Home General
Options

Playing Devill's Advocate - The Flawed Logic Of Long Term Cellaring

First a word of explanation - I'm simply playing Devil's Advocate with this little exercise in the flawed logic of long term cellaring, and not criticizing those who do so. I myself have a cellar full of tobacco that will clearly outlive me - yet I continue to add to it on a regular basis. So I'm not an adversary of the 'Cellar Dwellers' - simply a concerned 'Brother Piper Of The Realm' expressing a germ of an idea for fellow pipers to mull over. With special emphasis on newbies.

First off, we all know the benefits of having a well stocked cellar. Especially in these uncertain times when favorite blends like the complete Dunhill line are being discontinued and the FDA Deeming Regulation case is looming before us putting even more blends in jeopardy. So we stock our cellar to insure a sufficient supply of our favorite blends should the unthinkable occur. We also cellar to age blends for a more perfect smoke. And we cellar because as common sense dictates, tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today. Prices go up on everything so it safe to assume the same holds true for tobacco. And chances are one of the by-products of the Deeming Regulations will invariably include some form of outrageous tax levied against pipe tobacco products, eventually pricing a majority of us out of the market. So having that fully stocked cellar will prove to be invaluable in the dark days ahead.

Now here's where my horns sprout and I assume the role of Devil's Advocate.

Once again, this little exercise in the flawed logic of long term cellaring is intended mainly as a cautionary tale for newbies who find themselves absorbing reams of new information pertaining to the hobby from both internet forums and YouTube Pipe Presenters, touting the merits of a well stocked cellar. But there's something to be learned for experienced smokers as well.

How many times have you heard or read a fellow piper state that their introduction to pipe smoking began with an OTC aromatic - usually a vanilla or chocolate cased Cavendish. But now only smoke quality English Latakia or Virginia Perique blends - and seldom, if ever, smoke a heavily cased aromatic.

Taste change.

The internet is filled with scientific studies that both claim and dispute a condition referred to as 'The Seven Year Palette Change'. This highly controversial study suggest that just as our body undergoes a complete regeneration every seven years as new cells replace old ones ... so too do our taste buds. Now like most information gleamed from the internet, facts and folklore often intersect - and the truth can usually be found somewhere in between. But I know for a fact that there are certain foods I hated as a kid which I now eat and enjoy regularly. And vise-versa. Some products I've eaten all my life no longer taste as flavorful as they once did. And I also know from experience that you can over-eat a certain food and make yourself sick - and as a result can't stomach the thought of putting it in your mouth again. I did it with canned Vienna Sausages. On a bet I ate six cans of Vienna Sausage - got deathly ill - and now can't walk past the canned meat aisle of a grocery store without getting queasy. 

Once again - taste change.

Now if that newbie with a penchant for vanilla Cavendish finds him or herself immersed in a conversation with a seasoned vet on the merits of cellaring, while factoring in these times of FDA uncertainty - another hot topic - a natural inclination could be to over-react and purchase pounds of bulk tobacco that meets their current flavor profile; deluding themselves into assuming that decades of smoking pleasure lay ahead. Of course that's provided their taste in tobacco remains unchanged and they don't follow suit with the multitude of experienced smokers with a discriminating palette whose taste in tobacco changed and matured.

A well stocked tobacco cellar can be an expensive investment. So before you commit to a cellar full of regret do as much experimentation with a wide range of blends. Cover the gamut from Burley to Red and Gold Virginias, Dark Fired Kentucky, Latakia, Orientals, Perique, Turkish, and Cavendish in all their many permutation. Weed out what you absolutely hate and cross it off your list early on. And if you're relatively new to the hobby I'd strongly suggest before stocking your cellar with a multitude of blends, choose two or three favorites that you think you can't live without ... and then if you so choose, stockpile them. Then you can always toss in an occasional tin or two of something new for variety sake without exhausting your bankroll.

And for the experienced old timers preparing for the uncertainty of what lies ahead - each of us taking stock of our inventory while scribbling a list for our next tobacco order - it might be time to take a hard look at the quantity of stock currently your cellar, work-up a realistic calculation of your tobacco usage, then ask yourself ... "Will I ever be satisfied with what I have? When is enough, enough? "

Comments

• Options

That's most likely some great advice. I think the same happens with pipes, in most cases. Someone new to the hobby, may purchase pipes that catch their eye for purely cosmetic purposes, then when they begin to sample different blends in different pipes, their tastes in pipe size, shape, or design may change as well.

As for aromatics vs. non aromatics, I think body chemistry has a lot to do with what an individual can tolerate. As you stated, we are in a constant state of change, and who knows what our tongue may tolerate or prefer 10 years down the road.

Even so, I am going to keep cellaring till I can't cellar no more.

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, great food for thought...
  • Options
    paulwansingpaulwansing Enthusiast
    I cannot imagine a time when my nights will not finish up with Nightcap!  Your post is food for thought, I have quite a bit of aromatic blends that I honestly don't know if I will ever smoke (but it is your taste bud change logic that keeps me from getting rid of them.) I really only cellar Nightcap in large amounts-I have jars that will hold 20-24 oz packed firm in the jar and I am sitting on a shelf full of those jars, but other blends I may grab a pound or two and call it good for the reason you mentioned.  I am partial to proper english and have a bit, but I went heavy on Plantation Evening from C&D during a sale and noticed I have been grabbing star of the east or cerebus instead lately.
  • Options
    Well, I don't see too long a life ahead but I have noticed a few things with ageing tobacco. Burleys age differently than Virginias. 30 yr. old PA tastes like a cigar. Virginias get sweeter. Latakia loses some of it's flavor after 3 yrs..
  • Options
    While accepting and understanding the premise of the original post, I find the flaw in cellaring not to be the act of buying and cellaring tobacco. Rather it is the act of buying too much of specific flavor profiles for cellaring which is a detriment. As a beacon of cellar clarity, I say do as I do and not construct your cellar of just "vanilla aromatic" or just English. Instead build a well rounded cellar filled with tobacco blends of all types. I have aromatics. I have English. I have VaPers. I have old codger blends like Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Half & Half. Buy and cellar variety! I ascribe to what I call the Noah's directive when purchasing tobacco. I buy two of each. One goes into the cellar and one gets smoked.

As for Dunhill, I may have a tin or two but not more than that in my cellar. I have found others that I like more and refuse to buy something just because of the name. I once drove a corvette. It was a crappy ride.
  • Options
    @Pappyjoe That's why I suggested trying everything you can before actually stocking your cellar so you can save time and money collecting tobacco blends you don't like. Stocking a well rounded cellar is fine for someone with a ravenous appetite for all types of tobaccos, or someone part of a pipe smoking community that meets up, shares, and experiment with different blends. Keeping a variety of blends around as more of a courtesy for others than yourself. But that's not me. Smoking is a solitary experience. We're all different, and at various stages in our life. I'm hitting a place in time where I've come to realize that after 50 years of pipe smoking there is a reason I've mainly smoked aromatics ... it's all I really like. I've tried others. Since my introduction to internet forums and the YouTube Pipe Community I actually forced myself to smoke non-aromatic VaPers, Cigar leaf blends, Balkan, and English blends because I thought I had stifled myself and wasn't going through the natural maturation process of a true pipe smoker; by truly experiencing the 'taste' of tobacco in it's purest form without sweet artificial flavoring masking the essence and nuance of the various tobaccos. I was working so hard at trying to be an honest to God pipe smoker that the level of enjoyment diminished. I thought there was something wrong with me. I could not get past my disliked of Latakia ... one of the most popular tobaccos, and the dominant tobacco in nearly all English blends ... so how could I possibly continue this growth process to attain honest to God pipe smoker status, if I couldn't overcome this one major hurtle. Then like a bolt of lightening it hit me ... when did I quit being the rebellious individual I'd been my entire life and now find myself overcompensating for my shortcoming by what-ever means to be accepted as one of the crowd. And eventually I realized my self inflicted problem was one of tunnel vision, not acceptance - I already was a part of the pipe smoking community - just not a fan of English blends. Lesson learned - now move on and load up a bowl of Molto Dolce. Sometimes you get caught up in semantics and your brain becomes your own worse enemy. But you'll probably notice the majority of discussions I post are not of the 'advice from an expert' variety but more along the lines of learning from my past mistakes. And believe me ... I've made many mistakes since creating my cellar. The majority of which are over-spending.     
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - learning from mistakes is called "gaining wisdom."

I started out smoking aromatics back in the 1970s. Took a break from daily smoking for about 14 years because one of our daughters had asthma and allergies and didn't want to subject her to pipe or cigar smoke. Started back with cigars and really found that I liked good Maduros. Then I picked up my pipe again and started out with mainly English or Virginia/Burley blends. I also discovered that I liked Latakia and Perique. Now I would say 5 out of 7 days, I'm smoking aromatics (smoked an entire tin of Molto Dolce after the eldest daughter got married).

With the exception of pipe club meetings, I am a solitary smoker for the most part. I do enjoy the occasional pipe with my sons - who are both pipe smokers - but the live in different parts of the state and we only see them once or twice a month. I really am a load up a pipe when I've finished work and relax kind of guy.

With a few exceptions, all the tobacco in my small cellar are ones I like and they are there because I will buy 2 tins of a blend at a time. I am good at self control though and exercise it quite often when it comes to tobacco and pipe purchases. I haven't placed a tobacco order since November for example. 

Too each his own. 
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Ghost of Pompeii, very good points in your post, much food for thought for any pipe smoker or pipe hobbyist. As to the cellaring of tobaccos, until I connected with This Pipe Life, never thought of such. If thought about in light of the potential changes from the Feds, might be a good idea. If as I have read, only mixtures produced after 2007 will be affected, yet unclear. My current thinking is to decide what types and blends one would consider smoking into the future, then begin to focus on establishing a stock of those. Example, I currently have an non-aromatic English blend that has been produced for 100 years, I have an aromatic blend that would be of rather recent origin. Both safe? Only one safe? Perhaps a prohibitive tax? Food for thought no doubt.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur

This posting and all of it's comments are what I truly enjoy about TPL. All the varying opinions and outlooks on the same subject but each
    and every person is correct based upon their own opinion and taste profiles. Just one more thing that makes me cherish the pipe that much more.