Home The Lounge
Options

I guess I'm officially a "Lunter" now.

And no, I didn't mean to say lurker.  According to the Urban Dictionary, "Lunting is a verb meaning to walk around while smoking a pipe. Tobacco was first brought to Europe by the Spanish in 1528 and the word ‘lunting’ is almost as old, first appearing somewhere around 1540 – 1550."  How cool is that? The International Lunting Society is the brainchild of South Carolinian Scott Beidler and while membership is absolutely free, for a $5  donation you'll receive a cool vinyl sticker like the one shown in the pic below.  There's also a donation level that includes a tee shirt.  Check them out on https://www.lunting.org and on Twitter and Instagram at @LuntingSociety

Now I guess I need to light up and take a walk!  Scott

IMG_2156

Comments

• Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. Looks interesting. I might join.
  • Options
    Aristocob -- Hey, man! Thanks for enlightening my day!!!!

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    According to the Urban Dictionary

LoL The Urban Dictionary huh? You'll need skinny jeans and ironic glasses to go with your pipe if you really want to "lunt".
  • Options
    I'm working on it @DaveInLAX. I'm still looking for a good beard oil that compliments my face cream.
  • Options
    With a name like @Hiker007 I'm surprised that you aren't already in.
  • Options
    Hmm, 'twould appear the system has had hiccups (hiccoughs?): The accidental double posting, above, and my posting thes etwo pictures earlier and they have not shown up. Or have I grown so senile that I posted them elsewhere and had only thought that I had posted them here? 

Lunting 1 copy

Lunting 2 copy
  • Options
    If I get mistaken for a Hipster, I am blaming the entire debacle on Scott!
  • Options
    Interesting how we find names for everything.
  • Options
    My first thought is that "lunting" is a made up word for hipster because I've never heard of it until recently (I am a retired journalist/photographer and magazine editor. I know lots of obscure words.)

So, I looked it up on line and found this: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/lunting

What I did not find was a definition of "lunting" in Webster Dictionary, Cambridge Dictionary, Oxford English Dictionary or several others.

I did find this definition in Collins English Dictionary for "Lunt: 1. to produce or emit smoke or 2: a match or fuse"

Neither of the two definitions I've found mention walking while smoking. 

I did not look it up in the Urban Dictionary because the i predominance of words in it are made up words or phrases which less educated people use in the streets and ghettos. 
  • Options
    <<I did not look it up in the Urban Dictionary because the i predominance of words in it are made up words or phrases which less educated people use in the streets and ghettos. >>

Yeah, "low information" folks use words like "bigly." <snicker>
  • Options
    @PappyJoe Since the Urban Dictionary was clearly a poor reference I did a little more Googling (verb) and found this definition of Lunting from the1824 edition of The Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia

• Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    I was lunting along a river today, didn't even know there was a word for it.
  • Options
    Sounds like fun.
  • Options
    I don't get to lunt very often, but I did join the Lunting Society on Instagram. The person running it is very friendly, and sent me the club sticker free of charge. I like the idea of the account, and try to promote it when I can. Also, gotta say the sticker is very high quality. Not sure what I'll put it on, but I like it.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    As a word of advice, I would suggest that you not ask your wife where she thinks you should "stick it". I tried this once and the response was somewhat less than gratifying.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not a "lunter". I prefer to sit when pipe smoking.
  • Options
    I do find it funny that there's some resistance to "lunting" out of fear of looking like a hipster. While I'm certainly not fond of hipsters, I'm not going to stop doing something I enjoy out of fear that I'll be labeled as one. Life is too short to worry about such things. If people think I'm a hipster, then so be it. I can't change their mind, but I know who I am, and that's all that matters to me.

I remember seeing a thread recently about how to pass pipe smoking onto the next generation. Well, if pipe smokers remain hidden, then we're out of sight and out of mind of that next generation. One of the reasons I like the Lunting Society is that it gets pipe smokers out and about, and maybe generate some positive interest in the hobby.

I didn't grow up with a pipe smoker in my family, or have any legacy to claim with pipes. In fact, when I was younger, I was very adamant in being anti-all things tobacco. Why did that change? It was seeing the rare pipe smoker once or twice a year, going around town or walking their dog while smoking a pipe. I found myself fascinated by these people, as they didn't seem like the normal cigarette smokers I encountered every day. So that's why I try to smoke my pipe out in public, as someone might see me and decide to take a look into the hobby.
  • Options
    @motie2 For the longest time I thought he was saying "bigly" as well - then discovered he was actually saying "big league". So when you hear "He who shall not be named" (I don't get into politics - never a good idea) say the phase again listen closely. He says it so fast it almost sounds like one word - but he is saying "big league". Such as ... "You're no longer in the minors but the 'big league'." 
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    International Lunting Society,an idea I can get behind, and just did. Anything that connects hiking or even sauntering with pipe smoking, as someone once said, 
    " what's not to like "? Strikes me as another positive promotion of the hobby of pipe smoking we all enjoy. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Remember what I said about "Don't underestimate me......" ? 

I know, I know. Just funnin'
  • Options
    BTW, It also demonstrates how close to the edge one can skate without starting a flame war. And I agree with you about politics. When I first got involved ("Get Clean for Gene") my father took me aside and said, "Son, all politicians are whores. The best of them is a whore. And their single most important duty is to get re-elected." 

Between that and personal experience, I turned out to be a cynical pessimist at age 70. You know: Some say the glass is half-full. Some say it's half-empty. I say, "Someone's gonna knock it off the table."

So, here is my last word on politics: No matter how bad you think it's gonna be, it's gonna be worse, because it's always darkest just before it goes pitch black. 

Watchmen copy
  • Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    I did it, I'm an official lunter. It's a sweet logo, so I'm in. ;P
  • Options

@motie2 I'm gonna reveal something I've seldom ever mentioned to anyone outside my family ... I'll turn 66 this year and I've never voted in a single election. Don't like politics, don't trust politicians, and could never find anyone worth getting behind 100%. And the ones who do get elected ... the one's I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and get behind them as every American should as ... well in the end they let me down in one way or another, justifying my original opinion of politicians. (Reminding me of a quote from the movie "Mysterious Island" when Captain Nemo explains to the castaways why he didn't reveal himself until the volcano began to erupt - his reason: "Contact with my species has always disappointed me.") The only time I came close to actually voting for President was when Ross Perot was running. But by the time his opponents and the media got through with him they made him look like a certifiable lunatic ... so he dropped out ... and I immediately tuned out, resigned to the fact that the American people would be left to vote once more for the lesser of two evils. I live in Indiana and usually by the time we get to vote in the Primaries after Super Tuesday, several politicians worth considering have already dropped out. Yet on actual Election Night five seconds after the Polls have closed in Indiana TV news stations announce the results of our state while others like Michigan, Ohio, Florida can drag on well into the night, hours after their Polls closed. Now I live in Indiana ... and no one can make me believe the people counting ballots in my state are so much more efficient than other states. So it always made me feel like voters in Indiana really didn't matter ... so I refuse to engage in all the political bickering that comes with each election cycle. My Mom would get so pissed at me and told me I had no reason to complain about who got elected if I didn't vote. Then I'd remind her ... I don't complain. I let you do it - like you always do when the guy you voted for isn't doing what you put him in office to do. (I'm using the term him rather than her because my Mom passed away before these last two elections). I do know one thing - this was the most polarizing Presidential Election in my lifetime - relationships have ended and longtime friends and family members refuse to talk to one another because of how they voted. Which is really sad.      

• Options
    @motie2 Some say the glass is half empty - some say the glass if half full ... I usually say "Hey who pissed in my glass!"
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks Scott.

I received my Lunting Certificate in the mail yesterday.

My blond walked in as I was reading it and just shook her head  :)
  • Options
    I tried to join at $5.00 level. What happens? Do they bill you? I was not asked for billing details.....