Home The Lounge
Options

New in the Lounge: Accessories for Newbies

One of the most frequently asked questions from new pipe smokers is "What do I need other than a pipe and some tobacco?" Here's a starter guide: https://thispipelife.com/tpl-article/26/

Comments

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    As a collector of pipe and cigar stuff I've gotta say the three way tool and pipe rest that Lane Ltd has been handing out at the pipe shows is a great start for a noob!
  • Options
    http://www.alpascia.com/moments/d/Tips-for-new-pipe-smokers-i22386.html

Tips for new pipe smokers

Pipe: The important thing is to start 

[lightly edit for length]

Things you need

Obviously a pipe. Buy a good, simple model, but not too expensive. One example is the classic “straight pipe” which is easier to use for a first-timer. You’ll find out with practice what you like or don’t as regards practical aspects or taste.

Tips for new pipe smokers - Alpascia

The second essential thing you’ll need is tobacco

The third thing is a pipe tamper

The fourth thing is something to light up your pipe with, preferably a match or else a gas lighter.

The fifth thing is a pipe cleaner.

Lastly, a small pouch or bag to keep everything together is quite handy.

Packing the pipe

Take a small wad of tobacco and fill the bottom part of the bowl, not too tightly, then repeat this twice, until the bowl is full.  Here, it’s important to remember not too pack the tobacco too tightly, or too loosely, using the pipe tamper. The second and third wad should be compressed slightly more than the bottom wad.  How you pack the tobacco in the bowl is important, because if there is not enough air flowing through the tobacco then it will not burn well and be hard to draw on, just like a chimney. When you puff on the pipe you will see at once if it is too tightly packed. Draw on the pipe while you are filling it as this way you will see if air is passing through or not. [edit] Fill the bowl so that there is a little space between the tobacco and the rim of the bowl and the tobacco is level.  

Lighting your pipe

When the flame is moved over the surface of the pipe while you are puffing on it, the flame will be drawn into the tobacco.  Using a match or lighter is the same, although a lighter has a stronger flame. Move the flame in a circular motion on the surface of the tobacco so as to light it all up while taking a series of gentle puffs. The tobacco must be entirely lit up and when it is it starts to swell. Now use the tamper to tamp the tobacco gently over the whole surface so that the flame goes out, and then relight it. If the tobacco swells again, repeat the process, and relight. 

Smoking

Take a few slow gentle puffs regularly. In this way you will enjoy the tobacco’s aroma and avoid letting the pipe go out.  The pipe bowl and smoke may get too hot if you puff too often. In that case let the pipe go out and leave it to rest a little. If the pipe starts “gurgling”, it means that there’s too much moisture in the pipe bowl or stem (shank) which needs to be removed. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem, remove it and continue smoking. Do not smoke the tobacco right to the end, as the little unburnt tobacco left is too moist and full of nicotine.

After smoking

Now you need to clean your pipe. Make sure your pipe is cool first. Here again you need the tamper tool, using the reamer and small spoon to empty the bowl thoroughly. Once you have emptied the bowl run a pipe cleaner first through the stem and then bend the cleaner to clean the bowl. Finish by blowing through the stem to dislodge any residue.  

Breaking in a new pipe

....as time goes by a thin layer of carbon (called “cake”) gradually forms on the internal walls of the bowl, which protects the pipe from damage and excessive heat, absorbs moisture and provides a smoother smoke. The breaking in takes place as soon as you start smoking the pipe and a cake is formed.

Occasionally you can find pipes that are sold already broken in with a cake artificially applied on the internal walls of the bowl. Otherwise this process is up to the smoker, which usually takes a few weeks, depending on the frequency of smoking. When you first start smoking a pipe, be careful as the pipe tends to heat up quickly, as it is not yet protected by the cake of carbon. 

Al Pascià

• Options
    As a new pipe smoker (only months into the thing) I found it surprising how quickly I am moving from a cob and a few samples of tobacco to a smoking room with english fireplace, bear skin rug, full library and a walk in closet for pipes and tobaccos. Thanks for spurring the flame with these great articles, always learning and taking notes! Now, I gotta call my real estate agent.