Home General
Options

Where do you buy your supplies? Ratings?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Friends, I just received email from EA Carey that may well be of interest to all of you. Carey has around 30 different blends, English and aromatics, for sale and now they're offering their tobaccos in 1 oz. sample sizes, to wit:

<<Have you thought on occasion that you would like to try a new tobacco blend, but didn't want to buy 2 oz of tobacco only to find out you don’t like it. Now you can sample any of our tobacco blends for as little as $2.49 each. 

The tobacco samplers contain up to an ounce of tobacco, just enough to fill a standard pipe a few times, depending on the bowl size of your favorite pipe. It's the perfect amount of tobacco to determine whether or not it fits your taste. 

The tobaccos available are ranked based on our past pipe smokers' purchases so you can start at the top with the most popular and work your way down. We hope you enjoy our new pipe smoking experience.

To purchase any of the EA Carey Pipe Tobacco Sample Cups for only $2.95 each or 3/$7.95 or 6/14.95, please click on the link below: 

I hope this post isn't too shill-like for the discussion, but I think it's an outstanding idea. I'm gonna buy a bunch.
  • Options
    AProtoAProto Newcomer
    P & C or Boswell's.  I like Boswell's because it's a family business and really nice folks.
  • Options
    My info is still showing with CI and they still haven't tried to contact me, going to call them tomorrow but after that I will just let it go and see when they finally try to do or say something, they can't get the money from that card so no big deal now, just done with them unless they do something to make up for all the problems they have given me this time and the other two times.
  • Options

I get most of my supplies and recently, several pipes from Laudisi Enterprises, Inc. in Little River, SC. They are Smokingpipes.com. They are Very Good!  I don't think I've ever dealt with anyone who is as good as they are!  I was in Marketing and Customer Service for almost 20 years @ GE!  I know what good customer service is and they are excellent! Beyond reproach in all areas! That is why I keep going back!  I would recommend them highly! Pull up Smokingpipes.com!

Tuxedo007

• Options
    Usually I get from P&C. As some others said, smoking pipes sometimes has better prices. But i haven't found it to be that significant, and since I'm partial to Hearth&Home i've always decided it was worth whatever difference, which i haven't found to be much. I think also SP might be cheaper the more you start buying in high volume bulks, i'm still trying a wide variety so i usually buy in tins or single oz portions. Of course, there are times a specific Cornell & Diehl blend i want to try, P&C doesn't have that as much as SP does (i've heard but i'm not sure that smokingpipes is owned by or has some sort of relationship with C&D). Unfortunatly i do not live near a B&M or i would love to get from them. when i lived in wyoming there was a B&M an hour and a half from me and once and a while i would stop in, but their selection of tobaccos was abysmal and their prices sky-high. not to mention the guy that worked there didn't seem too enthusiastic about pipes; i think he was partila to cigars as all i ever saw him doing was chatting with his buddies and smoking  cigars. i wouldn't mind as much i guess if i were one of the buddies but i just didn't have the ability to come by that often!
  • Options
    PyratePyrate Enthusiast
    Most of my purchases are made online. The "local" B&M is 50 miles from home and the hours are inconvenient for my schedule. On the odd occasion when I can get there the owner and staff are very helpful. But, for the impact on the finances, the prices online are more appropriate for my household.
  • Options
    GlfjunkeGlfjunke Newcomer
    I too received a $20 gift card,but since my iPad could not connect to my account at that time I called. Being retired allowed me the 30 minutes to wait for an answer
  • Options
    GlfjunkeGlfjunke Newcomer
    Just spent 20 minutes explaining about my positive experience with P&C and only 2 sentences got posted. That's depressing. Out
  • Options
    Still like P&C even with the recent snafu which still hasn't been straightened out, Smoking Pipes, 4Noggins and EA Carey. Peterson Pipes has been very generous with their time and expertise. PipeChat has been a fountain of knowledge for me.
  • Options
    I Check out Payless Pipes every now and then. They are a small on-line company but occasionally has some good sales.
  • Options
    Decided to give Vermont freehand a try for some bulk acrylic pipe stems. Comes in a bundle of 10, and they are all shaped and drilled, but not necessarily polished.
    All have very large tenons, and all are straight, which is good. I will be able to turn them to fit. 
    Total including tax was $30.40. That's $3.40 per stem!
    I will happily do a little lathe time for an acrylic stem that only costs me a little over 3 bucks.
    By the way, colors, lengths and shapes are random. But if you have a lathe, most of them can be modified to suit your stummels...

• Options
    @KA9FFJ
    So, you did get a lathe?
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 2023
    @RockyMountainBriar
      I inherited a little WEN. Been messing with it for about 4 weeks now. 
    Not really a lathe to brag about, but it is opening up a bigger world of possibilities with my pipe work.
    That one pipe stem I resized and reshaped on the "Pipe Refinishing" thread was my first attempt at using it for pipe work.
    I have since bought a drill chuck for the tail stock so we'll see where I go from here... 🤞🏻
  • Options
    $3 a stem is cheap! Nice snag!
  • Options
    Besides Steve Norse (Vermont Freehand) there is an outfit in Florida called RNA Treasures that has a lot of different stems for sale cheap, they also have tons of  vintage stummels in various stages of completion Cheap.

• Options
    Awesome @mapletop
    Tnx for the info. Much appreciated...