Home Ask an Expert
Options

Mason Jars - Glass or Plastic?

Experts, tell me please if you think plastic mason jars will impart a "plastic" taste to tobaccos stored in them for long periods.  I know home brewers swear by glass carbouys (which I use myself) but was wondering if any of you use plastic jars for aging tobaccos?  Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    I'm no expert, but I know that Tupperware style containers DO ghost. However, I have found that if washed with baking soda, and allowed to air out for a period of time, I cannot detect any ghost.

I suspect you may be referring to the bail style plexiglass jars that are available nowdays. I have used those for storing blends that I have in current rotation, but I have never trusted the container and seal for long term aging.

As far as a plastic taste that I can detect when smoking the tobacco that I have stored in them, I have never been able to detect any off flavors. However, some folks have a more sensitive palate than others, and tend to be the best candidates for writing tobacco reviews.
  • Options
    Smokers have suggested that plastic sealed bags can also change the flavor of a tobacco so I would assume the same may hold true for plastic jars as well. A chemical break-down between the tobacco and the plastic. 
  • Options
    I have 2 plastic Mason Jars that I have kept tobacco in, I split a pound of an English Blend in one plastic and one glass. I didn't do it to test. When I opened the plastic one the seal offered no resistance so I opened the glass one too, the glass one was tighter. In 2 years the plastic one's contents seem dryer. I changed the tobacco over to a glass jar and I use the plastic ones for short term storage. I noticed no plastic taste, but I don't use them for long term cellaring.
  • Options
    Excellent points.  Thanks
  • Options
    Why even ask? 

Glass and a fresh rubber seal.      [Awkward phrasing    -10 points]
  • Options
    I purchased  a couple of "Tight Vac" containers on Amazon on sale.   The Mini works really well for about a week or so of tobacco and the pill-vac for the day.  They have plastic button you press as closing which creates the seal. Many similar products seem designed for things other than tobacco.
  • Options
    Glass is ALWAYS better than plastic. Contents stay fresh longer then in plastic which alters flavor and texture.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    I never use plastic for anything i want to store for a long time.  Mason gars are awesome and cheap. I have also created fun & removable labels for the jars so i can change them out if I decide i dont like a particular blend.  Since i am more of a weekend piper, I dont buy tobacco in bulk. I am still learning and experimenting with different kinds of tobacco so i wanted a way to store many flavors and styles so they dont dry out or mold. ...maybe i will start a thread on this.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Glass. It's a no contest.
  • Options
    Here is a mystery for one of you Sherlock fans to solve for me. My pipe tobacco is scattered throughout the house in drawers, a trunk, and the top shelf of a closet. All are in sealed Mason jars. Let me correct that statement ... the jars were not vacuum sealed, just with the lids tightly closed. Yet even though the blends are in tightly 'closed' Mason jars the aroma of pipe tobacco can be detected where-ever the jars are stored. It's not a problem because I love the smell of the tobacco. It just has me perplexed as to how the aroma can be escaping tightly closed Mason jars. And the tobacco remains fresh and moist, so there doesn't seem to be air getting to the tobacco to dry it out.   
  • Options
    It's probably you.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2017
    Talk about ghosts!  :D
  • Options
    I have always just used the glass jars simply because I have a lot of them.
  • Options
    Does anyone else reverse the mason jar cover to its white side and use erasable ink to label their tobacco?  I don't vacuum seal either, but the tobacco seems to maintain it's proper moisture.  Has anyone had problems flipping the lid like i do resulting in dried out tobacco?  
  • Options
    @jim102864 I've never considered doing that - or heard of anyone doing it before. Interesting.