Home The Pack
Options

The annual "Cobfoolery" Missouri Meerschaum Cob-Modding Contest in underway!

Scott from Aristocob.com here. 
Each year for the past five years we have conducted a neat corn cob pipe modding contest that we affectionately call the "Cobfoolery Contest".  In the past we've seen some amazing pipes entered from both professional pipemakers and amateur pipe modders and those pipes can be seen on our Cobfoolery blog at www.Cobfoolery.com.  Two of the past entries have actually been produced as production pipes by MM, including the current Cob Cigar.  

This year the contest is running the month of April and folks who get their creations entered early will be entered into weekly prize giveaways.  Last night marked the end of the first week of this year's contest and we gave away to packets of genuine Missouri Meerschaum seed corn that is part of the 2017-2018 "Homegrown Cobfoolery" category.  

Here are a couple past entries, which are fully detailed on the blog:

Chris Morgan pipe 1SparkysPipes Cob2014 Cobfoolery entries

2015 Cobfoolery Amateur Classic Entries

Comments

• Options
    Even if you guys choose not to participate in the competition, I would highly recommend following the vids on you tube, as the contest progresses. Scott has been holding this contest for years, and it may surprise some of you, how ingenious and adept some of these pipe makers have become.

Some folks consider cobs, somewhat of a basket pipe. However, they really come into their own, when they are given a few upgrades, and I think some of you may see them differently if you take time to follow the contest.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    When I heard about the premise I thought "I could make one", but when I saw some of these my jaw hit the table. They are amazing. Now, I'd still love to make one but unless they come up with a class lower than amateur (possibly stunted half-blind old man class) it would be just to see what I can come up with. 

Can't wait to see who wins! 

• Options
    @Philip, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: We do a weekly prize drawing each week of April of the people who have pipes entered in the contest. That means you could win something even if your pipe stand no chance of placing in the contest.  But let's keep that little tip between us. Scott
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Don't forget that the voting is underway for the Cobfoolery contest. There is only a couple days left to vote if you choose to.

• Options
    AristocobAristocob Newcomer
    Thanks for posting a reminder, Phil. Here's a pie chart showing how close the voting is in the pro class for the "classic" shaped pipes. Every vote really does count. Voting ends Sat May 6th at midnight. Scott

Nailbiter
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    The polls are closed. Stayed up all night to hear the results. 

No Russian hacking. I was surprised on a couple but was very happy to see the big winner with a very cool Huntsman style cob.
  • Options
    AristocobAristocob Newcomer
    The winners were announced on a YouTube video last night and a lengthy post on the Cobfoolery blog at www.Cobfoolery.com
  • Options
    Thanks for postin the link Scott. 

I watched your yt video the other night but was glad to see the winners submissions.