Home Ask an Expert
Options

Breaking in a Peterson

I have a question for anyone, in knowing that Petersons are hard to break in. How would someone go about breaking in one? I've read all about wiping the inside with liquor etc and or just fill the bowl half way and smoking it all the way to the bottom.
Is there a preferred method for a Peterson? New to this pipe life, online and in life.
I have a few of estate pipes and a few basket pipes. But this is one that havn't had so I just picked up a brand-new Peterson 313 system pipe.
Really want to form an opinion and learn from this.

Comments

• Options
    As someone who has broken in six Petersons, my method is the same as what I do for all my pipes. I'll have the first five bowls with a burley or classic blend such as Carter Hall or Prince Albert. First three I'll fill halfway, last two I'll fill 2/3rds high. None of them have given me problems, but that's just me.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper thanks! And is this how you break in other pipes as well?
  • Options
    @Elruletero Yes, that's my regular routine in breaking in a new pipe. I know some pipe smokers will dab a little honey into the bowl of the pipe to help build the cake, but I'd rather not mess with that myself.

I've also heard MacBaren Burley Flake is a good blend for breaking in pipes. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm interested in giving it a go.
  • Options
    I break them in just like my other pipes exactly how @thebadgerpiper explained 
  • Options
    I've always break my new pipes in the same way. Fill the bowl, slowly smoke it down to the bottom, wait a day and repeat the process. Surprisingly enough it's worked for me every time I've tried it since the early 1970s.
  • Options
    I own primarily Peterson pipes (and some others), but I generally break in a brand new pipe similar to what has been suggested. The only reason so many people say start with a half bowl or whatever, is because you absolutely don't want to get the top caked and not the bottom. So if you were to find yourself filling the bowl all the way and only being able to smoke half of it before something interupted you, that would be bad for breaking in the pipe. Also, it's tougher with a brand new pipe to know when it's cashed, and you may end up dumping the tobacco before you actually make it all the way through. If either of these scenarios worry you, start with a half bowl the first couple of smokes, and increase from there.
  • Options
    @elruletero I think there is confusion because they dip stain many of their pipes which leaves stain in the bowl which when first smoked may go up the stem and taste funky. I suggest cleaning the draft hole and bowl out with high proof alcohol to get that nasty stain out, then letting them dry and finally breaking them in as usual. I have a Pete with a clearish orange stem and I can see the stain in it while I break it in....Hence why I know the answer to this and will use the alcohol method for my next Pete.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @elruletero I agree with @pipeprofessor as I have run into that a few times with my Peterson's and even some estate pipes, I'm assuming that is why they were gotten rid of.  If I have a problem I will clean the bowl and shank with everclear until I get a a clean/mostly clean pipe cleaner and then I will let it dry for several days.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    For reasons I can't explain, I kept the original box in which my latest Peterson came. Interestingly, there is a flyer inside that says the following: "A Peterson pipe requires no special breaking-in treatment. . ." If there were no question about this, it seems strange that they would feel the need to mention it.
  • Options
    I agree @topaz75. I believe they state that on their website as well. Very strange indeed. 
  • Options
    Petersons have had a rep for being hard to break in, due to the dipstain method mentioned above. I'm not a big Peterson fan, but I do have a PotY 2014 that I had absolutely no trouble at all breaking in.
  • Options

I've got 7 of them and never really had an abnormal problem breaking in, just the usual 5 or 6 smokes to soften the taste.

My newest one I've had for 30 years so perhaps the do the differently now?

• Options
    I have 3 system Deluxe pipes. I have just filled them and smoked them ensuring to keep them as cool as possible for the first few smokes. It's briar, the usual break in works well for me. Nothing fancy just don't puff like a steam engine and it should be good.
  • Options

@Topaz75, @PipeProfessor, Peterson and many of the other manufactures coat the inside of the bowl with a black material. I am pretty sure that is why they state no break in. I have heard it referred to as a pre carburized layer, I think it is a light refractory that helps protect the briar while a cake is formed. Personally I prefer the coating, it makes break in easier and poses less risk of accidental damage prior to a protective cake forming. Here is a link that talks about it if anyone is interested, its not the article I was looking for but it will give you an idea.

http://thepipeguys.com/the-truth-about-bowl-coatings/

• Options

Elruletero, methods for breaking in a pipe will vary from one smoker to the next. My interest in Pete's are primarily Pre Republic P-lips, which are most likely already seasoned. Were I lucky enough to find one unsmoked, I most likely couldn't bring myself to smoke it anyhow.

As for a new Pete, if I purchased one that had a bowl coating, I would most likely remove it and take the interior of the bowl down to bare briar. Then I would fill the bowl as I normally do, and take my pick and use the center punch method to create a center burn. Once I smoke the bowl down far enough that there is about 20% unburned tobacco left, I will let the pipe cool, rake out any ash, and let the pipe sit for a day to allow the unburned tobacco some drying time. Then I will refill the pipe about 75%, and again use the center punch technique. I will repeat this process about 5 or 6 times, before I begin smoking the pipe all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

My goal isn't to build a lot of cake, but to simply season the briar as you would a cast iron skillet, or muzzleloader barrel. Once the bowl is seasoned, it won't be fire proof, but it will be much more fire resistant. If you can learn to smoke your pipe and barely keep it lit, you will experience better flavor from your tobacco, less tongue/steam bite, and rarely have any burnouts or draft hole damage, even when purposely keeping cake to a minimum.

• Options
    I think it was mentioned above, but the new Petersons already have a coating on the inside of the bowl. You need only smoke away.
  • Options
    I have 6 Peterson pipes that I have bought new or been given when they were new. 
    All I have ever done is follow the directions that came with them. They are basicly to alternate 1/2 bowl and a full bowl until the cake is formed.  I have had no problems using this method.