraceable You