Home Ask an Expert
Options

What to expect from the first smoke?

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to the world of pipe smoking, just received my first pipe and tobacco the other day. My question is simple: What should I expect from my first smoke? The tobacco I chose is Frog Morton's On the Town, I packed a good size half bowl into my Stanwell De Luxe 88, it smoked for about 30-40 minutes, had to relight once but it seemed difficult to keep it lit after I smoked about half of what I packed. Maybe it wasn't packed down enough? Also had a peppery kind of sensation on the tongue, is that what we call tongue bite or was that just the tobacco flavors talking? How much smoke should I be seeing from taking draws? If I'm seeing real heavy clouds of smoke, am I smoking too hot? The bowl was slightly warm but nothing too extreme; I thought that should be expected seeing that there hasn't been a build up of cake yet.

Just looking for general comments on what one is to expect from the first smoke and smokes to follow.

Thanks fellow pipe smokers!

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to pipe smoking.

The first things every new smoker should expect is tongue bite, relights and not getting all the tobacco smoked to white ash. So I think you have it covered.

The following are my opinions, others may have different ones.
    1 It will take you a while to get the packing down to where you can smoke a full bowl. There are many different ways to pack a bowl and you will just have to try them until you find the ones you like. Some like to stick the pipe in a pouch and scoop tobacco into the bowl. Some like to pinch the tobacco between the thumb and forefinger and pack it in a little at a time. There are other ways so keep experimenting until you find what you like.

2. Relights are as common as breathing. The only time I worry about having to relight is during long smoke competition where its not allowed. One way to prevent relights is to make sure you use your tamper. I personally don't press down hard with the tamper except when I first light the pipe. As I am smoking the pipe, I will just let the weight of the tamper do the work.

3. Tongue bite can be caused from smoking to fast. Tongue bite can also be caused by the tobacco being too moist when smoked or it can simply be body chemistry having to do with the PH level in your body. I actually know a couple of pipe smokers who get tongue bite all the time but not so bad that give up the pipe. 

4. You should see a good amount of smoke when you are taking draws. If you are barely seeing any, it is probably an indication that the pipe isn't lit properly. When I light my pipe, I go for getting the top of the tobacco glowing so it burns down evenly. Now, a caution, don't huff and puff like a freight train (it will cause tongue bite). With experience you will learn a cadence that gives you a nice amount of smoke and a slow, satisfying smoke. 

5. I have not smoked a pipe yet where the bowl didn't get warm. It has to do with the nature of fire to be hot. Seriously, with briar or meerschaum pipes, you should only get concerned if the bowl is getting so hot you can't hold it. If you get the chance to get a clay pipe don't even attempt to hold the bowl as it will get way too hot to hold. 

6. Find out if there is a pipe club or other pipe smokers near you. If there is a club, join it and learn from the other members. 

Anybody else have any suggestions or corrections to what I've just typed?
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    dls235, welcome, and enjoy your pipe smoking experience. It sounds to me as though you have the technique down, just keep at it. Good advice can come from all corners but we all have to find what works best. Packing, lighting, tamping, relights, tamping, Al depends on what type tobacco you smoke, moisture content, etc. As you said, related to smoke volumne, again, depends on the type and moisture content. As others have said, it is good to have several pipes to rotate in order to avoid a wet heel. When done, empty the pipe, run a pipe cleaner through it.This is a wonderful hobby that can last a lifetime and give varied experiences. Just finished a bowl of Peretti's D-7485 an English blend in my latest pipe acquisition a Savinelli Trevi 320. 
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    I am new as well so I can't offer much but I can recommend to not overlook the otc blends. There is a reason those blends are as old as they are. Currently I am working on a pouch of Prince Albert. Its ok but I prefer half and half. My next Pouch is carter hall.
  • Options

Some great advice already given. One thing I can add that comes to mind, is that when I dry my tobacco, I usually like it to go into the pipe crispy. If it is too dry, it will crumble to dust when pinched, and that is too dry. I like for it to still be pliable, but barely.

Different blends require different amounts of moisture content to smoke well. This is one of the skills involved in pipe smoking, that sets those who make an art of it, vs. those who struggle to enjoy their pipe. If you feel that your tobacco is too dry after you have loaded a bowl, you can make a ring with your thumb and index finger, and gently exhale into the top of the bowl. This will add a little moisture back to the tobacco on top. No need to worry about the tobacco further down the bowl, the burning process creates moisture in the smoke stream, and you will end up with tobacco that is plenty moist halfway down the bowl.

Another thing I would suggest, is to listen to others advice with an open mind, and then experiment with your new knowledge, and decide what YOU like, and decide how YOU like to do things. There are a lot of different approaches when it comes to pipe smoking, and the ones that you prefer are always the ones that work the best.

Also, if you try a particular tobacco in a particular pipe, and do not like it, don't be too hasty and write the blend off without experimenting with it in a few other pipes. Over time, you will learn to look at a pipes size and bore, and instinctively know what type blends and cuts that will most likely be a match.

Don't be surprised if your techniques continue to evolve over the next couple of years.

• Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I would add that when it comes to pipe smoking, the beginning is often the hardest part. Above all, you must resist the urge to give up. Pipe smoking is not as easy as it appears. It seems to me that many would be pipe smokers find it initially difficult, and thus end up abandoning the hobby much too quickly. Practice, practice, practice. In the end, you will most likely be glad that you did.
  • Options
    Also try a wide variety of blends before giving up. You may discover you're more suited for an aromatic blend than an English or Virginia Perique.
  • Options
    Welcome jls235! From my experience with the Frog Morton series, they tend to burn a bit cooler in the bowl, so it doesn't feel as hot. Honestly, that's a good thing, as it's not fun holding a bowl that's burning hot.

Don't feel bad whatsoever about having to relight your pipe. It's rare to smoke a pipe and never have to relight. Even tonight with my first pipe, I have a few matches in the tray. It takes a few times to get packing and lighting down right. In my opinion, the most important part to get down right is packing. Your entire experience will depend on how you pack your pipe, but once you get that, everything else will fall in place.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe pretty much nailed it.Experiment and enjoy!
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. 235,

Sorry to hear the Frog got your tongue. Hopefully someday you'll look back on when you met him with great fondness and forget about all the little things that didn't go as planned. 

As the others have said, keep at it, make those adjustments along the way and you will really enjoy it. In fact I personally believe the quest for excellence is a big part of the joy. In thirty years of smoking a pipe I believe there has only been four or five times when I thought that was the perfect smoke. When everything lined up just the right way. The right tobacco in the right pipe, packed perfectly, and probably the perfect weather, and it smoked right down to that last speck of tobacco when the ember went out and the last little puff went away. After an hour and a half all that was left was a little pinch of white ash and a big smile.

Sure after a while things will be second nature for you, and you can concentrate on tasting various blends or trying different pipes, or maybe even not think of it at all, just light up and mow your lawn. But the fact that you are taking the time to learn to do it right and seem to care is a great thing, and when that day comes and that last little puff goes away and a big light bulb goes off, you realize - Holy [deleted] that was amazing!

On The Town, very good choice. Notice Mr. Frog is going in to see Don Giovanni?
  • Options
    Best advice for novice and old-timer alike:

The Draw copy
  • Options
    Our own website (TPL) has this to offer on tongue bite: https://thispipelife.com/tpl-article/12/

Hank at http://pipesmagazine.com has a theory that there are <<a couple of different schools of thought around tongue bite:

1) The school of arrogance says, “You’re simply smoking too fast, slow down and puff at a much lower cadence and you’ll notice everything gets better.”

2) The school of baccy says, “It’s a chemistry thing and you just need to change what you’re smoking.” In this thinking, blends from another manufacturer might just not bother you. 

3) The school of wise old pipe smokers says, “You’re not drinking enough whiskey.”

While I think number 2 is probably the most accurate, I always prefer to first extensively test that the problem isn’t related to number 3. Then I work my way backwards on the list. >>
  • Options
    But back to being a beginning pipe smoker, there are more than 22 Art-of-Pipe-Smoking-for-Beginners type articles in my collection. But the best of the best IMHO is at Al Pascia's website:

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    The article on Pascia's is pretty good on the basics. A side note: Trying to find a pipe that doesn't say "sold" on Al Pascia's website is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Plus what Italian pipe store doesn't carry Castello? They either consider themselves too exclusive or are Choochs.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    @motie2 I am impressed with the amount of links and information you have on pipes and tobacco. What is your secret to keeping it all organized? How do you remember what all you have? Is it easy for you to retrieve it?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Hiker007 -- Thanks for the kind words. To answer: When I decided to take up the pipe after a few decade hiatus, I went after it the way I do anything: research online. I have hundreds of files related to pipes and pipe tobacco. I keep what I've saved well organized. If you want info on something, I'd be happy to share my research.

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 11.08.21 AM