Home General
Options

PappyJoe - Long Smoking Contest Question

I noticed in the post regarding expensive pipes that you won a $400.00 pipe in a long pipe smoking contest. So you're the perfect person to answer this question for me.

There is obviously a special technique that transcends the normal smoking routine that you've mastered to keep a pipe going long after others have quit - so my question is do you employ that same smoking method as part of your normal smoking routine - or is it simply reserved for competitive purposes? Seems like the control required to keep the pipe going for such a long period of time might restrict you from fully enjoying your blend.

And for the newbies like myself, unfamiliar with long smoking competitions, can you give us a few details such as is everyone participating required to smoke the same type of pipe ... same tobacco blend? Or can you choose your own blend ... just the same pre-measured amount that everyone has?        

Comments

• Options
    I tend to smoke slow normally. I guess it's what some people call the "breathe method" where you just put the pipe in your mouth and let it hang there while your breath naturally but slowly. I don't see it as lessening the enjoyment at all. Just slowly inhale, hold it for a few seconds and then exhale. I think I pick up more notes of the tobacco that way instead of puffing faster and burning the tobacco faster. 

That's just my opinion. I have only participated in that one long smoke competition. I paid careful attention to packing my pipe with all of the tobacco given, kept the 1st match burning as long as I could to light the tobacco and then did the same with the second match. I also paid careful attention to tamping so that I didn't put my pipe out. The rules at the competition I was in didn't restrict you from taking the pipe out of your mouth to tamp. Some competitions have didn't rules.

At the Annual pipe night that I attended last year - and will be going to this year - you bring your own pipes. They provide everyone with the same amount of a blend that they have chosen. I want to say we were each given 2 grams for the competition. Some clubs give you less. Last year we smoked Red Rapparee. 

So to recap the keys:
    1. Pack correctly.
    2. Light correctly.
    3. Tamp judiciously
    4. Relax. 
  • Options

@PappyJoe Thanks for the info. I think without knowing it I've adapted the breathing method you just mentioned, probably the only difference is I tend to hold the pipe more than clench it between my teeth. Not only does it make for a long lasting smoke but has reduced the chronic tongue bite I suffered back when I was puffing light a freight train.

I need to get out more and seek out these pipe conventions and experience first hand events like the long smoking competition. Think I'd enjoy seeing something like that. 

• Options
    The Northeast event I went to provided us all with the same pipe and a wooden dowel 1/8" smaller than the bore as a tamper and 3 grams of Proper English. You had to have the pipe in your mouth when you tamped, you couldn't dump out ash, and you weren't allowed to cover the pipe with your palm. It was a lot of fun and I'm planning on going again this year. I think the NY pipe show has a slow smoke event too and I'm hoping to get there too.
  • Options
    @woodsman - that's a lot of rules. Were they corn cobs? It would get expensive if you have a lot of people participating.
  • Options
    I routinely get between 50 and 60 minutes out of my aromatics in my MM Corn Cobs. This is never fired up more than with a char light followed by a tamp and a real light. Often I just fire the bad boy up without the char. Now I think it is all due to the fact that I take my time filling the bowl and I might let it sit for 15 minutes or so before adding fire. I have had some bowls go just about an hour.

My question is, what sort of times do others get, and what sort of times win these events?
  • Options
    Pappy Joe we were all given identical Kaywoodie Shellcraft 16 pipes, the event used to be held at the factory. The $63 entry fee now covers the pipe as well. The New Dictatorial FDA rules prohibits free pipes as well. The contest itself was really a great  social event with good food and BYOB that was shared as well. There were only so many pipes but everyone that didn't get a pipe had a great time as if it was a pipe club meeting on steroids. I believe there were 52 pipes available. Last years winner was the first out at this one so, anyone can win. The world record is over 3 hours, this year's winner was about 1 hr. 14 min. Every one that participated was given a choice of tobacco donated from the hosting club's cellar. I wouldn't care if got nothing it was such a good time. 
  • Options
    @woodsman and @pwkarch - The Annual Pipe Night is sponsored this year by Mayan Imports but its really the same people who ran it for years as the Tinderbox Pipe Night. Everyone bring their own pipe but the pre-weighed amount of tobacco is selected by the organizers and no one knows what it is until we get there. Last year it was Red Rapparee.  If memory serves, the top five finishers win pipes with the winner picking first and then in order of the finish. 

We pay $51 to attend so there is nothing free given away. The money covers a goody bag, food and coffee, tea, soft drinks and beer. There is a cash bar for mixed drinks. 
    Steve Monjure from Monjure International will be there selling pipes also.

Time. Last year was the first time I entered a long smoke contest. I won with a time of 1:24:17. Second place was taken by the NOLA club member who won it the previous year with 1:21. 

The event is in a private hall owned by Andrea's Restaurant in Metairie. It's one of the top Italian restaurants in the New Orleans area. The hall is next door to the main restaurant. Since it's a private event, we are allowed to smoke.

I plan on using the same briar pipe I smoked last year.
  • Options

pwkarch. With the limitations put on you. 3 grams of tobacco, The dowel tamper doesn't let you move the tobacco around, no tools. you have 2 matches. you're given very limited time to prep tobacco and load. You have a limited char time, if you don't char then you are limited to 1 match. The timer starts on lightup.

As I said above to Pappy Joe; the world record is just over 3 hrs. The winner of the NE contest was about 1.hr 10 min. # people made it over an hour.

• Options
    OMG.....3 hours, I cannot imagine that. That piper is an expert at JUST keeping the embers on the cusp of going out, that has to take tremendous concentration and patience. Talk about slow smoking.

• Options
    Different events have different rules also. That can make a difference but it's not a big deal since everyone is operating by the same rules. 
  • Options
    Training for a slow smoking contest? Here are some training tips for the first time competitor: 

1) Smoke some of the contest blends before signing up
    2) Obviously, smoke slowly and find your rhythm
    3) Limit yourself to two matches per bowl; then one per bowl
    4) Try to limit tamping.
    5) Record your practice times and set goals for yourself.

• Options
    For the record:
    I attended the Annual Pipe Night in Metairie, LA tonight sponsored this year by Mayan Imports.
    I won the Long Smoke competition for the second year in a row. My final time was 1 hr. 27 minutes.

Picked up a beautiful Rinaldo Triade YT Apple.
  • Options
    Nice PappyJoe. Congatulations.
  • Options
    Congrats,PappyJoe.
    I haven't been in one of these in years. We used to use the rules that Paul Spaniola developed. I don't remember many details - we did use our own pipes and the blend that Paul had developed for these. I used to take along something to read. My personal best,I think, was about an hour 20 minutes. PappyJoe is on the money with his advice.
  • Options
    Congratulations, PappyJoe!  I love the knowledge I'm gaining from everyone's comments in this string.  I'm a newb of about six months and have learned cadence and packing is key to a good smoke. 

• Options
  • Options
    Very nice, great lines.
  • Options
    I gave it a break-in smoke today. Full bowl of Davidoff's Danish Mixture. Two match light and it burned 2/3rds of the way down before I had to relight. Just a small amount of dottle at the bottom of the bowl after 50 minutes.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    Nice looking Apple and to win it makes twice as sweet!
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    That is really cool. Nordings are nice pipes, but this one is a beauty. Keep on puffing!