Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Mac Baren - HH Old Dark Fired (flake) vs HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed

Greetings, as the title suggests, I would like to know your opinion(s) about which HH Old Dark Fired is your preferred tobacco and why.  I have 8oz of the Ready Rubbed on order and I am beginning to second guess myself on whether I ordered the right one.  (I tend to dive right in a little too soon rather than sample a little before I order a lot.)  - Regards, Matthew

Comments

• Options
    I haven't had the ready rubbed but do have a tin of the flakes and really enjoy them. I have been smoking flakes more in general lately and am becoming partial to them. I find them to be more flavorful.
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    @saintbubbles, thank you for the input!  I'm still relatively new to pipe smoking and I am enjoying it IMMENSELY! 
    I imagine there might be some flavor lost when the flakes are rubbed out? Do you smoke them in a particular pipe (or pipe shape)? 
  • Options
    @serentil I'm new also so take this for what it's worth. I've read that flakes work best in pipes with smaller bowls. I have a couple medium sized cobs I use and the ODF smokes great in them. I have a Rossi Rubino billiard I also use. It gets a little hot but that could be me smoking too fast but I like smoking the ODF in it also.

As far as flake versus ready rubbed and flavor loss I only have experience with Pete Stokkeby Luxury Bullseye Flake. I bought an ounce of the coins and it was fantastic. I use the fold and stuff method when packing my pipe with it. The flavor changes as it hits the Virginia, Peirque and black Cavendish. I bought some already rubbed out from someone online. While it's still good I don't find myself reaching for it as much as did the coins. 

All that being said I wouldn't worry too much about ordering the ready rubbed. I'm sure it will still be great. Throw a few ounces of it in some mason jars and let it sit for a few years. You won't be disappointed. Mine is four years old.
  • Options

I wouldn't say that one is necessarily better than the other, but they are definitely different. In most cases, you will notice that a 1 to 1 ratio wider bowled pipe will deliver a richer, or more pronounced complex flavor than a 2 or 3 to one rectangular shaped bowl that is taller than it is wide. However, this is not always the case. Not until you have experimented with both blends in different pipes with varying geometries, will you know which you prefer in which pipe.

Think of the 2 different offerings, as giving you more options in your smoking methods.

At this point, I would think the next order of business would be to order 8oz of the flake, and let the experimenting begin. :^)

• Options
    I found this video and thought you would find it interesting.

• Options
    I've always Shredded and Rubbed my flakes. when I do the coins/rounds I peel off and the outside and rub it out then break up the centers to mix in. In IMHO I think it smokes better, but that's me.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input.  Two more days and it should arrive. 
  • Options
    Be sure to let us know what you think.
  • Options
    @saintbubbles, oh my, oh my... that is some GOOOOOD tobacco! Very very pleased!!! Unfortunately it is also competing with the other tobaccos I ordered. McClelland - 5110 Dark English Full, Dunhill Nightcap and Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Sweet Whiskey Twist.  Got a great rotation now.  Going  to part out a few ounces of the HHODFRR and let it age a bit at your suggestion. Can't wait to try it in a few years!
  • Options
    @serentil That's a good looking list. Solid rotation that will keep things interesting for you for a bit. I'm glad you enjoy the HHODFRR. It really is good tobacco.
  • Options
    @saintbubbles,  I am REALLY diggin' the HHODFRR!!! I'm going through the first 8oz pretty quick. Going to get 16oz on next order and cellar at least 8-10oz of it. I knew that if I really liked it, the chances of me smoking it all without cellaring any of it would be pretty high!

I'm looking at the other post you made about Dark Fired Kentucky... trying to decide what to get next. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    @SERENTIL I'm glad you are enjoying it. It really is good tobacco. Get a tin of GL Pease JackKnife Plug. I'm enjoying it as I type. Really good. Preparation of the of the plug takes a little getting used to but the flavor is amazing. Probably a little stronger than the HHODFRR, Another one I recommend is Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake. It's red virginia based with dark fired blended in as well. It's got a sweet, spicy flavor that I like. I'm about to buy 200 grams of it. Different than the HHODFRR but still very good.
  • Options
    @saintbubbles, have you tried the HH Bold Kentucky? 
  • Options