Home General
Options

Do You Treat Your Cellar As A True Tobacco Aging Cellar Or More Of A Pantry?

The topic of cellaring has become very intriguing to me of late. I've written one post already on the topic of 'The Flawed Logic Of Long Term Cellaring', which has proven to be a very enlightening discussion. And I have another aspect of cellaring in mind for a later time. But for this discussion my question should be pretty cut and dry - even though it may require a little self-reflection when considering the answer.

Is your cellar a true designated storage area for long term tobacco aging or is it more of a convenient out of the way pantry for housing Mason jars of bulk tobacco and tinned tobacco blends to be added to - or subtracted from - as dictated by your daily usage? In short, once the jar or tin you're currently smoking runs out do you simply go to your 'cellar', retrieve any new jar or tin of tobacco from the shelf in much the same way as going to the pantry for a can of soup when you're hungry?  Grab what strikes your fancy and be on your way. Or is your cellar devised in such a way as to have sections sub-divided for commonly used tobacco in one area while another is designated off-limits and restricted to aging tobacco?     

Comments

• Options

As I've been lead to believe cellaring aromatics will not improve them with age. By it's very nature the maturity of an aromatic blend is stunted once heavily cased flavor additives are infused with the tobacco. Plus I imagine the Burly, Virginia, Cavendish-style tobacco that makes up a majority of heavily cased sweet aromatics aren't anywhere near the quality tobacco used in luxury non-aromatic and English blends which actually benefit from the aging process of long term cellaring. Although storing aromatic blends in Mason jars can keep them from drying out and remain relatively fresh, the blends will probably taste exactly the same as the day you jarred them. So with that in mind, I'd have to say I what I describe as 'my cellar' is closer in definition to a cupboard or pantry.    

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I refer to mine as "The Vault". I can only think of a couple of instances when a withdrawal has been made. 
  • Options

Typically, I will smoke the blends that have the most age on them first, while simultaneously adding double that amount of young blends to my cellar. In this way, I am continually growing my cellar. Generally, if I take one out, I put 2 or more in.

Once you get a deep enough cellar, you will always be smoking aged tobacco. I have made exceptions, and popped a tin with only 5 years age on it, simply because it was a new blend that I had never sampled, and I wanted to evaluate whether I should cellar more of that particular blend.

As far as making the cellar off limits, I would like to create a temperature and humidity controlled "vault" as well, complete with biometric retina and palm reader. However, the deeming regulations have shifted my focus to growing my cellar, instead of guarding it. Add to that the reality that pipe values seem to have simultaneously plummeted, since most pipers have shifted their focus to cellaring. This leaves a lot of us, not knowing which way to jump.

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - You may have been led astray and are now walking off the true path by a couple of feet. My understanding is that most aromatics are improved by one or two years of cellaring. The time allows the tobacco to mellow out or meld together and it can change the flavor. An analogy would be the aging of blended whiskey. When initially blended the whiskey has one flavor profile but the longer it sits in the barrels the more the flavor profile changes. 

With aromatics, my opinion is that is only when you leave them in the cellar for say 5 years that the stop improving. And I do believe that you can over age aromatics to a point where it only hints at its past glory. I believe that even good non-aromatics will only age up to a certain point before they to start degrading in quality.

I find you comment about the quality of leaf used in heavily cased aromatics interesting. I would think that this is possible true for the tobacco that is bulk packaged and sole as pipe tobacco but in reality is nothing more than RYO tobacco. I would guess that the better pipe tobacco manufacturers like McClelland, Peterson's, Cornell & Diehl, etc. are using higher quality leaf because they know their sales are based on how much pipe smokers enjoy the quality of their products. 
  • Options
    I have a true cellar, which is most of my tobacco storage, that is intended for long term storage. I withdraw things,and add things.
    I also have a pantry, which is the stuff I have on hand that I am not aging, but just haven't gotten around to smoking yet.
  • Options
    Nice Post, I will make a small comment, as of now I have two old Pipe cabinets, they hold my tobacco as they were meant to do, eventually I would like to build a section in the basement for my pipe tobacco and my cigars but both will have to be controlled and right now I don't have the time, effort or money. 
    I will get back to this post and make a better comment later down the road.
  • Options
    Thanks @PappyJoe I didn't realize that an aromatic can improve with age - but only within a certain two year window before they lose their luster and flavor profile.That's something to keep in mind for aromatic smokers. I guess for me the 'pantry' mentality is the best way to go. Just make sure I keep better track of the dates when I jar tobacco. Up to this point I've simply scribbled on the name of the blend ... but now I see the importance of dating the jar as well since there is something of a timeline that needs to be followed even with an aromatic. I love this place ... you always learn something new and useful.   
  • Options
    I date all my tins when I buy them with the purchase date as some don't have date stamps showing when it was manufactured. When I move the tobacco to mason jars, I print labels with both the date of purchase and the date jarred and cellar. 

I have both what I consider to be a cellar and a pantry. The cellar is a small footlocker type box where I put tobacco I want to age some. The "pantry" is a drawer in one of my filing cabinets where I keep the tobacco I'm going to smoke before going into my cellar. I keep both of them locked to keep my sons from raiding them when the visit. I also keep my good booze locked away. 
  • Options
  • Options
    My tobacco cellar is my pantry, when I received all those mason jars the only place I had to store them was the pantry, I took out what I had on the top shelf and now use it for tobacco.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    Interesting, I also never knew that aromatics will improve with age.
    I do have my "cellar" which I have slowly built with multiple tobaccos and not just stocked up on my favorites. I try to not touch them at all so they can age. I almost got caught once by my wife when I was adding to it and she was looking at how many I had, I was able to convince her she merely had miscounted. I usually do as PappyJoe and date when I purchased the tins, I like the idea of also dating if/when I open the tins and transfer to a mason jar. I guess I have a "pantry" also where I keep my tobaccos that I am constantly cycling through and the majority of these are samples or bulk blends that I have purchased and just put directly in mason jars I haven't dated them or anything. I use these for when my taste changes or want something different from my regular.
    I have gotten some really nice pre-aged tins or out of production tins at pipe shows that helped as well.
  • Options

Here are a couple links to help keep up with the details of your tobacco cellar for anyone who might be interested.

http://www.tobaccocellar.com/

http://thepipetool.com/view/index.php

• Options
    Let me clarify my earlier statement about aromatics aging. While there seems to be a common perception that aromatics do not age, I have never seen anything definitive that states that aromatics absolutely do not change while aging. It has always been my belief that all tobacco go through changes as it sit. Another general consensus is that Virginias tobacco age and greatly improve in 3 to 5 years. Well, if an aromatic contains Virginias, wouldn't it also improve in 3 to 5 years? So the logic would seem to be that if all tobacco change as it is aged, then aromatic blends would also change as it is aged.

Now, the question should be "Are the changes to aromatic blends during blending an improvement or not?" In my mind, that would be a personal opinion. Where I feel the flavors in aromatics meld together more completely, others may feel that the flavors dissipates and become too mild. 

Ponder this question also, "If aromatic tobaccos do not age, why are there discussions every year about Christmas Blends being better after a year or two of aging?" Most Christmas blends are aromatics.
  • Options
    Forgot to post this link that I found interesting.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, Russ Ouellette stated in one of his articles on aging tobacco, that he believes that the humectants and antifungals that are added to aromatic tobaccos, either deter or halt the fermentation process. Also, the high sugar content of Virginia's and some Orientals in non-aromatics, create the perfect conditions for fermentation. Without fermentation, the improvements from aging would be minimal or non existent, I suppose.
  • Options
    @xdutchx - I haven't read that article from Russ. I'll have to find it. I still believe that some changes occur while aromatic tobacco is cellared. Those changes may or may not be improvements. 

I guess I'm just being stubborn on this.
  • Options
    @xdutchx, @piperdave  - Here's a link I found to a file on Tobacco Aging, Storage and Cellaring FAQ. If the link doesn't work message me an email address and I'll send it to you.

• Options
    My pipe tobacco storage is a mixture of a cellar and a pantry. I have a large rotation of blends that I pick from every week that stay close by for ease of use. I also have a cellar section where I have some blends aging. With some of my blends, I keep a small mason jar for weekly use, and keep the rest of the blend in a bigger jar that I'll use to refill when low.

I've heard that aromatics don't age well, so I only have one aromatic blend aging at the moment (only because I have another jar of it open at the moment).
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @pappyjoe thank you for the link it works, I will give this a look.
  • Options
    I have a small assorted stock of both aromatics and English blends in a dining room buffet cabinet.  I tend to smoke what is there and add to my stock as I deplete my existing supply.  I never considered cellar storage of tobacco.  In fact, the only cellar storage presently is for the small supply of empty tobacco tins and cigar boxes that I save for re-purposing.  
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I don't think age hurts aro's. I've got 1Q that I've had for 20 some years that I think tastes just fine when I occasionally smoke a bowl. I should taste it compared to some fresh stuff.

My bulk cellar was mixed up twice first when I switched from bags in Tupperware tubs to when I switched to food saver bags and then to jars in 2007. Nothing was dated and I just had the mixture on the bag so I just mixed them all in tub and jarred it up. I'm smoking stuff that is dated 2007 but it's made up of tobacco from the mid 80's to 2007. It is in perfect condition and delicious.

Since were on a Lane site I'll point out most of my bulk cellar is PSBS, Crown Achievement, the Lane made Early Morning Pipe and more 1Q than I'll ever smoke.     
  • Options

I can't say for certain, but I am guessing that aromatics's may still benefit from "marrying," even though their humectants and antifungals won't allow them to ferment. In the cigar industry, you see tobacco benefit from the fermentation process in bales, and then after the cigars are rolled and boxed, you will sometimes see extended aging in aging rooms. This process doesn't allow the cigars to ferment again, but it does allow several different tobacco leaves contained in the cigar to marry. If the conditions are right, over time the cigars will develop plume. This is why some cigar smokers are particular about mixing different cigars in desktop humidors, and prefer a larger cabinet humidor, that will allow cigars of the same blend to remain contained in their original boxes. Cigars are like sponges, and will take on the flavors of other cigars in close proximity. This is why cigar reps are adamant about keeping flavored cigars out of a tobacconists primary walk in humidor.

Think of it the same way you would putting a roast into a crock pot. along with carrots, potatoes, onions, and spices. After an extended cooking time, the flavors tend to combine. I would like to think that this process is going on to a certain degree with my anaerobic European tins.