Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Whats Your Frankenblend?

So does anyone have a Frankenblend? Something made up from left over tobacco or something created from fresh tins? How about mixing cigars with pipe tobacco?
I have mixed some frog morton and McCl 25 ani with maduro fuente hemingways and a maduro fuente 858 ...i layered the pipe tobacco with some cut up cigar and found it simply amazing!
I also tried some Capt Black gold and a drew estate java that was pretty nice as well!!

Comments

• Options
    I have a jar labeled "Pappy's Compost." It mostly contains the remains of tins where there was maybe just enough to fill a bowl or about half a tin of tobacco I decided I didn't really enjoy for various reasons. At one point I mixed in about a half a pouch of Prince Albert which for some reason made Compost very smokeable. 

I like to dump the contents in a bowl every time I open the jar and mix it up good. 

Haven't smoked it in a month or so. May have to do that today.
  • Options
    KyohanKyohan Newcomer
    4oz of Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evening with 2oz each of McClelland's 5100 Red Cake and 5105 Stoved Virginia.
  • Options
    KirbybKirbyb Newcomer
    50/50 H&H Anniversay Kake and Classice Burley Kake. Great summer smoke
  • Options
    crapgamecrapgame Newcomer
    i recieved coupons awhile back and make a nice blend for 4 bucks!! H&H...five bros....paladin..PA reg...mix well..pretty nice on the cheap
  • Options
    I just made one this morning. I have some Trout Stream that isn't really doing it for me. So I mixed some 50/50 with Carter Hall and had a really great morning smoke with my coffee. I will continue to fine tune it, but it was really good. I think I will call it, Hall of the Trout.
  • Options
    I mix 50% golden honey and 50% Esquire (a house mild cherry blend). It's like American Honey with a sweet cherry kick.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Resurrecting a moribund discussion folder....

Once again, for the newcomers, and for any aromatic smoker who hasn't tried it....

Our own @ghostsofpompeii is always coming up with a new combination of tobacco blends. He's even into "stacking" (packing layers of different flavors in one bowl). 
    In my humble opinion (and they don't come any humbler, he said, modestly), Ghost achieved immortality when he created 

Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Street Blend

The name is a reference to Sherlock Holmes' landlady. 
    Since Holmes probably smoked a strong English blend, naming a sweet aromatic after him would be inappropriate. 

The blend consists of four Sutliff bulk tobaccos blended together as follows: 

Three parts (or 3 oz.) Sutliff Vanilla Custard

Two parts (or 2 oz.) Sutliff Chocolate Mousse
    One part (or 1 oz.) Sutliff Crème Brulee
    (Optional: A pinch or two of Sutliff Irish Cream)

Comments:
    1) @ghostsofpompeii has suggested that one could omit the Irish Cream
    2) I've substituted Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce (tin) for the Creme Brûlée. The two are similar, with the Molto Dolce being a bit sweeter.

This blend is an absolute delight and @ghostsofpompeii is a freakin' genius. 
    I've tried mixing commercially produced tobacco blends and have never come near anything so enjoyable on every level: 

easy to light and keep lit, 
    great taste, smell, and room note, 
    no bite, 
    moist but not goopy dottle and bowl bottom,
    and no negative ghosting.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Besides my Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend, which Motie has discussed at some length (making me a legend in my own mind), I also have a similar jar as PappyJoe where I toss in blends which have been in my tobacco pouch for too long, or remnants of a tin that just isn't enough for a bowl. They're all flavorful aromatics, so it can be quite tasty. But trying to duplicate the blend would be impossible, so I simply enjoy it as I burn through it. Being an ALIEN fan I've called the blend  "Nostromo" - named after the vessel from the first ALIEN movie. I also have a smaller jar with a few Latakia blends I'd dig into now and again from that period of time when I way trying to branch out to accept English blends. I've added quite a bit of blending Perique to the jar as well and smoke it when I feel the need to get jittery and sick to my stomach. Like when I'm expected to attend a family affair that I don't want to go to ... and can use being sick as my excuse for staying home. Wish I had this stuff when I was a kid and didn't want to go to school.  
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    <<I also have a smaller jar with a few Latakia blends I'd dig into now and again from that period of time when I way trying to branch out to accept English blends. I've added quite a bit of blending Perique to the jar as well and smoke it when I feel the need to get jittery and sick to my stomach. Like when I'm expected to attend a family affair that I don't want to go to ... and can use being sick as my excuse for staying home. >>

Hilarious............
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    The most recent 'frankenblend' that I have is a combination of BS-005 + Medal of Valor + a touch of Nightcap.  It has an odd flavor...  not particularly fond of it but it'll do in a pinch when the reserves are running low.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    Glad to hear I am not the only one with a jar of miscellaneous tobacco. I am cheap, and could not stand throwing away that little bit that would not fill up a bowl. After a while, it adds up to a full jar of smokable mystery blend.
  • Options
    A wonderful article from @PappyJoe's blog

Blend Your Own Tobacco? Why Not?

https://pappyjoesblog.com/blend-tobacco-not/

• Options
    My only Frankenblend is 75% bag end from the country squire, 25% frog Morton cellar. The first time i tried bagend i felt i needed to add something i was more fond of, now i love bag end on its own, but i still enjoy my frankenblend occasionally 
  • Options
    Yes, think have one... Every tin or pouch that I smoke, when get to the end, meaning less than a bowl, I toss in a jar and mix. Once in while or when running out of tobacco I visit my "special" jar. It is like a Tobacco Saving for raining days. 
  • Options
    My "special" blend is named Gumbo. It started out with about a half tin of an English blend I just hated and some Prince Albert. Now, as @riobrusa does, I toss in the remnants of a tin or jar when it gets down to less than a bowl. About once a week I actually smoke the Gumbo blend. Usually once a month, I dump it into a big bowl and mix it up by hand.
  • Options
    I also have a Frakenblend going, unfortunately I have no idea exactly what's in this blend except today I added the last of my Sutliff Carmello. I  guess it will be a surprise at some point.
  • Options
    I always thought of my "small amount left; I'll dump in in this here jar," as "Best of the Rest," but P&C has the same idea:

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/best-of-the-rest-pipe-tobacco-pipe-tobacco/1475880/#p-2000107
  • Options
    My jar is labelled "Odds of the Ends" and after someone made a comment in another thread (elsewhere? don't remember) I've started a second jar to receive any of my leftover odd-not-enough-for-a-bowl latakia bearing blends. Looking forward to when that one has enough to start smoking the occasional bowl of ever-changing whatever-it-contains as opposed to my original jar with the mixture of aros (and steadily declining proportion of latakia added before jar 2 "came online").
  • Options
    A few years ago I developed a simple blend I called my lawn mowing blend. I mixed Lane 1q 50/50 with any straight Virginia I had in my cellar, but usually MB Virginia #1. I don't know why I liked this so much, but I felt it was a nice warm weather blend that was a little sweet and grassy, and I would smoke it in a MM cob WITH a filter. This was because I would clench the pipe while driving my mower and I didn't want to temp tongue bite or fool with pipe cleaners. Used a Zippo pipe lighter to light it, and a twig for a tamper. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2019
    Pipe Smoking Tip For Today from Pipestud's Consignment Shop <steve@pipestud.com>
    <a href="https://www.pipestud.com">https://www.pipestud.com/</a>
    <a href="https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pipestud&amp;_sop=1https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pipestud&amp;_sop=1" title="Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pipestud&amp;_sop=1https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pipestud&amp;_sop=1">https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pipestud&amp;_sop=1</a>

<<I was recently emailing back and forth with one of your fellow First Responders members regarding my use of a one speed food processor to grind my tobacco before I smoke it. He subsequently purchased one and I am hoping he finds the results to be as good as I did. In a year 1996 issue of Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine, there was a story on famous American pipe maker Michael Butera. In the article, Butera said he used a one speed food processor to chop up all of his tobacco as it aided in mixing all the components evenly which made packing easier and presented a more even burn for a cooler smoke. It also enable the smoker to relight less frequently since there were fewer gaps between tobacco and air. So, I purchased one of those gizmo's and was an immediate believer. Just make sure that you purchase a one speed food processor and not a mixer that has a much higher resolution speed or all you'll get is tobacco puree'.

* Please Note - Make sure the food processor is your own! Before mine arrived I was eager to start the process and snuck the blender that my wife used to make her morning orange juice/banana drink. Due to the high resolution speed of the blender, my tobacco was almost soup. I thought I had cleaned the mess up pretty well, but she was none too pleased the next morning when, while drinking her concoction, she found shards of Latakia mixed in with her drink. I'm not sure that I'm out of the doghouse yet for that one!>>

Hey, TPL brethren -- What do you think of this? Sounds pretty weird to me, but I'm an old fuddy-duddy.......

• Options
    I discovered a while back that I am not a fan of flake tobacco, and crumble cake was not up my alley either. Considering my shelf had a few tins of with va/per and navy flake as well as a bunch of crumble cakes from c& d and gl I decided to try out some blending. Half of the blend was english crumbles then a bit of broken flake and finally some prince albert and carter hall to finish it up. Ended up being one of the best mason jars I ever had, lasted me all summer.
  • Options
    Recently, with the coming of (almost) warm weather, I've been smoking a blend of one part RLP-6, one part BCA. one part VBC, and three parts Barbados Plantation..... A smoke that satisfies (me!).
  • Options
    Unable to edit the above.
    I meant "...... three parts MOLTO DOLCE." 
    I'm keeping BP -- my go to aro -- for smoking straight.
  • Options
    Oh boy... I've been stuffing my frankenblend jar for a while now and it's basically like some sort of archaeological dig sit... you can see the layers haha! I'll have to take a photo when i get home. Been meaning to buy a bowl for it to blend it all together. It'll be interesting i think. I know I have some 1Q, H&H Prince Andrew, Capt Black, Drexel? and a few more i think. 
  • Options
    Lately my Frankenblend consists of, but not necessarily limited to, the following:
    Molto Dolce 
    Berries & Cream
    Peterson Irish Dew 
    Erin go Bragh 
    SV Bourbon Whiskey
    C'est La Vie
    Taste of Summer 
    🤔
    I know I'm forgetting a few more, but at my age, that's not surprising...😬
  • Options
    Embarrassed, I call it, “Navy Grog”

1 part Barbados Plantation
    1 part Molto Dolce
    1 part H&H Egg Nog

My idea of a perfect aromatic blend, sweet enough to give you diabetes.