Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Experience with aged tobacco

I started smoking a pipe about two months ago. As a new pipe smoker I came across a lot of talk about aged pipe tobacco being better while doing my research. It wasn't until recently that I got to experience the change aging makes first hand. The first tobacco I bought on my journey was a couple ounces of bulk Mac Baren Virginia No. 1. It was dry as a bone, it had to remarkable smell, bit like a rabid dog and  an overall bad experience.  Part of this was due to me smoking too fast and my inexperience with the pipe.

I recently  purchased tin of the same tobacco that was manufactured in December of 2015. I know that's not a huge amount time to age tobacco but the difference was extraordinary. I opened the tin and the aroma was similar to fermenting apples. It reminded me of drinking a good cider. When I smoked it the flavor was much richer. A nice bright flavor with hints of vanilla and cream. The bite was still there but not as much. I still need to slow down. 

I have since bought more, different aged tobaccos off the secondary market. I'll start a cellar before long but right now I'm enjoying the different tobaccos. What aged tobacco opened your eyes to the benefits of aging? How old is your oldest tobacco? Mine's a Villiger 1888 After Dinner manufactured in 2011. 

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer

My main problem is that I can't seem to leave any tobacco alone once I get it in my grubby little paws.  I've got some HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed on its way that Saintbubbles suggested I age which I will try to but I know me... the moment I get it and if I like it, I'll starting puffing away. 

• Options

I didn't cellar much till 7 years ago, I do open the aro's after 3 years but, I don't smoke them all at once, It may take me 2 years to finish off a particular pound. I keep track of my favorites and I smoked 2 1/2 ponds of McClelland's 5110 Dark English and 2 pounds of BCA that I blend with as well as smoke straight.

• Options
    Sorry, cut previous message short, The McC and BCA were smoked in 1 year, I had a Pound of Light English that I have 1/2 ounce left that took me 3 years to use up.
  • Options
    I started small - I would buy two tins,one to smoke now,one to age. That has worked well. If I smoked unaged Virginia blends now,ti is because they are new to me.