Home Ask an Expert
Options

Simple setup for buffing pipes and stems to bring back shine?

I have looked within TPL posts but haven't found anything exact so my apologies if I am asking an already posted question. I would like to know if someone could recommend a simple and ergonomic setup for a motor with buffing wheel or wheels? All I would like to do is buff my stems when they become oxidized and put a shine back on my pipes? I am not looking for anything major I do not want to get into any refurbishing or buying a lot of equipment. I have tried my drill and a cloth wheel from a local hardware but this becomes cumbersome to hold and work simultaneously. We have a Harbor Freight store which I have looked at bench grinders but I do not think this will give me what I am looking for when it comes to buffing attachments? Any guidance is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Just put a dremmel tool in a vise (Not to tight) and put a buffing disk on the dremmel and go at it. 
  • Options

One of the biggest mistakes made when buying a motor for a buffing wheel, is that they go out and purchase a high speed motor that spins too fast. Try looking for one in the 800 to 1700 rpm range and save some money, while saving your nomenclature and stem buttons. With the money saved, you should be able to buy several different high quality buffing wheels and quality buffing compounds, and possibly even rig an affordable dust collection system. This link should get you on the right track, and keep you from wasting money on items that aren't ideal.

https://rebornpipes.com/2012/07/18/using-a-buffing-wheel/

https://rebornpipes.com/2012/07/18/using-a-buffing-wheel/

• Options
    I posed the same question to Tim West at the NASPC show, he is one of the best pipe repairmen in the business, he said for buffing, all you need is a 1/3 horsepower motor at 1725 rpm's, and a 1/2 to 5/8 smooth single shaft , cost between $120-$150, put a cardboard box around it with a shop vac.
  • Options

Thank you @wolf41035 @xdutchx & @pipeman83 all of this information and links are exactly what I was looking for. These ideas get me started in the right direction. I really appreciate it.

• Options
    Are there any products on the market to help polish up a stem without a buffing wheel? I'm currently using the Decatur products HAZE-AWAY (stem oxidation removal), SHINE-BRITE (stem polishing compound), and NO-OX (stem oil) and am not at all impressed with the results. The NO-OX stem oil works best keeping stems already in good condition shiny, but does nothing to alleviate yellowish oxidation discoloration. The other two products usually just make my stem smell funny when I use them ... like burnt rubber.  
  • Options
    @ThePipeDean,your welcome,@ghostsofpompeii, I used those products also,your right, they work on stems that are in good shape, for a quick shine, but not on a oxidized stem,you have to use one of the other methods for those.
  • Options

Take a short board as wide as the body and about twice as long as your Drill (Variable speed if possible) clamp the drill to the board with 2 large Hose Clamps. take a large "C" Clamp and attach the board to a table or bench. Attach a buffing wheel  and set your drill speed to a low speed and buff away. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive buffing and polishing kit with 2 smaller wheels, a bar of Jeweler's Rouge and a bar of finer white compound.

I've used this drill setup for shaping and grinding wood and metals as well as buffing briar, hard rubber and plastic. Don't buff too hard that you remove logos etc. from the pipes and stems, test it out on a small area and if you smell burning rubber or wood, lower your speed.

• Options
    Ghost, I use a clean rag rubbed with Jeweler's Rouge and firmly rubbed a lot of that discoloration off. It takes longer but, I only set up the above setup if I have a larger job like a serious yellow or gray buildup.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Self evident, I'm sure, but worth mentioning. There is a difference between buffing wax and polishing. When you polish, i.e. remove scratches, you are removing material. Don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence but some thought should be spent in deciding if it would be better to leave some imperfections rather than take action which cannot be undone.

Using a wheel is somewhat of an art. Even after learning how to use it effectively I wasn't as adept as I thought I was. Only after years of using it did I have the proficiency that I wouldn't worry, and I'm talking about polishing things that cost more than an average house. 

No matter what you decide to do, practice and practice some more. Start on pipes that you wouldn't be too upset if they were blemished in some irreversible way.
  • Options
    Always good to practice first.