Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Pre-2007 blends

If it's true that the government plans to ban all blends introduced after (since?) 2007, we need  a way to determine what blends existed before the cut off date. I think these sites may be a partial answer: look at their dates when you go there 

Comments

• Options
    I guess instead of the Boston Tea Party we need a Boston Tobacco Party.
  • Options
    I went looking for my Sutliff favorites: Barbados Plantation, Molto Dolce, Maple Street, Taste of Summer....... All will be gone. 

Time to stock up, big time
  • Options
    It's not perfect but look on tobaccoreviews.com. You can get an idea from the dates of the reviews.
  • Options

Looks as it the Frogmortons make it except Cellar.

• Options
    For those of you who smoke G.L Please tobaccos (http://glpease.com/):

The following G.L.Pease blends were introduced after the so-called Deeming Date, 15 March 2007, and may be subject to the new FDA regulations.

Embarcadero
    Union Square
    Maltese Falcon
    The Virginia Cream
    Key Largo
    The entire Old London Series
    The entire New World Collection
  • Options
    Is there anywhere to get a full list of post 2007 blends, so we can squirrel them away?
  • Options

I am really surprised at this point, that none of the online tobacconists have not compiled a list of these tobaccos. If they had, they might already be sold out

I am guessing that some of the online tobacconists with deep pockets, purchased major quantities of post 2007 tobacco awhile back. It might explain why some other online tobacconists have been sold out for so long. If that is the case, most of what is left of the post 2007 blends, lay in the hands of just a few retailers.

Point being, if you are interested in a particular blend, I wouldn't wait for it to come back in stock at your favorite retailer, if you know you can purchase it immediately somewhere else.

• Options
    Newminster blends seem to be going very quickly, I'm seeing a lot of out of stock info on them. I think I have enough for a year or three.
  • Options
    @jhubb10, that would be a lot of work to compile. There are dozens, if not hundreds. You are going to have to do your own leg work. Find the post 2007 blends you love by checking reviews on TR, as was suggested above.
  • Options
    It seems funny that the government will not outlaw or ban tobacco in its entirety but they will tax and regulate the crap out of it to discourage smoking.  The world health movement has determined that tobacco is cancer causing, noxious, and disgusting so EVERYONE is expected to get on board with this ideology.  So much different today then it was 50 or 100 years ago where smoking, especially among men, was a more socially acceptable. All of the anti-tobacco crap began in the 1990s and slowly progressed into what it is today.

There once was a time where a person could smoke anywhere without any hassles.  Trains, planes, buses, stores, offices, restaurants, even doctor's offices and hospitals permitted smoking.  Billboards, newspapers, magazines and store advertisements once offered selections on pipe tobacco, cigars, and cigarette brands. Today, there are no advertisements for any tobacco products or whiskey products anymore except in select magazines.  Just anti-smoking related public service messages.

Smokers have no rights and the legislators who still enjoy tobacco is diminishing and being replaced by anti-tobacco supporters.   
     My point?  I am just a bit angry about this and am just venting.  
  • Options
    @Charles - welcome to the forum. Let me correct one thing, the government is not outlawing or banning tobacco because they want the money generated by the taxes.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    Stopped in my tobacconist last night and was asking about Wilderness from McClelland's and if he was going to order any more in. His comment was that he is aware of he cannot order any more; when he spoke with McClelland's they were out of it in their warehouse. Not sure but I think this may also have the Syrian Latakia in it which is becoming scarce but this is a Post 2007 blend and I wonder if they will be making any more because of the regulations?
  • Options
    When I was in college back in the early 1970s, I smoked an incredible blend from Wally Frank. Mixture T767. I would love to know that formula to recreate t. English with a lot of Latakia. 
  • Options
    ErikRuark; I also had a favorite blend from Wally Frank called "Old King Cole" In 2014 a member  of PipeChat named Speas helped me find my way to it. Did you try Pipepedia?
  • Options
    I suppose if the s**t really hits the fan with the FDA Deeming Regulations I can always go back to Captain Black, provided it's not marked up in the $20.00 a pouch range by then. But looking at the Big Picture,  the way things are going on in the world I'm sure my tobacco supply is the least of my worries. But should the apocalypse be around the corner I'm sure I have more than enough tobacco in my cellar to get me to the final days. (nervous laughter)
  • Options
    @Woodsman -- http://www.nytimes.com/1973/07/15/archives/a-trove-in-paramus-for-young-adventurers-shop-talk.html

Excerpt from 7-15-73: <<About 50 per cent of all pipe smokers share Mr. Woolever's preference for natural tobacco; the rest buy aromatic tobacco, which smells good to other people but isn't as cool or mild to the taste. “They're the ones who keep trying different blends, hoping to find one that tastes good,” Mr. Woolever said. “Some blends of aromatic tobacco are better than others, but, generally, the better it smells, the worse it tastes.”

Everything that tobacco is soaked In (usually bourbon) or has added to it (Just about anything you CO think of) makes it burn hotter and wetter. “The mildest of the aromatic blends — and the beet to my taste —Is Old King Cole,” said Mr. Woolever. (It costs $1.95 for a half‐pound can, or 50 cents for a two‐ounce pouch.) “The best natural tobacco for the money is our own blend — Mixture No. 69. It costs 40 cents an ounce loose, or $2.30 for half a pound.”

The best tobacco in the world, according to Mr. Woolever, is Rattray's Black Mallory ($3.85 for four ounces). A blend of about 16 natural tobaccos, it is Imported from Scotland.>>

• Options
    Woodsman: thanks for the lead. I had never heard of 'Pipepedia'.
  • Options

li.li1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; line-height: 18.0px; font: 16.0px 'Times New Roman'; color: #444444}
    li.li2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; line-height: 18.0px; font: 16.0px 'Times New Roman'; color: #444444; min-height: 18.0px}
    span.s1 {color: #9d130a}
    span.s2 {font-kerning: none}
    span.Apple-tab-span {white-space:pre}
    ul.ul1 {list-style-type: disc}

• TobaccoReviews - For helpful reviews of nearly any blend (even those that were discontinued ages ago), this is the place to go.
    • PipeSmokerForum - From tobacco reviews, to advice for beginner smokers, to tips on growing tobacco, it's a pretty reliable source on a variety of pipe smoking topics.
    • PipesMagazine - Though less focused on detailed tobacco and pipe information, Pipesmagazine is a great source for pipe and tobacco related news. The forums discuss a lot of general pipe smoking topics as well.
    • Chris' Pipe Pages - From old catalogs to scans of mysterious patents, there's some really cool stuff tucked away in Chris' Pipe Pages. It's often overlooked, but if you're willing to dig around a bit, you can find some pretty rare gems.
    • Pipedia - Probably the most extensive resource for information on well-known makers, Pipedia is a wiki for all things pipe related.
    • G. L. Pease - For a quick and easy description and inspiration behind a particular blend, we often use G.L.Pease''s site itself. Site is loaded with interesting stuff.
    • Pipephil - Logos and Markings - a comprehensive study of logos, stamps, and nomenclature. Search for brands by country, name, or logo.
    • Reddit - Reddit's "pipe tobacco" sub-category. A great and friendly place for beginners to ask questions and receive feedback from more experienced smokers.
    • North American Society of Pipe Collectors - Promotinge pipe smoking, sharing of information, and fellowship. Has an excellent page of links.
  • Options
    @EricRuark The list @Motie2 is a good one and if you can find answers to just about every question you have about pipe smoking on them. I'm also a member on the pipesmokersforum.com and pipesmagazine.com both of which have been around for a long time and have covered many topics. Eventually This Pipe Life will be as big as they are.

If you are not already a fan, let me suggest The Country Squire Radio podcast. Jon David Cole (the owner of The Country Squire Tobacconist in Jackson, MS) and Beau York do a live recording of the podcast usually on Monday night and then upload it on Wednesday morning. The live show is always enjoyable and they interact with those of us on twitter (and I think, Instagram) during the live show.
    The live show is both entertaining and informative.