Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Mason Jar Sizes and Amount of Tobacco Stored

pylornspylorns Apprentice
edited June 2016 in Tobacco Talk
Thought I'd share a little info for those of your storing tobacco:
Sizes:Jelly Jars (4 liquid oz; 125ml)Half Pint (8 Liquid oz;250ml)Pint (16 Liquid oz;475ml)Quart (32 Liquid Oz; 950(1000)ml). There are also wide-mouth jars as well.

Amount of Tobacco:
Jelly Jars (4oz Liquid) — I've found that these Jars you can usually stuff 1 to 1.5oz of ribbon, course, shag tobacco into them. Just pour to the rim, push down to compress, pour more, compress etc. Seal lid. Different tobaccos have different weight to volume ratios so your results may vary.

Half Pint (8 Liquid oz) — I've found fits 2 to 3 ounces of loose ribbon, course, shag tobacco depending on consistency. [Stokkebye’s Luxury twist flake fits 2.5 oz a jar.] [Esoterica’s Dorchester fits about 2 ounces per jar] [50g tin of Erinmore Flake that fit perfectly into a half-pint, but a 50g tin of Molto Dolce barely fit into a half-pint. ][2oz of Penzance should fit in half-pint]

Pint (16 Liquid oz) — Generally 4-5 oz of loose ribbon, course, shag tobacco. [ 8oz of Mississippi River, which is a crumble cake, into a pint jar no problem, at the same time 6oz of a loose tobacco blend that was nearly overflowing out of the jar. 250g FVF in a pint; 100g Semois in a pint ]

Quart (32 Liquid oz) — Ranges between 8 and 10 oz of ribbon, course, shag tobacco and your results may vary. [ 250g of 1792 flake in a 32oz jar, and it’s a tighter fit. Some of the flakes fell apart, if not for that you could probably stuff in another 1, maybe 2, oz before it got too tight. 250g Dan Tobacco: Blue Note, perfect fit.]

Wide Mouth 8oz(250ml) 1.76 ounces of navy rolls in one with plenty of room, and 2 ounces of bullseye flake in another, also just a bit more than half full. Have a full tin nearly of Dunhill flake in another, fits perfectly, and about 90% of a 2 ounce tin of Pirate Kake in another. So I guess I’d say for really compressed tobacco, they’re the best.

Empty Jar Weights — while this may fluctuate slightly below are weights of jars without tobacco in them.

Jelly: 4.7oz without lid
Half Pint: 6.2 oz without lid
Pint: 8.8 oz without lid
Quart: 15oz without lid

Comments

• Options
    Good information. I have become partial to the squat 4 oz. wide mouth jars made by Ball. They are flat and stack well in my cabinet.
  • Options
    4 and 8 oz jars are my jam (no pun intended, I swear! ;) )

It really just depends on what my goal is, but if it's a tin I want to smoke, I'll jar it in an 8oz for day to day use, or if its something like Penzance, I can split up an 8oz bag into 6 4oz jars for easy cellaring...that way I can take one out here and there and leave the rest aging.
  • Options
    Thanks for this! I always wondered how tight I should fill my jars!
  • Options
    Good info. Thank you. Jam jars are by far the best method of storing long term. I like the wide mouth 1/2 pint for aging in my closet. 
  • Options
    With all the new members - and the recent discussions on tobacco storage and cellaring I thought this informative message on the capacity of Mason Jars for storing tobacco deserves a re-visit.    
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    Thanks for bumping this one back to the top.  Luckily, I eyeballed it correctly and bought the right size jars for my recent bulk tobacco purchases.
  • Options
    Should you leave the tobacco loose or pack tightly in the jar?  Is there a difference between cellaring and aging and how to pack the jar?  To vacuum seal or not? 
  • Options

Thanks so much for compiling this list James, it is very useful for the newbie as well as the seasoned hobbiest.

@jhubb, if you want to age your tobacco, you should leave some air in the top, do not vacuum seal it, and finish by dipping the lid in hot wax after hand tightening. If you don't want any aging to take place, vacuum seal with as little air inside as possible, then dip the lid in hot wax.

Cellaring is just stockpiling tobacco. If you want to learn about the differences in tobacco stored with air in the container, vs. tobacco stored with very little air in the container, google "aerobic vs. anerobic tobacco aging."

• Options
    APCookAPCook Newcomer
    @pappyjoe I use the same jars. As a side tip... from a local hardware store picture hanging section, I purchased the little rubber dots that go on the back of picture frames to prevent wall scratches. I pop 3 of these on the bottom of the jar. It helps them stay a bit more secure when stacking (and they survive the dishwasher).