Home General
Options

Remember S&H Green Stamps - Vintage Ads Offering Pipes & Humidors

Not too long ago my wife and I were digging through some old boxes in the garage and we came upon a few books of S&H Green Stamps we still had. Doubt if they're any good today ... and we didn't have enough to fret over - but it got us thinking about the days when we'd collect them and redeem them for all sorts of things for the house. Then today while piddling around on the computer I thought about searching the internet for possible photos of old S&H Redemption Catalogs to refresh my memory on what they offered. And what do you think I found? First a reproduction of a 1915 vintage ad - and off in the top right corner you'll notice something resembling a Peterson Pipe as a possible item for redemption. And then I found what appears to be an ad from the 50s' or 60s' offering even more pipes as well as a humidor. Pretty cool memory.

1915 S&H Green stamp redemption book - with pipe
1956 S&H Green Stamp Catalog3

Comments

• Options
    Looks like Kaywoodie pipes were going for 1 1/2 book of stamps. Wonder how many of the old timers here have a Kaywoodie pipe which might have been as a result of a book and a half of S&H Green Stamps? 
  • Options
    TeCarpTeCarp Apprentice
    I got my first humidor with S&H Green Stamps, a a square box with an Aztec clay humidifier in the lid and space for six pipes along the sides.   At the time, I thought I'd never need another humidor/pipe rack.  Boy, was I wrong!
  • Options

Man, I would love to have the pipe and the roller skates, but now I have to worry about breaking a hip, due to my calcium deficiency, due to my acid reflux meds.

There were also some yellow stamps called "Top Value," that worked similar to the S&H Green Stamps. My maternal grandfather was a good natured frugal curmudgeon, who spent countless hours plotting what he would acquire for "free," using his yellow and green stamps. He was never satisfied to acquire mediocre items. He always wanted to hold out for something of above average value, like an electric push mower, or electric ice cream machine. I remember we were all amazed to see home made ice cream being made, with none of us having to take turns turning the crank. Looking back on it now, the turning of the crank had some level of romance about it.

Here are some pics of the Top Value stamps and "Saver Books," I found on the net.

408195440_cb3ac9c51c_z

acedef54af014b5623f810e145abf043
  • Options
    Yeah, Top Value stamps. My mother collected them in the early 1950' if I'm reckoning correctly. As I recall, she redeemed books of stamps for radios and small appliances.