Home Ask an Expert
Options

How do you clean/refurbish an used/estate pipe?

Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
edited March 2017 in Ask an Expert
I just bought two used pipes at an antique store. I was wondering is there a difference between an used pipe and an estate pipe. Also, how do you go about cleaning and refurbishing an used/estate pipe?

Comments

• Options
    I think an Estate Pipe is just a glorified word for a used pipe someone restored. And once you restore it you can turn around and call it an Estate Pipe. Sounds much classier than simply calling it a used pipe.  
  • Options

There are smoked as well as unsmoked estate pipes, which in my mind, would mean the definition to be previously owned, but not necessarily smoked.

Just about everything you ever wanted to know about restoring a pipe, can be found at the rebornpipes blog. It is amazing how an old pipe in decent condition, can be brought back to almost like new condition, using the correct techniques.

https://rebornpipes.com/

• Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I agree used and estate have the same meaning in my opinion. The only difference would be smoked or not smoked estates like @xdutchx stated. RebornPipes is a great thread to follow if you want to do it yourself (DIY), there are also pipe makers/repairmen who would clean refurbish your pipes if you would like cost can vary with person between $20 each up to $50 each plus shipping of course. It depends on personal preference some like to DIY and others don't want to get that far into purchasing the resources. I have personally used Tim West for some of my refurbishes and I have also sent pipes to Dave Neeb they both do a great job.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Words seem to be failing us here. One only uses a pipe by smoking it. If you haven't smoked it, then you haven't used it. An unsmoked estate pipe is not really a used pipe at all. In fact, one might easily argue that it's a new pipe.
  • Options
    I reamed and cleaned using 91% rubbing alcohol and then filled bowls with black rum, allowed them to sit for a day and then emptied and air dried for a couple of days. It worked 100% on one eBay estate/used pipe and not so well on the other, which apparently had been used for smoking Lat bombs. They're both beautiful pipes, one an apple with a flat saddle bit, and the other a large billiard; both cost under $20.00 each including the shipping.  
  • Options
    @hiker007 - If it's a briar pipe: Ream the bowl carefully. Remove the stem and plug the stummel (the part the stem goes into.) Sit the bowl into a bowl or container of uncooked rice so that it will balance well and not tip over. Fill the bowl with rock salt and slowly add 190 proof grain alcohol to the rock salt using a eye dropper. It's important not to get the alcohol on the outside of the bowl because it will damage the finish. Let the bowls site for at least 24 hours. Dump the rock salt which should be pretty brown by now, rinse the pipe good using tap water - it won't hurt the briar - and let air dry for 24 hours. Sniff the bowl and see how it smells. If it doesn't smell bad, you are good. If it still smells bad, either repeat the rock salt/alcohol treatment or pack with damp coffee grounds (non-flavored) and let sit for another 24 hours. Rinse, dry and see how it smells.

I clean the stems by dipping pipe cleaners in 190 proof and running them from the bit down and letting them sit for a few minutes before working the cleaner back and forth. You do this enough times and the gunk should loosen up and eventually your pipe cleaner will not change colors. You can sterilize the outside of the stem and bit with a cotton ball soaked in grain alcohol also.

If the stem is badly oxidized, that's a different process. I use a buffing compound on a buffing wheel and then polishing it until it shines.
  • Options
    Sometimes there is a gap in the shank between the end of the stem and the bowl. Pipe cleaners are too narrow to reach it. To remove after the Salt Alcohol treatment which softens it I use the 1/4" wooden stirrers available at some Starbucks cut square at the end pushed into the end of the stem bore and rotated to scrape it out. Scrape, remove, clean and repeat until gone. To test if the buildup is there push the rounded end in, rotate and pull out to see if it's there.
  • Options
    I'm with PappyJoe. Salt and alcohol, tons of pipe cleaners, PATIENCE, a pipes bush to scour, reamer very carefully. And continue and repeat until satisfied. Each to their own on satisfaction. On and estate/used pipes I usually don't mess with the outside much as each pipe has their own story to tell. I will rub it down well with olive oil or a pipe wipe but that's it. In my opinion , make it safe and smoke-able and move on.
  • Options

A Sears & Roebuck ‘Yorkshire Standard’ Sculpted Pot Comes Back to Life

Many graphics……
  • Options
    You all are better men than I am...I pay someone else to do it. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    I have issues.  I don’t trust anyone to do a satisfactory job of refurbishing most of the time, and I enjoy the challenges that sometimes come with refurbishing an estate pipe.
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited November 2021
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I can understand that. I tried refurbishing a pipe once, ended up splitting the mortise. In my construction days I did drywall and had a side business building decks and porch post and rail systems...if you can't beat it with a hammer, I pay someone else to do it  :D
  • Options
    I remember the first time a contractor explained to me about "French screwdrivers".....
  • Options
    Ok @motie2
    I’ll bite, you have a sucker on the line.  I need to learn something new today….worthwhile or not🙂
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    @vtgrad2003
    I use a ballpeen quite often, usually a big one.  Not generally on pipes though….well tobacco pipes anyway😬
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    French screwdriver: a hammer, used to set screws about half way
  • Options
    @motie2
    Ok, yep, done that, had not heard that term for it though, but hey, I’m not a carpenter.