Home General
Options

How old (or young)?

Ok, confession time. Kids, especially boys get curious early, right? So, how old (or young) were you when you had your first pipe and/or cigar. Whether you had permission or not, or whether you got caught or not.  I'll confess first.  I smoked one of my Dad's pipes, the whole thing, without getting sick, when I was 9.  I think he knew I had but technically, I didn't get caught.  I was 12 when I tried my first cigar.  Again, didn't get sick, and Dad didn't confront me, but I'm sure he knew that time.

Comments

• Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    My first cigar was when I was 21. A cohiba I smoked with my cousin. My first pipe is at 37. A bowl of half and half in a mm.
  • Options
    My first pipe was when I was 28 years old. Never tried anything else beforehand, and I'm still just a pipe guy. While I was interested in pipes since I was a kid, I waited until I decided it was time to pick up pipe smoking.
  • Options
    When I was 21 some friends and I bought a few King Edwards cigars at a truck stop and smoked them in their diner. Smoked up joint pretty bad and pissed off some people but we didn't care. I went to the County Squire a couple days later and bought my first proper cigar. I don't remember what it was but I loved it.
  • Options
    johnscsjohnscs Newcomer
    I was curious at a very early age. By early adolescence, I was more than curious - I was determined to sample a pipe or cigar at the first opportunity. I first tried mild tip cigars (Tiparillos, Muriel Air Tips, Middletons) when I was 14 or so. 

I think I enjoyed the slight thrill of smoking a little cigar while a teenager more than I liked the smoking experience itself. I was sure there had to be something more to cigars and pipes than what I was getting from the occasional Tiparillo or Middleton. The pipe and cigar smokers I knew (grandpa, occasionally my dad, a few family friends) smoked for the pleasure of it, not at all because of an addiction. I got very interested in trying a pipe. I had always loved the scent of pipe smoke and figured the taste should be pretty good, too. 

First pipe I smoked was my dad's; first tobacco was Sir Walter Raleigh. I was 14. I didn't take to it right off, partly due to the condition of the pipe. I cleaned the pipe really well afterward and kept at it until I could smoke a whole bowl without letting it go out. I returned the pipe, so nobody knew. ;-)  I liked it enough to get my own pipe (bought it on the pretense of buying a gift - partly true, as the gift was for me). 

I loved breaking in that pipe and smoking different tobaccos in it (Amphora, Borkum Riff, CB). It was a challenge to smoke a bowl without somebody finding out, but I liked it too much to hold off until I got older. I somehow managed to smoke pipes through my high school years without getting caught. A friend of mine got into pipes. His dad was okay with it, so I could smoke a bowl or two when we'd hang out at his house. My first term in college, I smoked whenever I wanted, so I quit hiding it. It turned out to be no big deal when I smoked my pipe in front of my family. 
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    23. A guy I can hardly remember.
  • Options
    My first pipe was at age 15.  It was my dad's pipe.  My mom had a fit but my dad was fine with it.  Found out in later years that he was about the same age when he first smoke a pipe.  Bought my first Dr. Grabow when I was 17. 

Smoked my first cigar at age 18.  Not sure if it was a Phillies or an El Producto as both were quite popular in my neighborhood.  Never got sick on either pipe or cigar  but of course, got teased a lot since cigarettes were the "cool" thing at the time and pipes and cigars were something that "old men" smoked.  Those old men smoked since they were young and new a good thing when they saw it!

Smoked cigarettes when I was in the Marines and continued for twenty five years before switching back to cigars and pipes.
  • Options
    18, when I went off to college. My folks did not smoke.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    My grandfather didn't want me to start smoking cigarettes, so he gave me a few of his pipes when I was 16. No one seemed to have a problem with it, since back in those days (1960s), almost everyone in my family smoked. I still have a couple of those pipes, although I haven't used them in about 40 years. Perhaps it's time to break one of those out.
  • Options
    Age 18, freshman year of college. I walked into the dorm, saw other guys and their pipes, Q.E.D.
  • Options
    I had a Havatampa Jewel when I was 12, They cost a nickel which was the Deposit you got for a large Coca Cola bottle. I started smoking a pipe with parental permission at 15.
  • Options
    16 here....junior year in high school. Medico pipe and Cherry Blend. Started adding cigars to my lifestyle by 18 and when I went into the Navy Ciggs joined in the race. I smoked Ciggs for over 10 years and one night just decided to quit cold turkey and never looked back as I devoted my tobacco passion to my Cigars and Pipes. I think I might be in another formulative stage here as I have not touched my collection of premium cigars in over 2 or 3 months.They are however in a very protected and in a comfortable climate.
  • Options
    19 for pipe and cigars aboard ship. Never smoked cigarettes
  • Options

I had my first pipe at the age of 10, when my family went on vacation in Gatlinburg during the summer. I was supposed to be a ceremonial calumet, intended for display purposes only, but I only had to admire it so many times, before I had to christen her.

I had my first premium cigar at the age of 21. I purchased it from a small tobacco shop in our local mall, called Tobacco Road. It was a Punch Maduro Churchill if I remember correctly.

• Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    A cheap cigar in my teen years. Then started smoking cigarettes when I was 20, my soon to be wife said she would dump me if I smoked, so I stopped. We have been married 22 years and the last year I started smoking cigars. This past Christmas she gave me my first pipe. Now I smoke both pipes and cigars a few times a week.