Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Pipe tobacco

I haven't found a pipe tobacco yet that I really like. I feel like I would like a sweet tobacco maybe like a cherry or vanilla that tast and smells good but there is so many to choose from any suggestions... Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PadraigPadraig Apprentice
    I found that my biggest disappointment with most aromatic "sweet" tobaccos is that they smelled great in the tin but were pretty bland when smoked. Most of them had the same cavendish base that all tasted the same when a flame was added to them and left my tongue scorched by the end of the night.

That changed when I smoked C&D Autumn Evening and Drew Estates Heirloom Cherry. I think the difference was the presence of Virginia tobaccos in them that added some sweetness of their own as well as some more complex flavors. Eventually those complex flavors got me to branch out into the world of non-aromatics. 

Ultimately, my advice would be to keep trying different things since your own palate and preferences are unique, and don't be afraid to experiment with non-aromatics. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask your tobacconist for recommendations.
  • Options
    Lane Dark Red (Awesome Cherry)

• Options
    pylornspylorns Apprentice
    Yeah, I really rarely smoke cherry blends, but I actually picked up 8oz of the dark red, was pretty good.  Additionally I'd suggest some of Dan Tobacco - Blue Note  - great aromatic. 
  • Options
    dumoulindumoulin Newcomer
    I agree with pylorns - Blue Note is a classic for a reason. It was one of my first tobaccos (16 years ago) and got me solidly into the hobby. Even though I'm a Virginia and VaPer guy these days, I still have a soft spot for the old Blue Note.
  • Options
    My favorite tobacco is/was Field and Stream! I love the flavor and  aroma, even the Mrs. likes it!  The "was" part, it's no longer made!  And the "match" tobaccos don't come close!  I watch the internet for anyone selling it, that's the only way I can get it to enjoy!  Cherry is ok, but Captain Black "Copper" is really good.(Pipes and Cigars)   Another good one to try is "Black Arrow" sold through Country Squire! Try those and you won't be disappointed! 
  • Options
    MacBaren  Vanilla Cream might do the trick for you.
  • Options
    Two that I've discovered in the past year or so that you might like are Drew Estate's Grand Central and Bjarne Viking's Odin's Wind. We do the New Orleans Pipe Club meeting on the outdoor smoking area of World of Beers and I was smoking Grand Central while waiting for everyone to arrive. One of the managers came out to see what we were smoking because some of the women were wondering what "that wonderful sweet smell" was. He said they thought they were baking raspberry muffins.

Odin's Wind is a mild aromatic with a nice vanilla/caramel flavor and not bite.
  • Options
    I agree with the others above that Lane Dark Red is fantastic. Sutliff Vanilla Custard is pretty sweet as well. If you can find some Hobbits Weed try it out, a top blend with some nice cherry flavor.
  • Options
    Find a good tobacconist online or IRL and let them help you dial in your palate. My local tobacconist has worked with me on finding the right tobacco and the right pipe for some killer smokes.
    Online purchase: I really like Cherokee for a middle of the road tobacco.
  • Options
    Scottys Trout Stream is the first aromatic that I really enjoyed all the way around, tin note, taste and room note. I like it so much that I currently have a few pounds put away just in case the FDA erases it from the market. I'm not sure if it's pre 2007 or not but, Pipes and Cigars already cut a few blends loose that I liked and I'm not taking any chances on this one.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    @Mjhalbach, Just an FYI Scotty's Trout Stream should be same. Was looking at reviews on the bend and a few of the oldest reviews I could find were dated back to 2006.

@Kwaite2011, have you found a blend that you like yet? Can you give us an idea of what you have tried so far? As for Cherry Blends I would agree Land Dark Red is good and Flambeau by The Country Squire is good. The Country Squire also has a blend called Seersucker which is a raspberry cream that I smoke from time to time.
  • Options

@dstrib, Thanks for the head up. I was pretty sure it was pre 2007, I think it was one of their original blends from when they were still in New York. I never even thought about looking to see how far back the reviews went.

• Options
    Kwaite2011 -- I was in the same boat until I found the Sutliff Private Stock heavily cased sweet tobaccos. I recommend Molto Dolce and Barbados Plantation.

• Options
    The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking
    By Dr. Fred Hanna, Ph.D

• Options
    PIPE TOBACCO RATING FORM

<<Instructions
    From the list of taste categories below, choose the factors that you believe are important in rating a tobacco. Rate the
    tobacco on each factor, using a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best. Note that there are so many categories that you can ignore
    rating categories you deem unimportant for that tobacco. For example, if tang, fruit, or spice is not present in the tobacco at
    all you would skip them or mark them as N/A. But if there is too much spice you would rate it as a 1 or 2 in that category.
    If you so choose, you can use multiple copies of the form for separate tastings of the same tobacco using different pipes.
    Please note that the form calls for two overall tobacco ratings. After filling in the appropriate categories rate the tobacco
    overall, first on how much you like it, and second, according to how the tobacco stands on it's own merits separately (as
    much as possible) from your own individual preferences. Add comments as appropriate. Comments can be overall notes
    and impressions. This could include flavor and performance at the top, bottom and middle of the bowl, as well as the cut of
    the tobacco or intangibles. You can also use comments for raves or curses as you so desire.>>

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 2.12.07 PM
  • Options
    @motie2 - thanks for posting a link to the Myth of Brand and Maker. I find myself in agreement with his findings. 
  • Options
    @Kwaite2011 It might sound like complete lunacy to you but a very nice sweet tasting fruit blend is Captain Black Grape. A lot of people who expected it to taste as bad as it sounds were pleasantly surprised ... including myself.