Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Is Variety Really the Spice of Life?

Some pipe smokers seem to be bound an determined to try and like (at least in some way) every type of tobacco blend there is. They like to get into the minutae of taste and nicotine content as if they were wine tasters working for the local Trader Joe's. One day they are smoking an English blend, the next day an aromatic, the third day a Virginia and the fourth day a burley, the fifth a drugstore blend.
Frankly, it confuses me a bit. Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm unsophisticated, but it seems that the whole exercise is is an exercise in confusion.
Being a daily smoker I prefer the familiar on a daily basis. I prefer burley blends and give myself English blends as a treat. One could say that it is like the drinking of wine in Italy --- red table wine six days a week with a vintage on Sunday.
And within the burley blends I've found a lot of variety that the tobacco hopper does not in his jumping from this and that type of pipe tobacco. SWR, Prince Albert, Granger, Carter Hall and Half and Half all have their individual charms despite the fact that they are all burley based blends. And this is just to write of the less expensive burley based tobaccos.
I think that tastes in tobacco are a bit like tastes in cars. Some people just like cars. Any type of car and every type of car. Or so they say. Others like particular types of cars -- roadsters, SUVs, sedans, etc. And still others like particular marques. Each type is not uneducated about cars and each type is knowlegable in his or her own way. But the guy (or gal) whose interest is in Chevy Nomads is finds interest in every nut and bolt of that type of shinney-can than is the guy (or gal) who is interested in all General Motors products.
We all have out interests and we all get a bit microscopic, in a sense. And while the narrowness of interest can get a bit obsessive at times, the scattershot approach really comes down to a "good, better, best" knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    I think the abundance of tobacco types has expanded to the point that it is highly improbable that anyone can try them all if they could afford to. Back when I started smoking I tried maybe 12 types of tobacco before I found the one I loved which I smoked exclusively till we adopted the Kids, 20 years later I went to the basement and found my pipes. My favorite blend was gone so I began my quest again. What a selection, I started out with Aro's over 20 types and I wasn't pleased, I found Frog Morton and that started me on the road again. Good Hunting. 
  • Options

I'd have to say this whole thing of variety, cellaring, and trying to convince myself to acquire a taste for something that I initially detested the second I put a match to the tobacco started once I accidently happened upon the YouTube Presenter 'Cutlerylover' and discovered to my amazement that pipe smoking was now considered a hobby as opposed to how I'd been approaching it for years ... "just smoking a pipe". Before you know it I discovered an entire YouTube Pipe Smoking Community as well as on-line forums like The Pipeline - and that's when it really kicked into gear. I wanted in ... and did it in a big way.

And the first time I received a Pipes & Cigars Catalog ... well that set the wheels in motion on a run-away train that has become a borderline obsessive hoarding addiction. And fueling the addiction was that damn FDA Deeming Regulation which reared it's ugly head around at the time I entered the hobby. Triggering the panic buying and hoarding which put a good sized dent in my bankroll. I've acquired an extensive cellar of over 55 blends - anywhere from 4 oz. to several pounds depending upon the blend. I'm sure many of you have amassed a total far greater than that over the course of years, but I did it in under a year. And that's quite a bit of cash to lay out for a guy living on a fixed income of a moderate steel mill pension and Social Security check. I got stupid real fast.

Recently my self-realization has played out for all to see in the guise of several cellaring discussions I've posted. Playing Devil's Advocate while being on both sides of the fence myself. The Pipeline is as much a sounding board as a learning lesson, providing an opportunity to be both patient on the couch seeking answers as well as the psychiatrist scribbling notes giving advice.  

That run-away train has finally crashed head-long into the station, and any 'variety - or spice of life'' I'm seeking will be restricted to aromatic blends, many of which are in unopened tins in my cellar - already paid for. My experimentation with non-aromatic and English is over. And while my adventure in pipe smoking will definitely continue, I've just narrowed it down a bit more.   

• Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I began smoking a pipe in 1965. I tried a number of different blends during the early years, but by the beginning of the 1970s had settled into a beautiful long term relationship with Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Having found a tobacco that had the combined virtues of being both enjoyable and readily available, I found it unnecessary to look any further. It's only been in the last couple of years that I have again been trying some different blends. This recent development is a direct result of having been given a P&C catalog and having joined this forum.

While it's fun to sample some of the wide range of tobaccos on the market, I can't say that I'm a fan of change for change sake. Many years of experience has led me to believe that variety is often highly overrated.

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I am happy to be over the hunt and enjoy being a one trick pony.
  • Options
    There are so many fantastic tobaccos available, we truly are living during the golden age of pipe smoking. I can't help but observe, that the reason I have the current favorites in my cellar, is because I have a wandering eye. Great for pipe smoking, bad for marriage.
  • Options
    After all my experiments by either mixing existing blends or trying to create some Frankenstein blend of my own with assorted flavor concentrates and liquor I come to the realization - stick with the professionals. I've screwed-up more great blends by trying to improve on them by mixing blends that detracted from the flavor rather than enhanced it. If you want variety in your tobacco products ... get it from a professional. If you want to play mad scientist shovel up a dead raccoon from the side of the road and plug it into a car battery.    
  • Options
    I like having a variety of tobaccos to smoke. I don't feel that I have to try everything - I've been doing this long enough to know,for example, that I don't really care for sweet latakia blends. There's no right or wrong way to do this. If you are happy smoking CH all day long - go for it. That wouldn't work for me, but that's OK, too.
  • Options
    I have a variety of tobacco blends as well. Some of it are blends I've read good reviews about and will eventually try. I even have two private blends I've developed with Jon David Cole at the Country Squire. I smoke whatever the mood hits me.