Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Let's talk Dark Fired Kentucky

I really enjoy dark fired tobaccos such Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake. The smokey flavor very different from Latakia really speaks to me. I'm looking to try some different ones and sites like tobaccoreviews.com don't have dark fired listed as a blend. What dark fired blends you like and would recommend?

Comments

• Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer

@saintbubbles... keenly watching this post!  :)

Love the HHODFRR!

• Options

Wish I could comment on some of the blends that contain DFK, but Old Dark Fired, JackKnife Plug, and MacBaren Vintage Syrian are the only three I can remember sampling. I am fairly certain the reason I am in love with these three blends, are because DFK is a component. I can usually detect DFK in a blend, because I get a certain feeling in my throat. It is hard to describe, but it is distinct, and I only experience it with blends that contain DFK.

Any time I am researching blends, and I find out that a particular blend contains DFK, it will almost always pique my interest.

• Options
    @saintbubbles, the Tobacco Locator function at smokingpipes.com does have a selector for Dark Fired Kentucky which should produce LOTS of results.  Some have reviews, some don't but from there, you should be able to go to tobaccoreviews.com to look at the individual blends. 
  • Options
    @xDutchx Thanks for the info. I saw JackKnife Plug come up somewhere else and have been looking at it. Gonna drop a tin of it in my next order.How do you like to prepare plug tobacco? I haven't had it and have seen various techniques listed. I'm also a big MacBaren. I'll throw it in my wishlist to check out soon.

@SERENTIL I hadn't seen that function on smokingpipes.com. I'll check out. Thanks.
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    GLP Cumberland is another I believe
  • Options
    It looks like tobaccoreviews.com does have a filter for Kentucky.  It brought up HH Old Dark Fired..etc. 
  • Options

@Saintbubbles, I like to use one of those little Stanley Razorblade Scrapers that hold a razor blade, that can be reversed. You can usually find them in the paint section, along side stripping supplies, such as crown molding and baseboard sanding sponges. They work great on plug tobacco as well. When you are done prepping your tobacco, you can push the button, pop the scraper open, reverse the blade, and drop it into your pocket or pack for easy portability. Here is a sample pic of the scraper I am referring to.

StanleyRazorbladeScraper
  • Options
    APCookAPCook Newcomer
    I too am a Dark Fired Kentucky lover.
    -Peterson's Irish Flake is full of the stuff.
    -For someone looking to try it out and have an aromatic crossover, GL Pease has Virginia Cream, not much of an aro, but a touch of whisky and vanilla to tie it all together.... and it doesn't ghost.
    -GL Pease Navigator is a favorite.
    -Gawith 1792 Flake (if you like Tonquin, I do)
    -Gawith ropes tend to be full of it. The brown is tasty, and very strong.
    -Firestorm in the RO series is very pleasant.
    -McClelland makes Royal Cajun, where they process Dark Fired like Perique
    -And of course, C&D Exhausted Rooster... Delicious.
    I have more in the cellar that I'm waiting to try, so I'll keep you posted. But I enjoy all of the above!
  • Options
    @APCook, I had forgotten that the Gawith ropes have DFK. They are one of my favorites, and no doubt the DFK is one reason why.
  • Options
    You might look at Newminster #403 Superior Round Slices (coin cut with a Virginia wrapper surrounding a center of DFK)
    Another curly cut you might look at Mac Baren's 3 Nuns.
  • Options
    @xDutchx, that little tool looks like it would work well with rope (twist) tobacco as well, yes?  I'm having difficulty with cutting and prepping my GH&C Sweet Whisky rope.
  • Options
    @APCook Thanks for the great list. Ropes are something I'm definitely going to try in the future.
    @TheLowlyApprentice Newminister is a brand I keep hearing good things about. I'm placing my next order from cupojoes.com and unfortunately they don't care it. 
    @xDutchx Thanks for the tip for the plug. I've got something similar here I can use. The JackKnife is in my cart.
    @SERENTIL While I have no personal experience with ropes, I've seem multiple Youtube videos that use a cigar cutter to prep their ropes. It looks pretty efficient. 
  • Options
    Newminster Superior Round Slices are wrapped with Virginias around a center of Stoved Kentucky, I find them really good. Newminster is probably a blender  that wont make the  FDA's Nazi list so get them while you can.
  • Options
    Ohhh... the Newminster looks really good!!!   Added to my list of must tries!!    https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Newminster/No.403-Superior-Round-Slices/product_id/102423/bulk
  • Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    Vermont meat candy. It's maple bacon tobacco, 'nuff said
  • Options
    @SERENTIL, yes it works well with those cuts like plug and rope, that can be challenging and time consuming to prep. It also works great for cutting the cap on a premium cigar. Although, like cardboard, tobacco seems to dull razor blades quickly, which is the only drawback I find to using this type of cutter.
  • Options
    I got the GLP JackKnife Plug in last night. I cut a slice off, rubbed it out and loaded it up in a cob. It took me a bit to get it lit but once I did, O MY GAWD, was it good. I should have dried out a some but it was late and I was impatient. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Options
    Bacon Old Fashioned from Briar Works is quite delicious.  
  • Options
    @Saintbubbles, cobs are my preference for JackKnife Plug, as well as Triple Play. Traditionally, plugs were used by working men as a chew during the day, and cob tobacco at night. I love the nostalgia that the plugs and ropes provide, and as a blender, Mr. Pease is at the top of his game.
  • Options
    @xDutchX I'm a newish pipe smoker. This is my first time purchasing a plug and won't be my last. I noticed Pease has a lot of them. If they are all as good as this one I know I won't be disappointed. Also the cobs and plugs seem to be a natural match. I find myself reaching for the cobs more than the briars I have. Great smokers.