Home General
Options

How Long Do You Keep Your Tobacco In A Leather Pouch?

This is mainly for the retired smoker who spends more time at home than away.    

It's common practice to transfer your tobacco into a Mason Jar to preserve freshness a week or two after opening a tin, but for those of us who fill a fold-up or zippered tobacco pouch for occasionally use when you're away from home, how long do you keep the tobacco in the pouch before swapping it out for fresh batch? It's been my experience that tobacco get dry pretty quick when stored in a zippered pouch for any length of time. Even as little as a week or so. And being retired, the majority of my smoking occurs at home. So with easy access to my entire cellar I'm always grabbing for a different jar of tobacco for each new smoke. I seldom smoke the same blend twice in a day. But like everyone else, I enjoy taking my pipe with me when out and about and enjoy smoking a bowl when the mood strikes me and the opportunity is right. But since those times are few and far between I tend to fill the pouch and set it aside on a shelf next to my wallet and only pick it up when I leave the house. Which could be days or a week later, depending on the weather and time of year. And half the time the tobacco in the pouch is almost too dry for a good smoke. I don't like wasting tobacco so when I get home I usually end up dumping the contents into a jar of hodge-podge of blends to be rehydrated at a later date ... and re-fill the pouch. 

For those of you who have a zippered pouch, do you use it in a similar manner as me - fill it and forget it until you hit the open road - or is it something you carry on your person for use throughout the day? Only smoking that one blend in the pouch the entire day? And if not, do you have any special storage method to insure the tobacco in your pouch remains fresh for that time when you grab your car keys, wallet, pipe, lighter, and tobacco pouch and hit the open road?   

tobacco pouch 2

Comments

• Options
    I use a Baccyflap when on the go. I simply dry my tobacco before I leave home, and when I return, I dump any leftover tobacco back into it's original container.
  • Options
    I usually fill a roll-up pouch with tobacco when I am out and about and tend to smoke it within a week or two.  I have yet to experience the tobacco as being to dry.  Rather, it seems to be just right.  Very rarely will I empty the pouch in to a container.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    When traveling, I carry a leather pouch that holds a pipe, some tobacco, a pipe tool, and a few pipe cleaners. My experience has been that the tobacco will become quite dry if left in the pouch for more than a week or so. I just try to keep this in mind. When I return home, I make a point of smoking the remainder of what's in the pouch before opening anything else.
  • Options
    Keep a moisture tablet in your pouch.
  • Options
    I often use a couple of roll up pouches for short 2 or 3 day trips. I also dump any left over tobacco back in the jars it came from when I return home.
  • Options
    If I'm traveling in my car I keep a wide mouth jar  with 4 or so ounces that I fill  from on the road. If I'm away I put an few pipes full in a zip up pouch. Anytime I have luggage I carry the jar in it. I empty the pouch remains into the jar on return.
  • Options
    I don't keep anything in a leather pouch for more than a day or two.