Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Is the Nat Sherman company OK?

I really love the Nat Sherman 536 blend. I have 6 tins of it in my drawer (cellar). I went looking for more but their website is 'under construction', and I can't find the 536 at the normal online places.

Anyone know the fate/future of Nat Sherman? Is the NYC store still there? 

Comments

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Yes and probably No, They sold out to Phillip Morris a couple of months ago. I imagine the cigarette brand is valuable and everything else including the Town House shop in Manhattan is expendable. I love the Town House, I was there last month when I was in town for the NY Pipe Show.   
  • Options
    Here's what I could find......

June 30, 2016 -- [edited] <<Nat Sherman, the New York cigar shop, is the most famous in the US..... Nat Sherman –the cigar shop- wasn’t always the respectable business known to aficionados today as one of the most celebrated in the US, or at least in New York. Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Sammy Davis Jr, Rainier de Monaco were once regulars. .... The shop occupies an elegant building on 42th street dubbed “the Townhouse” .... tucked between two high rises that dwarf it. Nat Sherman is a sacred institution in New York, all the more so because its old age allows it to let its customers smoke indoors.... At Nat Sherman, all employees are certified tobacconists..... Are the Shermans thinking of getting in the cannabis business by any chance? “We have thought about it, sure”, replies Larry. “One thing I can say is that when it comes to regulations, we have the experience!”>>

Jan 18, 2017
    -  <<A day after being acquired by Altria—the $25 billion company behind Marlboro—Nat Sherman closed its Townhouse in Manhattan as well as its website in a move the company said would be temporary. 
    "The Townhouse will be closed briefly," the company wrote in a letter, "but will reopen very soon, with the same great team in place." An "under construction" sign appears on the company website. In the letter, Nat Sherman wrote of "some minor interruptions to our business in the next few days as we work out some logistics related to the transition." Nat Sherman makes premium cigars as well as high-end cigarettes. The company stressed in the letter that "there are no major changes to our Nat Sherman premium cigar and pipe tobaccos business. Our entire portfolio of premium cigars and pipe tobaccos remain unchanged, still produced by the talents of our existing manufacturing partners. Our incredible team of dedicated sales representatives also remains unchanged." Changes are, however, coming to its cigarette brands. The company wrote that it would modify its cigarette packaging and advertising, and those changes will result in what's expected to be a temporary shortage of the product. "They will not be in stock in the immediate short term," the letter read. Yesterday's deal, which was for undisclosed terms, made Nat Sherman a wholly owned subsidiary of Altria Group Inc. The company said it would operate separately from Altria's most famous unit, Philip Morris, the maker of Marlboro and many other cigarettes. "Under this new ownership structure, Nat Sherman will remain separate from Altria's other operating companies, including Philip Morris USA," Nat Sherman wrote in the letter.>>

Jan 20, 2017 -- <<The Townhouse is back in business. Nat Sherman's famed Townhouse reopened on Friday after the company's acquisition by tobacco giant Altria Group Inc. resulted in a temporary closure of the midtown-Manhattan tobacconist. The Nat Sherman website, which went down at the same time, remains inactive as of Friday afternoon. In a letter released Wednesday, Nat Sherman announced that "some minor interruptions to our business" forced the Townhouse and website to shut down, but stressed that the closure was only temporary. The letter promised that the Townhouse would "reopen very soon, with the same great team in place." The Nat Sherman Townhouse is a retail tobacconist and cigar lounge, with a large inventory of premium cigars including, but not limited to, Nat Sherman-branded smokes.>>

However, http://natsherman.com/ features the following message: 

Site under construction -- Our web site is currently under construction. If you have questions or feedback, please call us at (800) 221-1690.

• Options
    mezzoduomomezzoduomo Apprentice
    Found some @ Iwan Reis. 4 more tins on their way to my drawer (cellar).