Home General
Options

Apologies to all: I was required to re-register

GordonGordon Newcomer
edited March 2017 in General
This Pipe Life member @motie2 is now @Gordon

For those with whom I have interacted for several months: I found myself totally locked out of the site for trying to change my overly lengthy password. The admin named Nicole tried her best -- several times -- to help me, but things got progressively worse: Today, I received a no-reply email saying my password had been successfully changed. Nope.

I was able to sort of sign in with my old password, but the system tagged me as unregistered, and so I was unable to DM Nicole or post a cry for help in any forum. So I re-registered under a new name and password.

Trouble is, all my badges, bookmarks, etc. have vanished. I love this site, but I am so freakin' frustrated.

PS -- Those of you who still want copies of the two Theology of Pipe Smoking .pdf's and/or the Weber Art of Pipe Smoking .pdf can now get them -- I hope -- from @Gordon

Comments

• Options
    TtWmIATATtWmIATA Newcomer
    Glad you stuck it out and got back in. This site has sooo many bugs and is less than user friendly. The slow log in process, lack of ability to change user name, functions that work in some web browsers but not in others, just to name a few.  I believe some of the log in issues are likely related to this being a site run by STG, a big bad tobacco company, but the others seem to be known programming defects that are not getting fixed.  Frustrating, yet for some reason I keep coming back. 
  • Options
    GordonGordon Newcomer
    @TtWmIATA  Thank you and bless you for your comments. I thought it was all on me.
  • Options
    Glad you're back in as well, but sorry to hear that all your badges and bookmarks are gone. Can't they supersede normal protocol and at least get you your badges, points, and upgraded status replaced? 
  • Options
    GordonGordon Newcomer
    @ghostsofpompeii -- I've written about this to Admin Nicole, who has tried to help me over the past few days. Hope springs eternal......
  • Options
    Similar thing happened to me on another site after a crash required me to get another system. It wouldn't accept my password and I had to re register under a new name & password losing all my old mails and credits.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Sir,

This may have nothing to do with the source of your problem, but when I log in using my normal Safari browser this particular web site does not like it. It gives me the problem you described above. It does not recognize my account or take the password. It's very odd, I can only read posts as an unregistered user. But when I sign in on a Google browser I'm in like Flynn.

Lucky for us all the good posts you have put up are all saved. 
  • Options
    GordonGordon Newcomer
    @Philip -- Thank you for the information. I'm using Chrome, but the symptoms you describe are what happened before I re-registered. No problems now, except for extreme slowness when compared to other sites. That, and losing all my badges, etc.
  • Options
    Forgive my double or triple posting this, but I wanted to get the And now as of today, the system lords and Admin Nicole have given me back my identity as @motie2. (I don't know if I have all of my badges, etc. back, but I guess I'll find out.)So, I'm going to let @Gordon retire. Henceforth, please use @motie2
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Well, @motie2, I'm glad you got your handle back. I did reply in the books thread to @Gordon
    though. So anywho, Welcome Back !
  • Options
    Sometimes I hate technology. Doing a hard reset can leave me feeling like I lost all my green stamps, and have to start saving again from scratch.
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    Welcome back!!!  Technology is a Son of a B$@*$%
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your kind words.
    @LostMason -- Did I send out the pdf's you wanted? BTW, how lost are ye? Have you met @2b1ask1 ?
  • Options
    @motie2 , I'm sorry to say the I'm so lost that the only light
    I see is a muted Bic. That would explain why I use a Calibri
    pipe lighter. I am acquainted with 2b1ask1, and have explained
    my distance from the fraternity. (at least as much as I will say
    on a forum or email)
  • Options
    And yes I got the pdf's,,,Very entertaining,,Thank You !
  • Options
    @LostMason, a brother is never distant from his brothers.
  • Options
    I can't/wont comment further on that. But I will add this advise, cherish the
    relationships you have, tend them as if they're your children. When things go
    sideways with one or more, don't sit back to see what happens. Step up/in
    and be a friend, a mediator, a support. Don't let them give up.
  • Options
    Hi all-

I want to thank @motie2 for his patience while I worked through some technical issues on his account, as well as the rest of the users who've experienced our growing pains over the past 9 months.

I promise we've heard all your feedback in regards to log in issues and timing. Our development team has finally identified a fix for most of these issues. We are implementing these upgrades over the next few weeks, and adding new features to TPL as well.

I'm really excited to make TPL a better experience for all pipe smokers, new and old.

Nicole
  • Options
    What an incredibly gracious lady is our @NicoleSTGLaneLtd
    We're lucky to have her help and attention.

Single rose