Home General
Options

Be Honest ... Burn Any Holes In The Furniture While Pipe Smoking?

I feel like a real horse's ass. I normally smoke outdoors or in the garage because my wife has respiratory problems, so since I enjoy her company even better than my pipe, I refrain from smoking indoors - especially when she's around. But when the weather got pretty frigid we came to a compromise that once she went to sleep - and our bedroom is clear on the other side of the house - I'd smoke a late night bowl in the family room. It seemed to work out fine. I'd follow-up the smoke by spraying the room afterward with some scented aerosol air fresheners and spritz a little Fabreeze fabric spray on the furniture and drapes to make sure no lingering after-stench could be detected. She reassured me that she didn't detect any trace evidence of my smoking in the air the following morning - nor did the smoke ever reach that part of the house where she was sleeping. So all was right with the world. 

Which all leads up to 'The Case Of The Fallen Ember'. That little pinhole burn in a couch cushion which occurred at some point during my last smoke. She spotted it before I did even though it was no larger than a pencil point. Yet there it was! A noticeable pinprick of white in contrast to the dark brown suede couch. Happily she wasn't as hard on me as I was myself, and was more concerned with my safety than my carless stupidly. And thankfully she possessed the knowledge to repair and conceal it with minimal effort. So it goes without saying that I sure am glad Spring is right around the corner so I don't accidentally repeat something like that again.

Just wondering how many others have managed to pepper their recliner or sofa cushions with scars from a runaway ember?      

Comments

• Options
    No furniture because I am banished to the garage or the wild outdoors. But so far just this winter I have burned multiple holes in a fleece like light blue jacket, and I have one hole in one of my dark blue USN sweatshirts. So when the weather turns here finally (and it does here in NJ almost in a single day), I will be burning holes in tee shirts and shorts, at least they are less expensive than the jacket or the sweatshirt.
  • Options
    Never happened, because
    1) SWMBO won't allow me to smoke in the house.
    2) We're still married, 48 years.
  • Options
    I've burned holes into my computer chair, a tablecloth, and an old shirt, but nothing important thankfully. The coats I wear shrug off burning tobacco, and I wear fishing vests in summer to protect my shirts.
  • Options
    Car seat while driving,  one of my jackets, pair of pants(Along with me).
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    So far no furniture just a small hole in a old flannel that I use for a smoking jacket and a shirt. The majority of my musing is in the garage as well.
  • Options
    Just holes in my t-shirts. My wife is considering a "3-hole" rule where if she spots one of my t-shirts with 3 holes in hit she will throw it in the trash.
  • Options
    No holes in the furniture.  I smoke in my house without issue.  My wife is fine with it since she is non-existent.  I usually wear a smoking jacket and I have a throw blanket over my chair which mot only keeps it clean but in the event of dropping a hot ash, it won't ruin my chair.  Accidents do happen and I suppose I am due but to date, I have been careful and very lucky.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Ever see a pipe do a triple somersault out of your mouth when an ember dropped into "the crotch location" while driving? Nothing can prepare you for that.
  • Options
    Furniture?  no.  Fleece pullover? Pants?  Yes and yes.  Like many others, I wear old clothes when I smoke and while I smoke indoors if i can ventilate the house because the outside temperature is high enough, I will switch to my garage as soon as I possible can thereby avoiding any furniture related disasters.
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    So many holes in shirts I might need to go shopping!

• Options

My Son dropped the lit end of a cigarette without knowing it, I came home to find the frame of my favorite chair sitting out on the patio.

• Options
    I've burned holes in shirts, I wear my vest during the summer to protect them.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I too must smoke outside. Burned a hole in my first shirt last week. I was thinking it was just a rookie mistake. Thankfully, after reading this post, it sounds like it happens to all of us.
  • Options
    I've done more damage to my clothes when smoking a pipe while reading a book. Usually I'll have a pipe in my mouth and a beverage nearby as I read. Somewhere in the act of either turning the page or reaching for my beverage I knock the damn pipe pout of my mouth and into my lap. Ashes and embers scatter everywhere and I inevitably end up with a hole burned somewhere on my shirt. And if I'm really unlucky - a small pinhole in my jeans and a burn on Mr. Winkie.